Off Season Tips

nebraskabirdman

Off Season Tips

Post by nebraskabirdman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:37 am

I am new to this Gundog ownership thing and have only had my pup out a handfull of times in the field with little luck. My season here in Nerbaska is over Jan 31st and I was wondering what everybody recemended to keep my dog up and ready for next fall. I really don't have alot of access to live birds for training and limited knowledge on the subject. By the way, I hunt with a English Field Cocker (flusher). Thank ya'll :lol:
If you can read this, Thank a Teacher
If you can read this in English, Thank a Veteran
OIF Vet. U.S. Army
Combat Engineer

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Off Season Tips

Post by DonF » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:35 am

Everybody has access to pigeon's. Just take a bunch out where there's good cover, pull the flight feathers and put them down. Dpn't need to dizzy them or put them to sleep. Don't need traps either. Go back and turn your dog loose and let him find every one. After a couple times doing that, see if you can hide them from him. Woddk on obedience too. An out of control flushing dog is kinda worthless. You might consider posting some photo's of your dog too.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Keep runnin' your dog on wild birds after the season---I found alot of people that won't let you hunt on their land during season will let you run your dog on their land in the off season since you aren't shooting their birds :D Alot of them will let you run clear up to breeding season. Carry a camera since you aren't carrying a shotgun--you'll probably get a few good pictures. Another thing you could preserve hunt--that goes to the end of March(IF they don't run out of birds).

Benny

Post by Benny » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:49 am

+1 on pigeons,
It's my preference to steer clear of wild birds when not in season. The wide birth of the off season takes into account many things (i.e. reducing pressure on breeders, breeding takes place dependant on weather not on calendar, reducing pressure on brood, lets young feed and develop when coyotes and stray cats arent chasing them around, etc etc).

Also, the description of yourself makes you a great canidate for joining up with a club where I think you might enjoy working with like-minded folks and dogs. Pup, new to gundogg'n, and no access to live birds? A training club is perfect! That's what I did the first few off seasons and I met a bunch of new people, got great training for the pup, and had plenty of access to birds.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:06 am

Nebraska Birdman,
Welcome aboard and good luck. Thank you for your service. It's folks like you that allow us to enjoy our sport. Combat Engineers, first in, last out.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:45 pm

Rick Smith and Sharon Potter have a good piece in the current issue of The Pointing Dog Journal. They make several good points: check you dogs feet, toes,nails and pads. May want to take him by the vet just for a "post season" check-up. If your feeding him a good high quality, high protein and fat feed, don't change in the off season, just feed him less. Develop a regular excercise routine so he stays in shape (roading). Continue his yard work. I will usually take mine to a "preserve" about two times after the bird season. They usually operate through the end of March and is a great way to work with your dog and continue to bond with him. Because of snakes in the area that I usually hunt, I don't put my dogs on the ground in th Spring or Summer. I will send them to a trainer in Mo. who works them them will take them to North Dakota for about six weeks at the end of the Summer. They come back in shape and ready. If you don't want to go the trainer route, those preserves usually open Sept 1. May be a good place to start. Just some thoughts. Hope something there is helpful. Oh! Having his watch a couple of old movies on tv never hurts :)

nebraskabirdman

Post by nebraskabirdman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:26 pm

Hookadooka birddogs,

Thanks for your comments. Your right Combat Engineers lead the way!!!!! :D
OIF Vet. U.S. Army
Combat Engineer

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:19 pm

nebraskabirdman wrote:I am new to this Gundog ownership thing and have only had my pup out a handfull of times in the field with little luck. My season here in Nerbaska is over Jan 31st and I was wondering what everybody recemended to keep my dog up and ready for next fall. I really don't have alot of access to live birds for training and limited knowledge on the subject. By the way, I hunt with a English Field Cocker (flusher). Thank ya'll :lol:
Ok Nebbirdman
your earlier post you recieved some 36 reply's on what and how you should begin your EC pup.
man you got to go outside and take that pup for a run books videos and private instruction are are fine but you absolutely have go,drive run take a cab to some part of the the state you live in and get your pup's nose into the cover,weeds grass and and let that pup fine some birds. As you mentioned you are only 20 minutes from Grand Junction go see the Jim Devoll
he is the best spaniel man in your fair state. The onlyy the way you will increase your limited knowledge is time and tide.
Your time and money is the only way to help your pup be all it can be. Contact your breeder he has a ronsibility to see that you and his/her pup get off on the right foot..
Best of fortunes
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:08 am

bossman wrote:I will send them to a trainer in Mo. who works them them will take them to North Dakota for about six weeks at the end of the Summer. They come back in shape and ready. If you don't want to go the trainer route, those preserves usually open Sept 1. May be a good place to start. Just some thoughts. Hope something there is helpful. Oh! Having his watch a couple of old movies on tv never hurts :)
Jon Hann?

bossman

Post by bossman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:59 pm

bb560m....Correct. Jon Hann. Very satisfied with the work Jon has done with our dog's

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:55 pm

When the season ends, I start lining up Spaniel hunt test and trials. With the expensive gas I am looking at Northern Colorado in April, and the Kansas club also in April. Maybe the North Dakota hunt test late in the summer as a tune up for Fall. I love showing my dog off and the trials and hunt tests give me training goals. The trials and hunt test are a lot of fun, look up AKC trial and hunt test requirements. My Cocker, has been more fun to train than any dog I have owned. I know Jim Devoll and if you have access to him, there would be none better for you to get to know.
Where are you? I am in North Platte.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:36 am

bossman wrote:bb560m....Correct. Jon Hann. Very satisfied with the work Jon has done with our dog's
Our guy is going there soon as well, but not the summer program. Just the 3mo normal program.

bossman

Post by bossman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:38 pm

Well bbb560m, there is no little doubt in my mind that you will be completely satisfied. Jon not only knows how to train a dog, he seems to understand the psychology of dogs. Extremely honest imo. Good luck

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:51 pm

bossman wrote:Well bbb560m, there is no little doubt in my mind that you will be completely satisfied. Jon not only knows how to train a dog, he seems to understand the psychology of dogs. Extremely honest imo. Good luck
No doubt - we did a 4 day seminar. Trust him completely.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:03 pm

He's da bomb - as my nephew would say! Does a great job with any type of dog - even helped us out with our Chessie.

nebraskabirdman

Post by nebraskabirdman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:13 am

Master Hunter, I'm in Hastings. Thanks for all the good advice. I'm determined to habe the best dog that I can, come this fall. 8)
OIF Vet. U.S. Army
Combat Engineer

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:52 pm

I have always used just before and after the season to keep my dogs in good working order there is nothing better than wild birds. I just took my 6 month old pup out today to try and get him into some birds, i have been taking him out every week since i got him last month with no luck. Well boy did we find them today at first he did not know what to think of the rooster's as they busted cackling out of some thin cover around some cattails he would watch them and hop a few steps and then look at me like what the heck was that. By the end of the walk he was searching for them getting lower to the ground and pushing out a little further but they would not let him get close enough to really connect the dot's .late season pheasants probably are not the most cooperative bird for a pup but that is all i have for now .They would flush 40 or so yard's away from him and he would watch them but not chase and then he would start hunting the area faster, so i am fairly confident with a few more outings in this area he will have a good idea what we are doing out there.