Preparing for new pup...

mykp13

Preparing for new pup...

Post by mykp13 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Looking for advice on preparing for new pup. Not on how to deal with the puppy, on what things to get in line for training. Necessary equipment, birds/ cages etc. Been reading about pigeons and quail. What equipment is necessary and what is optional? I have probably six months to prepare, I like to start early. :D Any information would be helpful. I would really appreciate detailed opinions/information on quail and pigeons. Thanks
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. ~George William Curtis

SetterNut

Re: Preparing for new pup...

Post by SetterNut » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:19 pm

What type of dog, pointing or flushing? I assume pointing.

If you can have a pigeon coop it willl save you money on bird if you get homers. Quail I would just find someone to buy a few from. If you have some wild quail around all the better. Pen raised quail don't always fly that well and can cause problems in your training at times.

Launcher and pigeons can get you a long way in training a pointing dog.
Steve

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:42 pm

Which setter line did you end up chosing?

mykp13

Post by mykp13 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:41 am

Put deposit on a pup from Beirl Setters in Minnesota. They are Ryman/Old Hemlock style dogs. Only downside is that the breeding isn't even expected until Feb. or March. Which means the dog will be a littel young for next hunting season. So don't invest in housing quail? Pigeons are the way to go? My wife was THRILLED when I suggested a pigeon coop! We had a bird in college, she hates birds!
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. ~George William Curtis

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:40 am

1. A good quality crate and a well built outdoor kennel run.

2. A good stiff checkcord, whistle, a couple bumpers, a dummy collar, and a starter pistol.

3. Then maybe a pigeon coop or johnny house, leather pinch collar, an e-collar, and a couple bird launchers.

That would be my priority list.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Crate, checkcord, patience. I would also suggest a training table and a good dematting tool such as a Mars Coat King.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.