Ithaca Model 51 20ga.

scout_on_38s

Ithaca Model 51 20ga.

Post by scout_on_38s » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:23 pm

Just bought one sight unseen from father inlaws buddy for $250. Supposedly less than half a box of shells through it. 28" full or modified barrel. It does have a vent rib. Father in law said he went and checked it out and no marks in the wood and perfect blueing. Going to pick it up this weekend. What can you guys tell me about this gun. I've read it was made to compete with the Remington 1100. Anybody have personal experience with this gun? Thanks- Charlie
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Ithaca Model 51 20ga.

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:18 pm

I've heard that they are hard to get parts for.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:12 am

Dad had a model 51 Featherweight 12 ga that was my favorite grouse gun. Only held three shells but was balanced nicely. My brother has it now. Did lose the bolt handle and I found parts for it when it did but he only hunts a couple times a year so never bothered. I imagine a 20 ga would be a nice auto. Might have to do something about the choke if it is Full but they can be opened.
Colin

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks guys. I'll get it tomorrow night when we get to the inlaws. I'm looking forward to shooting it. Might take it out Saturday morning and see if I can find some quail. Anybody else? --- Charlie
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP

airmedic1

Post by airmedic1 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:49 pm

I had a Model 51 12ga a long time ago. I saved my money and bought it in 1978 during pheasant season from a gun shop in Hasting Nebraska. It was, without a doubt, one of the most unreliable shotguns that I have ever owned. I had a Model 37 pump 20ga and thought the quality would be similiar. Boy was I mistaken. I had failure to feed the second round, failure to fire, failure to eject and once had it fire when it went to battery. I was only 19 at the time and if I remember correctly it cost me about $275 dolllars. I was heartbroken that it didn't function any better than it did. :cry: After it fired when the bolt slammed home (without my finger being anywhere close to the trigger) I quit using it. :x I did take it back but the guy that sold it to me told me there was nothing wrong with it. :evil: I kept it and it later was destroyed when our house burned.

I hope you have better luck with yours than I did with mine!
Of all the places I've been, this is one of them!

averyhunter

Post by averyhunter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:54 am

I have a model 51 I purchased in the 70's with zero problems however, I have heard they do not stand up to trap/skeet (I have used mine only for hunting). One part has been known to crack and I have seen a couple of testimonies that taking this part to a machine shop and having them make one solves the problem permanently. I think that with the new metals and machining techniques available today, these problems can be eliminated at the factory level. Ithica states that their current model 37 guns are far more reliable and the parts no longer have to be "adjusted" for each gun due to manufacturing variances and I think they could do the same for the model 51. I do not have the lighter "trap/skeet" version and perhaps the standard version is more robust leading to my success but............

The gun is simple in design and takes less than 10 minutes to dissemble, that being said, you will NEVER have a failure due to a dirty gun! I would dearly love to have them relaunch this product as I would be first in line for a 20 gauge. Not sure I would go for one now with parts getting harder and harder to find.