k-9 Kondo

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

k-9 Kondo

Post by nikegundog » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:01 pm

I couple k-9 Kondos came up for sale in the local classifieds. Anyone use them? Are there any problems with them?

Jager

Re: k-9 Kondo

Post by Jager » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:58 pm

We have 4. Love them!! Hope to never buy another dog box again. Very easy to clean and you can get an optional heater for the inside. Which we have as well. Even though our dogs generally stay inside at night. But it's nice for them during the day when we are at work. The dogs seem to like them. You can prop the door open when it's nice out so that they can lay inside & look out. Worth the cost.
Dear Lord, Please make me the kind of person my dogs think I am.

http://www.allnkennels.com

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:20 pm

i have a couple along with the dog dens made by same company. They are easy to keep clean and dogs stay warm as being from Iowa its cold in the winter and my dogs stay outside. The only thing I dont like about them is there is nothing to keep the bedding in the barrel and the dogs kick it out pretty easily, to witch then I went to the dog dens but they are allot more expensive. How much did they want for the ones you came accross.
Jerry Alden

2X NGDC/GFC/FC Clk's Point Me The Way ( Allie ) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2765

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:26 pm

They had 2, XL $150, L $100. with heaters

Crystal kennels

Post by Crystal kennels » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:14 pm

That's a great price!!! I have 2 and we really like them.................

Judy
German Shorthaired pointers proven on wild birds and in competition

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:21 pm

I should have mentioned that we have the Dog Den 2 with heaters in each. If that is what you are getting in the classifieds...that's an awsome price, I'd scoop them up before someone else does....as, I'm sure you have looked up the new ones on their website and the cost of them.

windswept

Post by windswept » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:30 pm

There were mine and I sold them both right away. Wish I had 10 more. Plenty of calls!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:39 pm

So much for that, I guess I can go goose hunting tomorrow :D

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:59 am

Have 3 and LOVE them.

I need to buy heaters for them. Anyone have the Hound heaters? Pros, cons, FYI feedback on them? http://www.k-9kondo.com/products/Hound- ... -Volt.html

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:23 am

PntrRookie wrote:Have 3 and LOVE them.

I need to buy heaters for them. Anyone have the Hound heaters? Pros, cons, FYI feedback on them? http://www.k-9kondo.com/products/Hound- ... -Volt.html
I use the Hound Heater up here in Canada. Works great. Keeps the dog house warm for the dogs. I keep it set around 40 degrees and it keeps the house quite warm even in the cold winter for me here...

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:08 am

I have thought about getting some of these. For those who have them with heaters, what do you use for bedding?

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:28 pm

MTO4Life wrote:I use the Hound Heater up here in Canada. Works great. Keeps the dog house warm for the dogs. I keep it set around 40 degrees and it keeps the house quite warm even in the cold winter for me here...
Do you put hay/straw in there too?

Upland Point

Post by Upland Point » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:21 pm

I have three, best dog house on the market!

windswept

Post by windswept » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:59 pm

They really are great dog houses. I am the one who was selling them in the ad this thread refers to and I used mine for 3 or 4 years in the cold South Dakota winters. They were still in very good shape the day I sold them. No edges to chew. The inside floor got a little surface rust so I just bought horse stall mats and cut them to fit in the bottom. I did use straw bedding for a few weeks but I was too nervous about the possibility of fire so I got rid of it and never used any other type of bedding.
If you are thinking about buying one I don't think you'll go wrong.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:19 pm

windswept wrote:The inside floor got a little surface rust so I just bought horse stall mats and cut them to fit in the bottom.
I cut mats for mine also but condensation under the mat still caused the floor to rust. I took one of the floors to a sheet metal shop and had then make me three out of stainless steel. I'll probably cut poultry panels from FarmTek to fit the floor when I replace the mats.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:32 am

Again, how does hay/straw work in the winter with the side wall heaters? Safe? I have pointers in Wisconsin...what temp do most of you "northerners" set them at...40, 50?

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:04 am

PntrRookie - We have heaters in our Dog Den 2 houses. I'm not sure if you are asking about heaters for the barrel style house (K9 Kondo) or the den style. The company actually makes 3 styles. I can't comment on the barrel style, since we don't have them. As for the dens that we have....I looked up on their website and apparently the style of heater that they are now selling is different from the heater that we got from them when we bought our dens. The heaters that they were selling at the time are/were mats that go under the floor. Kinda like radiant floor heating. There is no heater that sticks out the side of the kennel. Ours looks like a large heating pad that is under the metal floor inside. They work wonderful and the dogs stay nice & warm. We did up straw in there at one point, but it made a terrible mess that we stopped. Then we tried rugs. But the rug got stuck in the door and trapped our dog inside for a couple hours before we knew it, so we took them out. Now we don't have anything in there. The dogs get a little "gray" looking from the metal floor, but we haven't found anything else to put in there. Someone above mentioned a horse stall mat, that's sounds like a good idea, but haven't tried it. I would recommend calling the company and see what they suggest. With the new heaters coming out the side of the house, I don't know how that all works. Call the company (800) 779-3546. When I order ours they were super helpful on the phone.
Info from their website, http://www.k-9kondo.com/pages/FAQs-Abou ... aters.html:

FAQs About Hound Heaters
Q. Where is the optional pet heater located?

A. The Hound Heater Pet House Furnace is installed on the back wall of the Dog Den to keep your dog warm. It is powered by 110-volt household current and uses a maximum of 150 watts.

Q. Can I use dog bedding with the Hound Heater?

A. Yes it can be used with this pet heater.

Q. Is there any danger of the dog bedding catching fire from use?

A. No, the pet heater is not a fire hazard when used properly.

Q. Is the electrical cord protected from dog chewing?

A. No. The cord passes through the back wall of the Dog Den. The Dog Den should be positioned in such a way that the cord is not accessible to the dog.

Q. How many watts is Hound Heater Pet House Furnace rated at?

A. The Hound Heater produces 150 watts and draws only one amp. It must be used with a 110-volt ground fault receptacle.

Q. How warm will the Hound Heater keep my Dog Den?

A. The Hound Heater pet furnace will keep your dog warm and comfortable even in very cold climate areas. Temperatures are dependent on the size of the Dog Den, outside temperatures, and wind velocity. Approximate settings are as follows: Low/Medium, 45–75° F; Medium/High, 50–80° F.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:37 am

Jager,
Thanks for the reply. The Hound Heater is installed inside the dog den. I do like it and will probably buy 2. Just would like first hand knowledge of how to handle/watch the bedding issue. I have contacted the company (via email) and they have not responded.

BTW the floor mats are the way to go!