E-Collar On a Budget

HDAU

E-Collar On a Budget

Post by HDAU » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:41 pm

I am looking for an e-collar, but I have a fixed budget. I would like to keep it under $300, but absolutely cannot go over $350. I have a 6 month GSP and like the idea of the beeper combo for hunting quail in the southeast, but can possibly be talked out of it with good reasoning. This is the best product I have found in that price range. Anybody else have an opinion that you want to share? Thank you!
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... %3D1170733

displaced_texan

Re: E-Collar On a Budget

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:52 pm

I hate listening to a beeper. I'm not planning on conditioning either of the dogs I have now to it, as I can't imagine that they enjoy it any more than I do...

I'm partial to Tritronics.

With a little shopping quality used items can be had cheap if you are on a budget.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:01 pm

This is what I have . It has worked great for many years.

The e collar / beeper combo is much more money. I have the Dogtra 2500 ( for one collar)... $449.00 in Canada.

http://www.tritronics.com/sport-basic-g3-exp.html

http://www.dogtrastore.com/2500tb1.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:14 pm

I had a Sport Upland, worked great.

Actually, it still works great, I just got a Pro 200, and am halfway trying to sell the remote and beeper from the Sport unit...

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:46 pm

Buy a reconditioned colar from he Collar Clinic. If you don't need one that includes the garbage truck beeper, you can get one for less than 1/2 your budget. I have bought several Dogtra collars from them and zero complaints.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:30 pm

displaced_texan wrote:I hate listening to a beeper. I'm not planning on conditioning either of the dogs I have now to it, as I can't imagine that they enjoy it any more than I do...

With a little shopping quality used items can be had cheap if you are on a budget.
I hate hearing the beeper too which is why I am buying the Dogtra 2500. The transmitter in your hand operates the e-collar and the beeper. When you wondering where you dog is, you press "beeper" on the transmitter and voila'.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Fester

Post by Fester » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:51 pm

What someone already said Collar Clinic, they have anything you want and it will look and last like a new one
Fester

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Ditto on the Tri-Tronics Sport Basic G3 EXP

willt

Post by willt » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:56 pm

I have the tri tronics basic g3 it is compatable up to 3 dogs love it and its only 239 or u could get the tri tronics g3 combo for 269, I would highly recommend it and when u get more money u could add a beeper later.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Tritronics Sport Combo. The Basic is good too. Both good choices at a good price.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:15 pm

I like TriTronics products. They do what you need and they last.

You can get a Field 90 that will do anything you could want an e-collar to do for $359 direct from Tritronics. This is a unit that is tough and reliable enough for a professional trainer.

By the way, if you can scrounge up an old, even a non functioning tritronics collar or transmitter you can send it back to them and they will give you a 25% discount on a brand new unit.

FWIW, I use a Flyway Special that I have had for over 20 years. I had them replace the battery once and had them do an upgrade once(for a bit more than the price of a new battery) but that was it.

RayG

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Sharon wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:I hate listening to a beeper. I'm not planning on conditioning either of the dogs I have now to it, as I can't imagine that they enjoy it any more than I do...

I hate hearing the beeper too which is why I am buying the Dogtra 2500. The transmitter in your hand operates the e-collar and the beeper. When you wondering where you dog is, you press "beeper" on the transmitter and voila'.
That's all I ever used mine for...

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:49 am

Keep an eye out.on cabelas bargain cave, midway usa clearance section, lion country scratch and dent.
I have had a pair of lovetts beeper collars for about five years now collecting dust. I only bought them for the hawk scream hopeing it would stop running gambels and scaled quail.
Ps petsafe and sportdog are best avoided in my opinion. They are the same company. I have had nothing but bad luck. Their remote should be in a dollar.store kids toy. The collar bands break the first day.

HDAU

Post by HDAU » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:26 am

Thank you all!

rollick

Post by rollick » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:47 am

I was just about to post a nearly identical question when I noticed this post. As always, you people have offered very helpful information. I just wanted to thank you. Gun Dog Forum is the greatest! :D