Chukar dogs

Birddogz

Chukar dogs

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:00 pm

Chukar are one of the few birds I have never hunted in the wild. Have any of you ever had a dog jump off of a cliff? It seems like a hard charging dog may do that from time to time.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: Chukar dogs

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:03 pm

That's another reason to have a fully broke dog.It has happened though.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:15 pm

I was looking at some pics on the website of a PP breeder the other day. The caption on one of the pictures says "never shoot a bird that flushes over the cliff - your dog may try to retrieve it."

(I'd post the dang pic, but can't for some reason)

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:30 pm

I would be concerned about that very problem.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

NA

Post by NA » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:32 pm

Haven't personally had it happen but know of a guy here in Utah that had it happen. Luckily the dog survived and is still tearing upthe chukar hills.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:42 pm

I've heard of it happening, but not with my dogs...yet. I could see how it could happen. Some dogs are so fast that they would be on the edge or over before they even realized it.
Tom

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:40 pm

One of my males has gone over a cliff before. He got up like nothing happened. It wasn't a huge drop, but probably 20-30 feet.

There are many places we hunt where the drops can be a couple hundred feet onto boulders. A broke dog is much safer out there.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Ridge-Point wrote:One of my males has gone over a cliff before. He got up like nothing happened. It wasn't a huge drop, but probably 20-30 feet.

There are many places we hunt where the drops can be a couple hundred feet onto boulders. A broke dog is much safer out there.
Wow, a couple hundred feet. That gives all new meaning to "broke" dog. As in either train your dog, or he could get "broke."

ISAYWHOANOW

Post by ISAYWHOANOW » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Its a great way to sort dogs out real quick. yes it happens. I've never had one dumb enough to do it. Thank god. But if one does i would consider them worthy of the Darwin award.... I have had them real cliffed up before. thats where the training comes in and trust working them back out and up.

Ryan.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:19 am

What's really amazing is that more dogs don't get hurt while Chukar hunting. To watch a dog move out as quickly as they do over such broken ground filled with rocks and animal holes is really a testement as to how athletic and fleet of foot they really are. I can barely pick my way through some of these areas in a slow walk while these dogs do it at a full run.
Last edited by Gordon Guy on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:51 am

I have no personal knowledge of a dog killed Chukar hunting from a cliff dive, but it could happen, I would think its most likely to occur with an inexperienced dog or as mentioned, one that is chasing. I know of three afflicted with severe heat stroke, two labs and an overweight GSP some tool fed about three times a day; two died and one lab that was never the same. I also know of a Brittany that was caught and killed by a big male lion while chukar hunting, the dog was tracked on a Garmin and a lion busted off his corpse.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:30 am

Yup. lotsa ways to get injured out there for both dogs and hunters...now I'm not talking anything serious like getting poked by a -40 degree cattail or something, just the usual cliffs, traps, snares, lions, old wells, new wells, snakes, barbed wire, etc. I have had dogs go off cliffs a couple times. One time it was a thing of beauty that amazes me to this day, the other with sickening consequences that affected the dog for life. Being broke had nothing to do with either episode and neither dog would I put in as contenders for Darwin awards - shiz happens with hard chargers, just like human athletes/race horses/etc, they get dinged up and worse sometimes.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 am

rerun...

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:56 am

Holy smokes Chukar! That pic gives me the willies! Never have been a huge fan of heights and dogs mixing. I'll stick to rolling hills. :D

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:29 am

That pic should go on the cover of PDJ! Nice looking britt, chukar. :) Sure glad I don't have to hunt that terrain.

Cheryl

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Birddogz Doug or Chukar should comment on this,but I do believe they hold a few Wild Chukar field trials on some of this terrain.Don't you think that would equal or surpass your wild winter phez hunt? :D

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Chukar12 wrote:rerun...
Who took that pic and where on earth were they standing :o ...have you ever hunted ptarmigan with that dog? can we borrow him when we go :D .....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:37 pm

I may have posted this before but this dog has 4 teeth removed that broke off after he went over a cliff as a pup. He tried to stop but the motion took him over, I thought it killed him.
After the dental work and head xrays he was declared ok but really banged up.
He has since turned out to be one of the best chukar dogs I have and is also a heckuva FT dog :wink: .
They figure it out and realize they have to be careful
So to answer your question, yes dogs will go over cliffs ecspecially if they are young and dumb!

Here's one of my pup at 7 months old. She is a bit smarter and more cautious so I haven't worried about her too much.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:47 pm

I don't know about the surpassing of difficulty in the birds, but I would sure be interested in watching a purely wild chukar FT. That would be intense. How do you ride horses through that stuff?

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Birddogz wrote:I don't know about the surpassing of difficulty in the birds, but I would sure be interested in watching a purely wild chukar FT. That would be intense. How do you ride horses through that stuff?
You dont ride horses, at least I would not. As for difficulty each bird has its problems, usually chukars have the elevation advantage and hear/see you coming and they move off or bust wild. Sometimes you find dumb ones, sometimes you find smart ones. Also the physical demand that the dogs are put through is unreal, the ability to use the wind and thermals in canyons to find birds is a neat thing to watch. Hitting objectives, like rock outcroppings and small ridges hidden from the elements. Dogs learn real fast where the birds are. Then also being able to handle and point a late season covey makes it all worthwhile! Both birds fun to hunt, though I think a little easier with a covey bird versus a rooster that just runs off! Give me a springer for ditch parrots and a solid pointing dog for Chuks anyday!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Dirtysteve, i was trying to see what that middle pic was of and finally noticed a dog in it :lol: talk about a helicopter view, thats awesome!!....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:30 pm

Elkhunter wrote:
Birddogz wrote:I don't know about the surpassing of difficulty in the birds, but I would sure be interested in watching a purely wild chukar FT. That would be intense. How do you ride horses through that stuff?
You dont ride horses, at least I would not. As for difficulty each bird has its problems, usually chukars have the elevation advantage and hear/see you coming and they move off or bust wild. Sometimes you find dumb ones, sometimes you find smart ones. Also the physical demand that the dogs are put through is unreal, the ability to use the wind and thermals in canyons to find birds is a neat thing to watch. Hitting objectives, like rock outcroppings and small ridges hidden from the elements. Dogs learn real fast where the birds are. Then also being able to handle and point a late season covey makes it all worthwhile! Both birds fun to hunt, though I think a little easier with a covey bird versus a rooster that just runs off! Give me a springer for ditch parrots and a solid pointing dog for Chuks anyday!
How do Chukar hold in comparison to a wild pheasant? They are the one bird that really intrigues me.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:45 pm

Chukars hold quite well if a dog stands them off. If he crowds them they will blow out. Late season birds can get skittish and a big nosed dog really shines during that time.
Dirtysteve, i was trying to see what that middle pic was of and finally noticed a dog in it talk about a helicopter view, thats awesome!!....ruth
I shoulda pointed him out...sorry

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:47 pm

It varies greatly. General rules can apply, early season coveys heavy with young birds may hold in cover. Birds caught in the open may flush at noise or sight hundreds of yards away. I have seen coveys crawl over rocks for several hundred yards snaking like an ant troop. I have relocated a dog on singles for several hundred yards on a barren slope you would swear a bird had to be in sight and finally pin it. There are just so many variables on the birds and the country.

There are trials where wild chukar are encountered. The Robertsons place for sure, Mile Post 9 on the AA course and Red Rocks.

There are plenty of places I can hunt from horseback and others where it isn't feasable. Where I would feel safe putting large groups of people on horseback and there is enough real estate and birds for a wild chukar trial is just too remote to get people too. Large rigs with trailers just could not get there, no facilities for a hundred miles and several hours of rough desert roads.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:10 pm

It varies greatly. General rules can apply, early season coveys heavy with young birds may hold in cover. Birds caught in the open may flush at noise or sight hundreds of yards away. I have seen coveys crawl over rocks for several hundred yards snaking like an ant troop. I have relocated a dog on singles for several hundred yards on a barren slope you would swear a bird had to be in sight and finally pin it. There are just so many variables on the birds and the country.

There are trials where wild chukar are encountered. The Robertsons place for sure, Mile Post 9 on the AA course and Red Rocks.

There are plenty of places I can hunt from horseback and others where it isn't feasable. Where I would feel safe putting large groups of people on horseback and there is enough real estate and birds for a wild chukar trial is just too remote to get people too. Large rigs with trailers just could not get there, no facilities for a hundred miles and several hours of rough desert roads.
+1

I've seen points on singles within feet, but generally chukar dogs that I'm fimiliar with learn to point birds a long way off. And relocate either at will or on command depending on the likes of the handler

I love it out here....It's no country for old men.

This last Jan 2011 a friend of a friend had a bad fall during a late season hunt, broke 3 ribs, punctured a lung, it took 3 rescue attempts before they were able to get him out 7 hours later. The first attempt by Life Flight in Boise was called off because of fog. The 2nd was the local Oregon Sheriff department, they failed because of their equipment and finally the "Life Flight" out of Bend, finally got him at 11:00 PM. He's okay the last I heard.
Tom

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Yup. lotsa ways to get injured out there for both dogs and hunters...now I'm not talking anything serious like getting poked by a -40 degree cattail or something, just the usual cliffs, traps, snares, lions, old wells, new wells, snakes, barbed wire, etc
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Crashola

Post by Crashola » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:18 pm

I echo what everyone else has said about chukar hunting. And I would add one thing: It's highly addictive! I don't even ski in January anymore because there's too much chukar-chasing to be done.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:38 pm

Chukar12 wrote:I have no personal knowledge of a dog killed Chukar hunting from a cliff dive, but it could happen, I would think its most likely to occur with an inexperienced dog or as mentioned, one that is chasing. I know of three afflicted with severe heat stroke, two labs and an overweight GSP some tool fed about three times a day; two died and one lab that was never the same. I also know of a Brittany that was caught and killed by a big male lion while chukar hunting, the dog was tracked on a Garmin and a lion busted off his corpse.
I have always wanted to hunt wild Chuckar but might pass just because of the cliffs and the Mt. lion ! F*!$% cougars !

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:00 am

Find Nat'l Am Chukar SD Ch., Milepost 9:

Handler, Reg. 9 NGSPA Ch's:

Training backside Milepost 9:

Get'n up where the birds are:

Like any gamebird, they is where they is, you go them, they don't come to you. :wink: :

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:12 am

I guess I'd only go chuckar hunting if DGFavor invited me lol

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:38 am

:lol: :lol: Don't always have to go risk life and limb to bag the chuks - creatures of habit, just gotta know their habits...sometimes they like to wander around the flats! http://www.vimeo.com/19285158

How tough can it be if I can get my wife up after 'em!!?? She won't go after 'em on foot but she'll let a horse pack her up the mountain!! :lol: :lol: http://www.vimeo.com/20867194

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:56 am

Doug You and The other Chuckar guys need to do a full calendar and full video hunt.. Love you photos Doug. Awe inspiring to say the least.

Great start to the day thanks,.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:17 am

No doubt about, I would pay for that calendar, Rick.

Those pictures are just unbelievable. Made my day, too (and my new desktop pic!)

(Put that one by Chukar in there as well, though it gives me the heeby-jeebies seeing his Britt that close to the edge)

I'd bet there aren't alot of obese chukar foot- hunters - man or dog.

bhulisa

Post by bhulisa » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:36 am

Truly awesome, inspiring and beautiful pics! I can't wait for our fun season to open in May :D

Quill Gordon

Post by Quill Gordon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:52 pm

sometimes they like to wander around the flats
Thats an old wives tale. After readin this thread I see they let just about anyone in here

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:45 pm

After readin this thread I see they let just about anyone in here
Lucky for you! :) Nice picture!
Tom

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:47 am

DGFavor, awesome photos you have there!

Quill Gordon

Post by Quill Gordon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Gordon Guy wrote:
After readin this thread I see they let just about anyone in here
Lucky for you! :) Nice picture!
Grazie. Si, I'm in short supply of luck

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:52 am

This is the most inspirational thread I've read yet!

Vision

Post by Vision » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:10 pm

Birddogz wrote:Chukar are one of the few birds I have never hunted in the wild. Have any of you ever had a dog jump off of a cliff? It seems like a hard charging dog may do that from time to time.
I had one jump off a 12-15 foot cliff to point a single at a FT. Ron Laird was the judge it blew us both away to see him do that. Stood broke and then proceeded to break on a back 10 minutes later.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:48 pm

I have learned one thing from this thread.....

I need to go chukar hunting!!
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Holy Geezus Brandon, you better hope Miss Jenny does'nt see that pic of her Baby Angel............ :o

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:53 pm

[quote="DGFavor"]Yup. lotsa ways to get injured out there for both dogs and hunters...now I'm not talking anything serious like getting poked by a -40 degree cattail or something, just the usual cliffs, traps, snares, lions, old wells, new wells, snakes, barbed wire, etc. I have had dogs go off cliffs a couple times. One time it was a thing of beauty that amazes me to this day, the other with sickening consequences that affected the dog for life. Being broke had nothing to do with either episode and neither dog would I put in as contenders for Darwin awards - shiz happens with hard chargers, just like human athletes/race horses/etc, they get dinged up and worse sometimes.

That is a great picture. Unfortunately no chukars and no cliffs in ON . :) ( well we do have Niagara Falls. )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Great pics and videos