Water Bottles?

Winchey

Water Bottles?

Post by Winchey » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 pm

What do you guys use for carrying water in the field (foot hunters)? I can't find much of anything, well a few things that were more then I am willing to fork out for friggin water bottles. I know some of the vests have holders but I am looking for something separate, don't want to wear a vest when out training and what not.

jcbuttry8

Re: Water Bottles?

Post by jcbuttry8 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:39 pm

I bought a squirting water bottle from GDS or LCS don't remember where. It has a holster that attaches to your belt. That is all I take for Kona. We use it for trial and hunting phez. She now knows how to drink from the squeeze bottle. Sure beats water bowls.

Joe

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Guess I'm a tightwad,I use the gatorade bottles that have a pop top thingamajiggee.I teach all my dogs to drink from the squirted stream.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:03 pm

I have a fold up water bowl that I carry around. When its time to drink I open up a bottle and pour it in. When she is done I dump the rest out and put back in my vest. Bowl is about 2 inches high and 4 inches square. Great for multiple dogs.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Wildweeds wrote:Guess I'm a tightwad,I use the gatorade bottles that have a pop top thingamajiggee.I teach all my dogs to drink from the squirted stream.
I went to the dollar store & bought the blank version of a gatoraide bottle. My reservoir bottles that I fill from are my old snapple gallon ice tea jugs. ( I guess I'm a tightwad also :D )
I had bought the camelback for my hunting vest but didn't like it that much. Max likes the squirt from the gatoraide bottle better. :D

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:44 pm

More wondering on something to carry the bottle then the bottle itself, like a belt or holder.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:01 pm

C'mon dude, get your boyscout/commercial fisherman/cowboy badge on, three wraps and a hooey or some kind of whiz bang knot around the neck of the bottle and a cheapie chinesee wanna be carabiner,clip it to a belt loop,,,,,,,,,,,who ain't got belt loops on their drawers ........... :lol:
Winchey wrote:More wondering on something to carry the bottle then the bottle itself, like a belt or holder.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:05 pm

I place it right in my vest pocket. That size bottle fits perfectly and no need to feel something else hanging off my belt loop. Here where we hunt I like to travel as light as possible. By keeping the gallon jugs at the truck refilling the smaller bottles are not an issue. Works well for us.

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:12 pm

I got a water bladder for back packs and put it in the bottom of my bird pocket on my back the line runs out to my side if I shoot birds I just clean the water bladder when I clean out the strap vest but most of the time I don't need to worry about cleaning it..

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:28 pm

Johng918 wrote:I got a water bladder for back packs and put it in the bottom of my bird pocket on my back the line runs out to my side if I shoot birds I just clean the water bladder when I clean out the strap vest but most of the time I don't need to worry about cleaning it..
My vest came with straps to hang the bladder pack and for me I didn't care for it. Reason:
1) extra weight to carry around the woods . couple birds & water bladder I felt like I was backpacking.
2)Of course to clean it out and have it dry so not to get bacteria growning in it.
3) If I were hunting out west I would probably use the bladder pack more often but here in the mountains we call home the 20 oz bottle in my vest pocket works best. The truck is never that far away to get a refill.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Seems we had this conversation here not too long ago...

I just buy a big water bottle from the convenience store, then get another one with the "sport" cap that closes like a liquid dish soap cap and just swap the caps. Or, you can use an old liquid dish soap bottle itself. Just gotta wash it out really well.

I carry it in my game vest. It doesn't weigh much more than a fat rooster, but unlike a fat rooster the water bottle gets lighter as the day goes on.

Either way it's cheap and you can get a new bottle for under two bucks, just save & re-use the cap.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:49 pm

I carry a couple of 20oz bottles in the game pouch of my vest. my dogs will all just drink from the bottle when I pour it.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Johng918 wrote:I got a water bladder for back packs and put it in the bottom of my bird pocket on my back the line runs out to my side if I shoot birds I just clean the water bladder when I clean out the strap vest but most of the time I don't need to worry about cleaning it..
+1

To clean the out side is simple... they make a cleaning kit for the inside also and a wafer type insert to dry them. Can carry a lot of water.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:47 pm

I bought a cheap bottle of gin one time, pint I thing it was and it was plastic. Fit perfectly into my back pocket. Best water hauler I've ever used. To give the dogs water in the field, I cup my hand and let the water run in just fast enough for the dogs to get a drink.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:51 am

For the last few years I have used a 2 quart canteen http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/n ... x?a=187243. This carries easily and the 2 quart capacity comes in real handy in September when its warm and natural occurring water may be scarce.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:35 am

I use a midget to carry water behind me and bring it forth when called. Works pretty well except on steep draws and thick cover, I'm thinking of springing for a tracking collar if the water carrier can't keep up.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:44 am

I use this. I cut the strap off and use the clip on a belt loop and on a ring on the saddle.

http://www.longridersgear.com/catalog/p ... cts_id=267

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:28 am

Winchey wrote:What do you guys use for carrying water in the field (foot hunters)? I can't find much of anything, well a few things that were more then I am willing to fork out for friggin water bottles. I know some of the vests have holders but I am looking for something separate, don't want to wear a vest when out training and what not.
My training sessions are not long enough to need water. If they are getting that hot or dry it is time to quit.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:57 am

My training sessions are not long enough to need water. If they are getting that hot or dry it is time to quit.

Ezzy[/quote]

Not talking about yard work, most of my training consists of hunting wild birds without a gun.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:52 am

I have a canvas "sleeve" with a caribeener clip. Clip it to belt or belt loop or saddle, etc. If you want to carry a 2-liter bottle, just get one of the field trial rigs that is designed to clip to the saddle.

The camelpack is the utlimate best, IMO.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:49 am

All I ever use is a 24 oz. used syrup bottle with a snap cap, toss it in a fanny pack with a first aid kit and refill back at the truck.
Tightwad and proud of it. Doing that at least 25 years.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.