Question about hunting two young pups together!

Onk

Question about hunting two young pups together!

Post by Onk » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:02 am

Was wondering if there was any chance of my 11 month old Brit picking up any bad habits by hunting with a younger setter pup that is just starting in its training. My dog is doing so well thus far and I would love to hunt him with older well trained dogs to compare his level to theirs, but am worried about the younger 6 month old pup busting birds or flushing birds my dog is pointing. Is this a real worry or should I just expect my pup to keep on doing what he has been doing and not be influenced by mistakes of the younger dog? Thanks for your input!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Question about hunting two young pups together!

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:02 am

Onk wrote:...worried about the younger 6 month old pup busting birds or flushing birds my dog is pointing. Is this a real worry...
To me that is a real worry. Hunt them individually. You will get more progress out of that and it will be more enjoyable for YOU. You have probably 10+ years to hunt them together, these are some very impressionable times, take it slow and use it as teaching moments. Your 11 month old is really only a pup as well and that is a LOT of pressure for it to stand through when a dog rips a bird out from under it. It will only take 1-3x of that happening before you end up with 2 flushing dogs, then you are back to ground zero with them both. The Cons outweigh the Pros in my opinion.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:23 am

Don't hunt them together now...wait till dexter has his job down hard to do..but a younger dog that has no manners can quickly undo all that he has learned
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:54 am

It can make a younger dog less independent , as he relies on the older dog.
Even when I trained/bred beagles I never worked 2 pups together until they were older.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Onk

Post by Onk » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:11 am

Your answers are what I was kind of thinking.....I'll tell my friend we can take both but only hunt one at a time! Thanks
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"