Craziest thing you've seen in the field....

jimbo&rooster

Craziest thing you've seen in the field....

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:42 pm

So i was watching "Searching For Bigfoot" last night and slinging some BS with a few guys, Now im curious....

What is the craziest thing youve seen in the field?

Bigfoot? UFO? Elvis?

We all spend alot of time in remote places, I'm sure we have all seen somethings we can't explain....

What have ya got?

JIm

PS Im blaming this on sleep deprivation due to my daughter... :D :D
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

chuckanut

Re: Craziest thing you've seen in the field....

Post by chuckanut » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:11 pm

I was backpacking in Alaska a few years ago and woke up to the wind pushing in the side of my tent. I was half asleep and pushed against it with my arm and felt something solid pushing back. I woke up right away but didn't dare move. I could hear breathing/sniffing and I just laid there scared *^@#less until it finally went away. After a while I got up and peered outside the tent and there were grizzly tracks all around it. It's not unexplainable but definitely the craziest thing I've ever experienced. I didn't sleep a wink the next two days of the trip.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:26 pm

That is CRAZY!

Craziest thing happened to me was in the woods behind my house. This deer season I was snoozing in my stand about 1 hour before daylight and I hear what sounds like a big-cat yeowl from between me and a buddy about 400 yards away. We both heard it clear as day but never figured out what it was.

Then there was the morning when I heard the shuffle of feet and looked down to see a LARGE cow right under my tree stand.

I guess that are silly, not crazy.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:32 pm

Cool thread!! :D

Hunting elk years ago with a muzzleloader. I was stalking a small herd, and just got close enough for a shot at a fat cow in the back of the herd. As I was zeroing in for the shot, a bobcat came racing into the picture, and jumped on the cow's rump. Of course, the herd bolted along with my only shot opportunity for the trip.

I was talking to an older hunter later that trip and his comment was "that's a once." :lol:

Good memory but no elk stew that year. :?

rockyridge kennels

Post by rockyridge kennels » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Once I was swimming in a lake in Scotland and hitched a ride on the Loch Ness Monster....

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:41 pm

Sometimes, we run into people going noodling....

I had a woman who was living in her car at the lake tell me "they could get my dog 'cause he's wearing that thing." He had a Garmin on. I don't know if "they" were the rangers or aliens. She also told me there were "chips" in road kill.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:42 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

highntight

Post by highntight » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Chuckanut,
Whoa nellie. geez!!

About 10 years ago i was bird hunting with a buddy of mine one afternoon. About 1/2 way through the hunt we ran into a pot bellied pig out in the middle of nowhere. That dang thing followed us through about 2 long soybean fields before we finally lost him. He was a ways back, but he kept a comin'! I have no idea how that thing managed to survive out there.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:15 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:So i was watching "Searching For Bigfoot" last night and slinging some BS with a few guys, Now im curious....

What is the craziest thing youve seen in the field?

Bigfoot? UFO? Elvis?

We all spend alot of time in remote places, I'm sure we have all seen somethings we can't explain....

What have ya got?

JIm

PS Im blaming this on sleep deprivation due to my daughter... :D :D
a safe , broken into and too heavy to move , a way back in the bush
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Glassing az desert mulies and caught something bright white but couldn't tell until I pulled out the spotting shoe and focused on someone taking a deuce holding onto a rock.

In the field with dogs I saw a fat "trainer" run 20 feet, jump, tackle a pointer, and proceeded to choke it while he yelled at the top of his lungs. (guess the collar want on)

20mm casings on the top of mountains from fighters.. external wing tanks from F-4s also.

10r

Post by 10r » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:12 pm

Craziest thing I've seen was out waterfowl hunting years ago.. Was just before the end of shooting light and I saw a bright streak of light across the front of me and about 300 yards down the dyke a large blast of mud and debris went everywhere. Something hit the ground. Went over to the crater and it was about 3' x 3'. Couldn't get down to what it was as it had burrowed so deep but definately very cool to witness.

Last year my DD went on point then lunged in a thicket and just as I was about ready to get mad for her breaking point she chased a coyote out of it's hiding spot and ended up taking the tip of the tail off of the coyote with her teeth..

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:18 pm

I don't know that this counts as 'crazy', but on an April NAVHDA training night last spring we almost stepped on this little guy:

Sara
SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I
UWPCH CA GSJCH USUVCH Boogerman Loverboy Oskar CGC TDI

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:23 pm

rockyridge kennels wrote:Once I was swimming in a lake in Scotland and hitched a ride on the Loch Ness Monster....
Sure you weren't drinking scotch and thought you hitched a ride. :roll:
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Not being used to hunting in strip mine country, we wondered what the loud siren was coming from a distant hilltop. Then the dynamite went off, showering us with about ten thousand clods of dirt & rock. The dog's were not impressed with us.
In that same area the Air National Guard used to practice evasion & escape & dog fight maneuvers at treetop level with F14-F15s. So low you could see the pilots for an instant. Noisy but cool.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Hookadooka BirdDogs wrote:Not being used to hunting in strip mine country, we wondered what the loud siren was coming from a distant hilltop. Then the dynamite went off, showering us with about ten thousand clods of dirt & rock. The dog's were not impressed with us.
In that same area the Air National Guard used to practice evasion & escape & dog fight maneuvers at treetop level with F14-F15s. So low you could see the pilots for an instant. Noisy but cool.

Now that would be cool to see. I see them fly over head all the time but not that low. Had a apache helicopter fly over head about 10 ft above our heads once. That was fun.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Brittlver wrote:
Hookadooka BirdDogs wrote:Not being used to hunting in strip mine country, we wondered what the loud siren was coming from a distant hilltop. Then the dynamite went off, showering us with about ten thousand clods of dirt & rock. The dog's were not impressed with us.

Now that would be cool to see. I see them fly over head all the time but not that low. Had a apache helicopter fly over head about 10 ft above our heads once. That was fun.
Once we were javalina hunting in southern Az, sitting at the mouth of a canyon glassing a big hillside. We started hearing a motor and next thing we knew an Apache came out of the canyon very low and faced off on US - hovered there a couple seconds, then flew on. It was like they had us in their sites. Almost had to go for an underwear change after that. "bleep" glad those bad boys are on our side.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:17 pm

I think they do that to scare the living crap out of us.

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:52 pm

This is the story a friend of mine told me. He was hunting deer in NY this Fall during Muzzle Loader season. He was sitting on the ground with his back to a tree. A doe was approaching from his front. As he was raising his gun for a shot, his trigger finger arm was hit from behind in the bicep. This caused the gun to jurk up and also go off. The doe in front froze and two more bucks appeared standing in front of him. The bucks had come from behind him and hit his arm as they rushed to the doe. He sat there with three deer standing in front of him with an empty gun. The force of the blow to his arm also drove his thumb into the hammer of the mussel loader causing a gash on the thumb.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

tn red

Post by tn red » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:31 pm

A Wampus cat & chupacabra being stalked by bigfoot.This happened over around Rheatown just down the holler from Popcorn's still.Lots of strange stuff in them hills!!!!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:25 am

When I was a kid, went out pheas hunting with my Dad. We were walking up to a treeline had some ground cover along it, when a rosster pheas came out of the grass and charged at me. His head was down low wings out behind him crowing and running right at me. I asked my dad what should I do, he said walk at him see if he will flush so you can shoot him. He didnt flush but turned around andran back the way he came. Dogs just watched standing still. Dad was laffing his butt off.

Openingday for upland game in nebr about 15 years ago we were in a field walking to the road watching the dogs work. I saw out of the corner of my eye a buck deer runing flat out towards my cousin Tim, I yell Hey Tim look behind you, he turns and stepped out of the way just in time. That buck kept on running over the road and out of site. tim said I wonder what I did to piss him off. :)

Saw a tree just as the sun came up and litit up, was full of wild pheas roosters. Getting out of the vehicle Tim somehow got his thumb stuck in the door, locked too. Tim starts holloring birds start flushing. Guy had the keys was 50 yards out in the field. Sure was a lot of birds them days. Lot of land to hunt then too, not anymore in that county. Sure do miss those days.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:06 am

My buddy with his shotgun in one hand, and his "gun" in the other, urinating and shooting at the covey that got up close to us at the same time!!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:34 am

Set up a bunch of decoys on a small beaver pond with a stream entering at the head of it.....we were well hid in the under brush. Just above us at the head of the pond was a giant old cottonwood fallen over the stream, being about 6-7 ft off the water. Out of the woods appears a Mexican with a fishing rod. He proceeds to shimmy out on the fallen tree over the water and fish......at this point he is about 30 yards from us and is oblivious to us hiding or the decoys all over the beaver pond. We whisper back and forth chuckling under our breath about what happens if birds come in while he's there. Well just about that time he snags his hook below him on a submerged limb.....lays his fishing rod in the tree, climbs down and strips down naked and entered the water to unhook his line. We are by now doing everything we can to not roar laughing.....he is unhooking his line not 10 yards from our decoys and is still oblivious.

Well he gets his line free, climbs the bank and puts his underware on then (being warm early duck season) he shimmys back up the tree in only his drawers......just as he gets set in the tree 5 teal pitch thru the trees and into our spread and we (shooting in the opposite direction) lay into the small flock of teal, while our attention is on the ducks and the shots are ringing we hear a loud splash, he fell from his perch shocked by the shots and scrambles up the bank gets his clothes in his arms and takes off running thru the woods half naked.....we roared and roared with laughter trying not to pee ourselves....

How someone could be so oblivious to about 3 dozen decoys and 3 guys hiding in the weeds within 30 yards is beyond me.......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:51 pm

My cousin just got a new 870 20g and we decide to go jump shoot ducks the next morning. First place we get to we come over the top of the dam and he fires 1 shot, 2 ducks fall.

2 weeks ago, go out training and bring along 3 pigeons. I didn't have homers that will home this far yet (20 miles.) I grab 3 three young birds that have never left the loft. I use 1 as a kill bird the other 2 as fly aways. Next day one of the pigeons is sitting on top my loft.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:05 pm

I was charged by a sow hog one time while squirrel hunting. She came out of no where, grunting and snorting. I turned and ran toward a ditch, which was only about ten yards behind me. I jumped across it and she stopped at the edge. I 'bout peed my pants. She had a litter of pigs there in the timber.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:25 am

AzDoggin wrote:Once we were javalina hunting in southern Az, sitting at the mouth of a canyon glassing a big hillside. We started hearing a motor and next thing we knew an Apache came out of the canyon very low and faced off on US - hovered there a couple seconds, then flew on. It was like they had us in their sites. Almost had to go for an underwear change after that. "bleep" glad those bad boys are on our side.
FLIR target acquisition...you were a target of opportunity.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:57 am

This wasn't so much crazy as it was freaky. I was pheasant hunting and we had stopped in these thin woods that still had thick grass in it and after chatting for about a minute a turkey flushed about two feet to my left...sounded like an F15 taking off. Scared the crap out of me haha

This didn't happen in the field but on the river. I used to work as a fly fishing guide at a fly in lodge in Alaska. Middle of nowhere kinda place. Anyway, we were only about 90miles north of Anchorage, where there is a navy base (or airforce, I can't remember) and the fighter pilots would practice up by the lodge, but they were almost always way up in the sky. So one day, I'm on the river with some clients and out of no where this huge cargo plane flies directly over our heads, maybe 50 feet above the tree line. It was flying so low we couldn't hear it coming until it was right on top of us. Some of the clients were waiting for an explosion because they thought the plane must be crashing. It was really cool to see, but sure surprised me!

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:09 pm

Fishing in northern Canada on a nice spring evening and the quiet was broken by a mother and baby moose crossing the cove we were fishing in. Cool but man those things are HUGE!
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:10 pm

about 7 or 8 years ago i was bowhunting a stand on the edge of an old lane when a car came crashing down the old lane stopped not 25 yards from me and two teenagers began to show their affection for one another, i made some noise so they knew they werent alone and they put their clothes on and left. the funny part is im from a town of less than 1,000people so i definately knew who they were

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:24 pm

MO_GSP wrote:about 7 or 8 years ago i was bowhunting a stand on the edge of an old lane when a car came crashing down the old lane stopped not 25 yards from me and two teenagers began to show their affection for one another, i made some noise so they knew they werent alone and they put their clothes on and left. the funny part is im from a town of less than 1,000people so i definately knew who they were
Cousins....... Lol

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:42 pm

ultracarry wrote:
MO_GSP wrote:about 7 or 8 years ago i was bowhunting a stand on the edge of an old lane when a car came crashing down the old lane stopped not 25 yards from me and two teenagers began to show their affection for one another, i made some noise so they knew they werent alone and they put their clothes on and left. the funny part is im from a town of less than 1,000people so i definately knew who they were
Cousins....... Lol
lmao good guess but no

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:26 am

and two teenagers began to show their affection for one another
Many years ago I lived by benson park in Omaha, I was working the 3 to 11 shift got home about midnight. I would take the dog to the park and run him around the lake and do some water fetchs. I was sitting on the hill side petting him when a car came tearing into the parking lot right below me, 2 people got out and ran to the picnic tables shedding their cloths. They got to the table and went at it like cats. I tossed the fetch toy their way the dog went running there barked twice and returned with the toy. They didnt even notice so I went on my way. Never saw anyting like that before or since.

Later that fall a body was found in some scrub brush there, his head had popped off. I wondered all summer what that smell was. I moved after that to an acreage.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 am

This seems to be a shedding clothes off- thread so....

My husband and I were in a hotel.
There was a fire.
Most guests were able to get out through the kitchen.
When we got out to the parking lot , there was a couple going at it on the hood of a car. They didn't even notice us standing around. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:17 pm

Man this turned into an X -rated thread pretty fast. Starting to sound like it is the 60's/70's.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Starting to sound like it is the 60's/70's
Uh I really hate to admit this but my tale was in the 70s I am an old fogy now I suppose :)
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:19 pm

My brother was bass fishing a local lake, right beneath a cliff about 25 feet high. He heard dogs barking and chasing a rabbit, he thought. Next thing he sees is three deer jumping off the cliff flying directly over his bass boat. All three then swam to the other side of the lake and kept on running. Good thing he keeps an extra set of big boy undies in the tackle box just for those kinds of happenings.

Another time while fishing Santee Cooper in SC he tried to jump his boat over a partially submerged log. In doing so, he made an attached tree shake which, causing a cottonmouth to land in the boat with him. He proceeded to beat it to death with an oar. He was again glad for his stash in the tackle box. I don't fish with my little brother much.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:01 pm

A buddy of mine shot a squirrel and a blue jay through the neck with one .22 round. He was aiming for the squirrel and didn't see the bird behind it!

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:08 pm

I shot a ferret or something, not quiet sure what it was with my 30.06 at 100 yrds. Got over to it and their was nothing left except a large red spray pattern. Didnt think that would happen. Almost seemed as if it was a explosive round.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:31 pm

When my brother was 12 we were deer hunting on a farm in western PA. At first light, my brother pulled the gun up on a doe bedded down on a hillside under an oak tree. My brother fired, hitting the deer and it rolled down the hill got up and ran off. Going to the spot where the deer was to check for blood we found a dead cat.... still warm, with a round through its side and plenty of blood to track the deer. To this day we have no answer except that deer was snuggled up with that farm cat and my brother got them both.

-John

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:12 pm

This wasn't in the field but one night a buddy and I were frog gigging and when we were cleaning our frogs, we found a bat in one of the frogs. It was perfect and whole, so it had to have been freshly swallowed. When telling about this, some people thought we were pulling their leg. You wouldn't think a frog could catch, much less swallow a bat but we caught one that did.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:46 pm

Brittlver wrote:I shot a ferret or something, not quiet sure what it was with my 30.06 at 100 yrds. Got over to it and their was nothing left except a large red spray pattern. Didnt think that would happen. Almost seemed as if it was a explosive round.
You may have been using an old Army armor piercing round we used to use in our M1 Garand rifles. Now I'm dating myself.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Brittlver wrote:I shot a ferret or something, not quiet sure what it was with my 30.06 at 100 yrds. Got over to it and their was nothing left except a large red spray pattern. Didnt think that would happen. Almost seemed as if it was a explosive round.
:D Shoot an apple with your 30.06 sometime. Then try to find it.

Used to help my dad sight in his deer rifle on prairie dogs. Same thing - blood spray here, bit of fur there...

When I was 17 or 18, some buddies and I were duck hunting. I called in a flock, and they were right on top of us when we popped out of the blind. I yelled "don't cream them!" and shot at the lead drake. His head went flying off - not a pellet in the meat. Haven't been able to duplicate that in all these years since.

OUBobcat06

Post by OUBobcat06 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:56 pm

When I was about 14 I shot a groundhog with a 22 from about 100-150 yards away... I hadn't shot in forever and was actually surprised I hit it... When I went up to it, I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find any bullet hole... Finally I found a lump in the back of it's head under the skin - it was the round... After looking for at least another 15 minutes I still couldn't find a hole. Only thing I could determine is I hit him directly in the mouth or possibly even right in the nostril... I'm still not sure what exactly happened!

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:58 pm

My mother-in-law... :mrgreen:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:48 pm

Reading about the kids in a vehicle reminded me. I was driving the bus with a new load of guests to the fishing lodge when ahead on the road was parked the camp pickup with no one in it. As we approached closer one head popped up in the window, then another head appeared and the truck roared off with a spray of gravel behind it. 30 people on the bus peered out the window as we drove into camp and parked beside the red pickup. With 4 girls and 3 guys (one of which was driving the bus and another was very blonde rather than dark haired) working in camp and none of them obviously a couple, there was quite a bit of ribbing about who was "whom" for the week. (It was totally a surprise to me about whom was who when I saw the appearance in the pickup as well).

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:16 am

A few years a go, during bow deer hunting season, I saw one of my buddies attacked by a buck. As I hadn't come out of the woods, he came and looked for me because it was getting dark. While he was about 100 yards from my tree stand I saw a nice buck come in from the left of me..My buddy was coming from the right. As my buddy got closer to my tree stand I figured I get down and meet him and forget about the buck. As I was climbing down I heard my buddy screamed for help..I thought to myself, "what in the ***bleep** world is going on with this guy.." I turned around and saw him being attacked by a 6 point buck. He wrestled the buck until I got there and smacked it with my bow. It took us a few minutes (at the time appeared to be an hourt) fighting off this crazy buck...After several strikes with my bow, and my buddy hanging onto the buck's antler, the buck finally gave up and ran off. We laughed about it later and wondered why the buck attacked. A few weeks later, my buddy told me that he had dowsed himself with 3 bottles of doe estrus scent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:42 am

Tracking a deer someone else had shot. Was well past dark, and fog was starting to roll in. We tracked it to a large field, before losing the trail. We were in the field for a while, all of a sudden from a bush behind us we heard music play for a few seconds from a bush, right along side of the trail we walked in on. Never did find out what it was but considering the fog was pretty thick at this point in time it was rather eery.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:18 am

a safe , broken into
I worked for a company did support for bank type environments. I was called to one in another city 50 or so miles away, they had a break in over the 3 day weekend, kind of james bond stuff. Got into the next door building tore thru a wall then attacked the safe. They never did get it open, if they did they would have found that location was paper only no cash at all :) it was an empty safe.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:16 am

Birdman250 wrote:A few years a go, during bow deer hunting season, I saw one of my buddies attacked by a buck. As I hadn't come out of the woods, he came and looked for me because it was getting dark. While he was about 100 yards from my tree stand I saw a nice buck come in from the left of me..My buddy was coming from the right. As my buddy got closer to my tree stand I figured I get down and meet him and forget about the buck. As I was climbing down I heard my buddy screamed for help..I thought to myself, "what in the ***bleep** world is going on with this guy.." I turned around and saw him being attacked by a 6 point buck. He wrestled the buck until I got there and smacked it with my bow. It took us a few minutes (at the time appeared to be an hourt) fighting off this crazy buck...After several strikes with my bow, and my buddy hanging onto the buck's antler, the buck finally gave up and ran off. We laughed about it later and wondered why the buck attacked. A few weeks later, my buddy told me that he had dowsed himself with 3 bottles of doe estrus scent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMBO.... great way to start my day.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:00 pm

True story. Even made the newspaper.
A guy my father knew was crappie fishing on Lake Harris in Leesburg, FL. He landed one crappie, but before he could get it off the hook, he caught another crappie on a different rod. While he was trying to land the # 2 fish, a pelican spotted the flopping fish on the shore, swooped down and flew off with the crappie and the guy's fishing rod hanging about 6 feet from the pelicans mouth. A couple days later he got a phone call (he had his name & # scrawled into the reel) from a guy at a lake 15 miles away who had found his rod in his yard with the fish still attached. Truth is still stranger than fiction.

windswept

Post by windswept » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:15 pm

This happened about 15 years ago on the Minnesota River near Redwood Falls, MN. My son and I were fishing with my brother-in-law and my nephew. My son being a typical 6 year old got bored and layed his rod down on the bank and turned his attention to something else. Of course about that time he got a bite that took his pole and all right in the river. Several hours later my nephew was fishing and he started screaming that he thought he had caught my son's rod. With the current we thought that was impossible and after my bro-in-law chewed out my nephew for teasing my son like that he proceded to reel in his line with my son's pole and carp still attached.
Here's my son right after the big recovery.