New to forum looking for experienced knowledge

DBoston

New to forum looking for experienced knowledge

Post by DBoston » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:54 pm

Hey everyone, been lurking this site for a while and decided to set up an account. Everyone seems to know their stuff and would like to aquire that knowledge so what better place to start right? First off a quick backround then to a few quick questions. I'm 22 been hunting waterfowl and upland game since i was 7 with the old man. not new to gun dogs and pops always had retrievers growing up. just finished fire college and after a year away ready to get back into hunting since where i was there was no time. Done alot of research for about the last year to getting myself my first gun dog. Pretty set on a GSP. I know I fit all the requirments this dog will need and would have no problem with the training aspect. Now for where im going to start needed help (more posts to come im sure). I live in Sault Ste Marie Ontario Canada which is a boarder town too the twin, sault ste marie Michigan. I've looked at alot of breeders in ontario and found most are breed for show rings and not field trials. I've heard great things from alot of kennels. I have no problem travelling to pick a puppy up or look at breeders. Im looking for FC sires and dams with a breeder who doesnt have to be the biggest or well known but one that puts out great pups. My knowledge in the pedigree side of dogs is limited to say the least so I'm not sure who to watch for and so on. Any information on breeders to get in touch with, people to talk too, or people to watch for or really any knowledge that can be shared would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and looking forward to learning alot from everyone...

D. Boston

MTO4Life

Re: New to forum looking for experienced knowledge

Post by MTO4Life » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:52 pm

I know a guy in Pembroke, ON that has exceptional GSP's. I belonged tothe pointing dog club he belongs to before I moved to Barrie, ON. He is heavy into competing in NAVHDA and field tests. His GSP's are already UT in NAVHDA and may have already finished thier FDX in ONtario now (same as MH in the U.S.). If you want his contact info, he can definately point you in the right direction with excellent GSP's in Ontario. Let me know.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:50 pm

If you plan on using the dog for upland and waterfowl where you live I would look at another breed. Also dont let geography dictate the dog you choose. Thats my .02 worth :lol:
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

DBoston

Post by DBoston » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:If you plan on using the dog for upland and waterfowl where you live I would look at another breed. Also dont let geography dictate the dog you choose. Thats my .02 worth :lol:

just out of curiousity why would u recommend another breed? is it because of the temperature changes or geography? and what would u reccomend? thanks again guys

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:11 pm

I live in SW Ontario but where you are , the cold sets in much earlier. I would bet a good part of the waterfowl season is in very cold water and even skim ice.

Cold water work is not a big strength of the GSP - generally speaking, I'm sure there are some that would love cold water. :) No double coat like some other dogs. Hypothermia a real worry in icy water.

If I lived where you lived, I'd be buying a Chessie. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Thinking

Post by Thinking » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:50 am

I know your neck of the woods, and I'd go with either 1) a Pudelpointer or 2) a Drahthaar before a GSP. Both have better coats for water work, and tolerate the cold much better. These are of course generalizations, there are always exceptions to everything.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:55 am

Not sure how long your duck season is or how many days a season you hunt them, but the GSP has its limits. (I love GSP's) Not because of desire, not because it wont do it. Just body structure. In the duck blind I hunt mine down into air temps of the high thirties, with little wind. Then I use my larger heavier coated, French britt down into lower temps when the water is open. I would not hunt them in a river or ocean below Mid twenties as a rule.

If you do wish to stick with a GSP and will have many Duck hunts look for a larger boned GSP and with a more course coat.
Crystal Kennels in NY may have something or know some one.
Thunder Head Kennels in WI great dogs.
There is a guy in PENN. ???? I saw a couple of his dogs and they had very heavy coats for GSP.

There are many breeders that would fit. Check out NAVHDA, you will see more of that body and coat style. IMO
Otherwise breed wise, Check out this guy, has some great Dogs that are tough stylish, great coats, great desire.

Bob Farris, Owner/Trainer
12635 Cedarwood Boise, ID 83709
(208) 322-7792
Email: bobfarris@cedarwoodgundogs.com

There is a nother in Quebec that belongs to NAVHDA but can not remember his kennel name, they have very nice PP.
Good luck.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

solon

Post by solon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:31 am

Maybe this kennel would be an option. I visited there once.

http://www.pineridgepudelpointers.com/

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:03 am

!!!!Thats the one I could not remember!!! :mrgreen:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick