Sasha's Blend

M1Tanker

Sasha's Blend

Post by M1Tanker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:20 am

I have a 10 yr old GSP that has been hunted hard all of those years and arthritis is starting to catch up with him. This hunting season, after discussing with my vet, I started him on a daily NSAID (Rimadyl) regimen with 1/2 morning, 1/2 evening.

He has no mobility issues but he is now groaning a bit when laying down and getting up during resting periods. In other words, when he is inactive, he is getting pretty stiff.

He has been on a "cocktail" supplement for 3 years (Hunt Dog Product) and that really doesn't seem to do the trick anymore.

I was thinking about going to a straight G/C (something like Osteo Bi-flex for humans and give 1/2 dose) along with the Rimadyl regimen, however, I have seen some folks post about Sasha's Blend and was wondering if they feel it actually does some good?

I'd like to try this before moving on to Adequan (shots) regimen, as that may be the next level of treatment.

Winchey

Re: Sasha's Blend

Post by Winchey » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:29 am

My girlfriend and her mom swear by the Sasha's blend. We have a dog that's put together all wrong that is on it, to be honest I don't see a difference. Have you looked at Metacam, it might be sold under a different name south of the border but It is a wonder drug imo.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:56 am

Never discussed Metacam with the vet but I will.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:00 am

Have you looked at Metacam, it might be sold under a different name south of the border but It is a wonder drug imo.
+1.

I will add....I have my vet write me a human script for meloxicam (generic). You can get it filled at Target, Walmart, etc under the $4 scripts provided your dog is big enough to take a partial human dose. It is far cheaper them Metacam.

And, if you decide to go the Adequan route, Smartpak Canine (online) has good prices.

Susie

Post by Susie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 am

Off the Rimadyl web site: https://www.rimadyl.com/pi.pdf

"DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION: Always provide Client Information Sheet with prescription. Carefully consider the potential benefits and risk of Rimadyl and other treatment options before deciding to use Rimadyl. Use the lowest effective dose for the shortest duration consistent with individual response."

Did your Vet give you the Client information sheet and are you aware of the side effects of Rimadyl? Liver, gastric issues and internal bleeding are just several of the side effects. Note- it says above "shortest duration". I'm surprised your vet is prescribing Rimadyl as a daily regimen.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:33 am

M1Tanker wrote:I have a 10 yr old GSP that has been hunted hard all of those years and arthritis is starting to catch up with him. This hunting season, after discussing with my vet, I started him on a daily NSAID (Rimadyl) regimen with 1/2 morning, 1/2 evening.

He has no mobility issues but he is now groaning a bit when laying down and getting up during resting periods. In other words, when he is inactive, he is getting pretty stiff.

He has been on a "cocktail" supplement for 3 years (Hunt Dog Product) and that really doesn't seem to do the trick anymore.

I was thinking about going to a straight G/C (something like Osteo Bi-flex for humans and give 1/2 dose) along with the Rimadyl regimen, however, I have seen some folks post about Sasha's Blend and was wondering if they feel it actually does some good?

I'd like to try this before moving on to Adequan (shots) regimen, as that may be the next level of treatment.
My vet recommends Sasha's Blend. She put her own dog on it and after 6 months did before and after x-rays of the joints. She found a significant improvement. It is expensive.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Susie wrote:Off the Rimadyl web site: https://www.rimadyl.com/pi.pdf

"DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION: Always provide Client Information Sheet with prescription. Carefully consider the potential benefits and risk of Rimadyl and other treatment options before deciding to use Rimadyl. Use the lowest effective dose for the shortest duration consistent with individual response."

Did your Vet give you the Client information sheet and are you aware of the side effects of Rimadyl? Liver, gastric issues and internal bleeding are just several of the side effects. Note- it says above "shortest duration". I'm surprised your vet is prescribing Rimadyl as a daily regimen.
That's mostly lawyer talk so they aren't responsible for a dog death. They got burned in the early years when there were a slew of deaths in one particular breed, I think it was Labs.

The key is to have regular blood panels run to monitor the vitals in case the drug was causing problems.

I have had other senior dogs on this regimen for 1/2 a year (training/hunting seasons) for 2 years before they passed away for reasons other than the Rimadyl.

VizslaGirl

Post by VizslaGirl » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:12 pm

The labeling on almost all NSAIDs will tell you that they should be used for short periods of time. I know literally hundreds of older dogs who are on a safe, daily dose of Rimadyl.

Metacam cannot be used in conjuction with Rimadyl.

There is controversy about whether glucosamine/chondroitin supplements really work...but it won't hurt! I have my 2 older Vizsla (8.5 & 10 years old) on a daily joint supplement. Fish oil is also thought to have anti-inflammatory properties - again, it won't hurt and is relatively cheap.

I have seen amazing results with Adequan. I know it is pricey, but it really does provide results. I will be starting it soon on my 10yr old.

Other pain management possibilities include Tramadol (narcotic, no inflammation control, but excellent pain relief and very few side effects. Cheap too.) and/or Gapapentin (considered to be more effective for neurologically-based pain, but has shown effective in physical pain as well).

Good luck, hope you find something that works for your pup.
CH Barben's Miss American Pie - "Mimi"
Barben's Chianti CD, RA, MH - "Cali "
Barben's Rob Roy SH - "Robby"
Barben's Summer Fling MH - "Summer"
Barben's Dizzy Miss Lizzy - "Lizzy"

BlueMoon Vizslas - http://www.bluemoonvizslas.com

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:50 pm

My dog was also on I think it was rock oil or some herbal supplement or something. I'll find out exactly what it was. The girlfriend handles all that stuff. I found it had a positive effect, but since the girlfriend handles that stuff the dog is on glucosamine (Sasha's blend) which as far as I can tell does nothing and not the herbal drops anymore.

Sharon are you saying that your vet is under the impression that the glucosamine is actually reversing the effects of arthritis?

EDIT... It was bach flower remedies.
Last edited by Winchey on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:42 pm

see if you can find some Steadfast. probably have to get it thru your vet. we have had ALOT of success with it on multiple dogs. many can stop taking nsaids after a few weeks of steadfast.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Never used Sarah's Blend BUT--- I highly recommend Animal Naturals K9 Joint Strong.

Best supplier & price is - - K9power.com

http://www.k9power.com/k9-joint-strong.html

edb

Post by edb » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:55 pm

I am a believer in gluc./chond. I have a 15 year old house dog that at 13 was unable to get up on the bed or up/down stairs. After 3-6 months of high levels he started running around like he did when he was 10. He can jump up on furniture again and navigates the stairs just fine. I would give couple thousand mg of each daily and see if it helps. Did with ours. Diamond senior naturals is high levels and Enhance has a new biscuit treat with 1000 mg/kg of both I just switched to those a couple weeks ago.
Last edited by edb on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:12 pm

M1Tanker wrote:Never discussed Metacam with the vet but I will.

Your vet is using the drug Rimadyl. It is an anti-infalmmatory drug just the same as Metacam.

Sasha's Blend is a joint repair supplement of glucosamine / chondroitin etc.. not a pain reliever.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:17 pm

Winchey wrote:My dog was also on I think it was rock oil or some herbal supplement or something. I'll find out exactly what it was. The girlfriend handles all that stuff. I found it had a positive effect, but since the girlfriend handles that stuff the dog is on glucosamine (Sasha's blend) which as far as I can tell does nothing and not the herbal drops anymore.

Sharon are you saying that your vet is under the impression that the glucosamine is actually reversing the effects of arthritis?

EDIT... It was bach flower remedies.
............................................................................................

No. I'm not sure enough to say anything. I just quoted what she said. Maybe she saw more Synovial Fluid or improved cartilage. I'll ask her to clarify the next time i see her.

"The unique all natural Sashas Blend™ formula possesses anti-inflammatory actives which reduces inflammation in a non invasive method with no side effects. It promotes the growth of healthy cartilage and conditions the joints by helping maintain the fluid (known as Synovial Fluid) that cushions joints. The Synovial fluid is important for healthy joint function as it provides lubrication to the joint, supplies nutrients to the cartilage, provides impact protection for the joint and removes waste from the cartilage. Sashas Blend™ also suppresses the production of Nitric Oxide which is a major chemical produced responsible for pain and the breakdown of a healthy joint. "

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:37 pm

Sharon wrote:
M1Tanker wrote:Never discussed Metacam with the vet but I will.

Your vet is using the drug Rimadyl. It is an anti-infalmmatory drug just the same as Metacam.

Sasha's Blend is a joint repair supplement of glucosamine / chondroitin etc.. not a pain reliever.
Correct...I am looking for something to assist in joint repair to see if it can help get him off the NSAID.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:41 pm

dog dr wrote:see if you can find some Steadfast. probably have to get it thru your vet. we have had ALOT of success with it on multiple dogs. many can stop taking nsaids after a few weeks of steadfast.
Is this what I am looking for?

http://shop.arenus.com/p-24-steadfast-c ... breed.aspx

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:44 pm

I ran across this as TSC today and although it is an equine product, it has a dosage for dogs:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/farnam-reg ... z--5031682

It looks like at the dog dose it would give the same amount as a triple strength OTC G/C/MSM for humans.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:25 pm

M1Tanker wrote:
dog dr wrote:see if you can find some Steadfast. probably have to get it thru your vet. we have had ALOT of success with it on multiple dogs. many can stop taking nsaids after a few weeks of steadfast.

I'd say that is what you are loking for. I'm going to look into it here in Canada.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:16 am

M1Tanker wrote:

Yes, thats it. If you give it a try please let me know what you think.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Will do.

Thank you.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:07 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:
Have you looked at Metacam, it might be sold under a different name south of the border but It is a wonder drug imo.
+1.

I will add....I have my vet write me a human script for meloxicam (generic). You can get it filled at Target, Walmart, etc under the $4 scripts provided your dog is big enough to take a partial human dose. It is far cheaper them Metacam.

And, if you decide to go the Adequan route, Smartpak Canine (online) has good prices.

+1...Been using this on dogs and myself and it works...Inexpensive too!!!
brenda

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:06 am

Follow-up from vet visit.

X-rays didn not indicate arthitis but more revealing was that his intestines were full of gas and he may possibly have developed some form of food allergy. So, the initial diagnosis is that the pressure in the intestines is causing the discomfort, as well as irritation in the stomach (possible ulcer).

2 weeks of prylosec and anti-boitic along with looking for a food that is kinder to a sensitive stomach. Right now, the initial switch is to Pro Plan sensitive stomach (salmon).

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:27 am

Interesting. Thanks for posting the diagnosis. I have one dog on Pro Plan Salmon who is prone to belly rashes. I believe it has made a difference. The only way to know exactly what allergens are the problem is to get a complete workup. I 'd have to the Guelph Veterinary College and it would be big $$$$$$$