Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

MN Bonasa

Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by MN Bonasa » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Thank goodness they finally got wolves delisted. I started a thread about the impact on wolves and gundogs this summer and now I am very happy to have the opportunity some day to actually hunt them. They would make a great trophy! Sounds like here in Minny we get to shoot up to 400 this fall but not sure if I should wait a year to see how things unfold and techniques that work the best. Trappers say that snaring would be the best way at getting one, that scares me a bit since my dog got caught in a snare this fall. Does anyone know if there are any wolf tracking dog breeds? Any way I sure am happy this finally got done!
On another note after I posted a thread on my dog being snared, there was an article in outddor news and a story that ran on CBS news about hunting dogs being killed on conibear 220 traps, found that to be interesting. Did I start something?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:53 pm

I'm sure any of the hounds or lurchers used to course coyotes could be trained on wolves. Some of the cur breeds might work also.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Find it a little hard to believe hunting wolvesw with a hound of any kind would be the way to go if I wanted to keep the dog. And I sure have no desire to walk 50 miles a day to hunt for anything.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Hence the term, "ride to the hounds."

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:37 pm

Wolves kill 30 to 50 dogs a year in Wi., mostly hounds. Don't think I'd be running them with hounds. They eat hounds for appetizers.

Don't think your going to kill a 100-150# wolf with a coursing dog either.

Image.

These three were killed in Idaho this year.

I'm going to try calling them in if I get the chance. Snaring and trapping are effective under the right conditions.
Last edited by gonehuntin' on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:37 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Hence the term, "ride to the hounds."
Hence...you have no idea of the country the wolf range in MN includes.
Dan

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Do wolves get that big or is that guy a midget? What did that monster weight as he appears to be awful fat besides simply giant. SCK

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Hence the term, "ride to the hounds."
Don't think that works in this part of the country. Probably getting a little ahead of our selves though since delisting doesn't mean a hunting season. Some of this takes a lot more time plus someone will have to prove a hunting season is necessary.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:01 pm

sckwest1 wrote:Do wolves get that big or is that guy a midget? What did that monster weight as he appears to be awful fat besides simply giant. SCK
I don't believe those photo's, looks enhanced to me. If not, they got 250lbs to 300lbs wolves.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:14 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Wolves kill 30 to 50 dogs a year in Wi., mostly hounds. Don't think I'd be running them with hounds. They eat hounds for appetizers.

I'm going to try calling them in if I get the chance. Snaring and trapping are effective under the right conditions.

Not to be argumentative, but these wolves were not killed in Idaho.... and several sites claim they are hoax pictures. The average Gray Wolf male weighs in at 75lbs. The biggest ever recorded shot was in Canada and it weighed in at 175. The farther north you go, the larger the animals. It is unlikely that the lower 48 will see wolves in the 100lb range. I've never seen those statistics on hounds killed by wolves, but I do know that if hounds are run in the spring near dens, they are really in a lot of danger. My pointer got caught in a leghold a few years past - no damage to her.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:27 pm

RoostersMom wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:Wolves kill 30 to 50 dogs a year in Wi., mostly hounds. Don't think I'd be running them with hounds. They eat hounds for appetizers.

Not to be argumentative, but these wolves were not killed in Idaho.... and several sites claim they are hoax pictures. The average Gray Wolf male weighs in at 75lbs. The biggest ever recorded shot was in Canada and it weighed in at 175. The farther north you go, the larger the animals. It is unlikely that the lower 48 will see wolves in the 100lb range. I've never seen those statistics on hounds killed by wolves, but I do know that if hounds are run in the spring near dens, they are really in a lot of danger. My pointer got caught in a leghold a few years past - no damage to her.
A whole lot closer to the actual facts that I have heard and witnessed as far as size is concerned. I haven't heard any official numbers as far as number of dogs killed but it wouldn't surprise me if it was 30 to 50. That isn't a real high number for the large area that the wolves are covering. I would believe that a lot quicker than I would some of the coyote numbers I hear.

Ezzy

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:52 pm

RoostersMom wrote:

One of the illegally killed males wolves in Yellowstone weighed 150lbs, after he was located by his radio collar and weighed dead. The photos posted above do look to be enhanced BUT wolves in the reintroduction areas can be very BIG.

This info is a little dated but is from
Information about the Yellowstone Wolves from Interagency Wolf Conference
"The average weight for Yellowstone adult wolves is heavy -- 113 pounds. Pups captured during winter averaged 85 pounds for females and 95 for males."

This is from 2010
http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2010/02/ ... daho-hunt/
"Earlier I reported data from the Fish and Game Comission meeting a couple weeks ago with the largest Idaho wolf at 109 pounds. One in extreme Northern Idaho was 130 pounds. The Spokesman Review has a new article on this."

Here is a link talking about the photo hoax of the pictures above.
http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005139271

I'd say its common for wolves in the lower 48 to be in the "100 lbs range".

No one wanting to keep a dog alive is going to course or track wolves with hounds.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Can we just get it out of the way and lock this one?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:21 pm

cmc274 wrote:Can we just get it out of the way and lock this one?
What fun would that be? :lol:

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:24 pm

It is interesting that this topic came up today. I was at a friends house earlier this morning and this exact topic came up and I can tell you that if they don't outlaw hunting wolves with dogs it will be done in the near future. There are many people that run coyotes with their hounds and wolves would just be the next level. The country out West differs from the Great Lakes so horses would be in order.
Last edited by cjuve on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:25 pm

cjuve wrote:It is interesting that this topic came up today. I was at a friends house earlier this morning and this exact topic came up and I can tell you that if they don't outlaw hunting wolves with dogs it will be done in the near future. There are many people that run coyotes with their hounds and wolves would just be the next level.
I know people who hunt bobcats with hounds but don't think they have moved up to lions or tigers yet.

Ezzy

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:28 pm

cjuve wrote:It is interesting that this topic came up today. I was at a friends house earlier this morning and this exact topic came up and I can tell you that if they don't outlaw hunting wolves with dogs it will be done in the near future. There are many people that run coyotes with their hounds and wolves would just be the next level. The country out West differs from the Great Lakes so horses would be in order.
The only experience I have with coyote hunting with dogs is running them with stags... They better turn loose the entire kennel if they want to take a wolf with stags. And they better hope it's alone... :lol:

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:29 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
cjuve wrote:It is interesting that this topic came up today. I was at a friends house earlier this morning and this exact topic came up and I can tell you that if they don't outlaw hunting wolves with dogs it will be done in the near future. There are many people that run coyotes with their hounds and wolves would just be the next level.
I know people who hunt bobcats with hounds but don't think they have moved up to lions or tigers yet.

Ezzy

Ezzy,
I don't care who you know we hunt lions every day out West and if you think that 180 lb mtn lion is any different than a wolf you obviously have never seen any in person. The only thing that makes wolves more dangerous is the fact that they hunt in packs. Stick to what you know

goldenpatch29

Post by goldenpatch29 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:32 pm

I would think if you sent some hounds in to hunt a PACK of wolfs, you wouldnt get anything accomplished except giving the wolfs a nice meal....thats just my opinion!
Thats just like a pack of coyotes around here would do the same thing, But I guess that you could single out juvenile males that are on their own or females that have been run off from the pack.
Last edited by goldenpatch29 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:33 pm

ACooper wrote:
cjuve wrote:It is interesting that this topic came up today. I was at a friends house earlier this morning and this exact topic came up and I can tell you that if they don't outlaw hunting wolves with dogs it will be done in the near future. There are many people that run coyotes with their hounds and wolves would just be the next level. The country out West differs from the Great Lakes so horses would be in order.
The only experience I have with coyote hunting with dogs is running them with stags... They better turn loose the entire kennel if they want to take a wolf with stags. And they better hope it's alone... :lol:
Coyotes do not stand a chance when you are hunting a 25 hound pack.

I think to be successful hunting wolves with hounds you would need to be able to single them out.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:36 pm

I believe there is still Federal protection against running dogs on wolves, regardless of their state listing.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:41 pm

cjuve wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy

Ezzy,
I don't care who you know we hunt lions every day out West and if you think that 180 lb mtn lion is any different than a wolf you obviously have never seen any in person. The only thing that makes wolves more dangerous is the fact that they hunt in packs. Stick to what you know
Your out west lion is the same cougar we have around here occasionally. I am talking lions, you know they weight about 3 or 400 pounds, The males have big manes and the females travel in prides. And the tigers have stripes and are bigger yet. Surprised you I bet that I know this much about lions and tigers and even the smaller cougars. But then you didn't know I used to live out west since you never thought to ask before you posted.

What do you think about elephants and hippos out west? We never hunt them with hounds around here either. :lol: :lol:

Ezzy

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:53 pm

Ezzy,
A coyote is to a wolf as a bobcat is to a .........
a. Lion
b. tiger
c. cougar
d. jack rabbit

Let me guess....... I don't think your comparison is all that correct

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:45 pm

why would you want to kill a wolf? i love hunting but i have way to much respect to kill one. plus IMO hunting not to eat is a waste of an animals life but thats just what i think.
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Hunting wolves with hounds has been done world wide.Custer wrote about hunting wolves in the black hills so did Teddy Roosevelt why could'nt it be done now days?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:15 pm

tn red wrote:Hunting wolves with hounds has been done world wide.Custer wrote about hunting wolves in the black hills so did Teddy Roosevelt why could'nt it be done now days?
I wish they'd allow deer coursing here. I know some states do. It's simply a legality issue. Plenty of dogs capable of the taxk out there.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 pm

Here's a money making idea for you guys that like to guide hunters during the fall. Go out and get a few of the Irish Wolfhounds to track down old mr. timberwolf. That could be intertaining... Imagine the kind of fee you could charge for that hunt!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:17 am

Here's a couple more for all to debate. To the best of my knowledge, none of these pictures have been enhanced.

When I was living in British Columbia, a guy pulled up next to me with one in his Toyota. The head was against the rear window, the feet out past the tailgate.

I have no reason to believe any of these photos are enhanced. Remember, these wolves were introduced from Canada to our eco system. The wolves being killed in the West, are not the same wolves in Wi. or Mn.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:19 am

For those of you that don't follow it, here is the reason that Mn. and Wi. hunters are up in arms over the wolf. If you doubt these numbers, go the the state DNR website and type in wolf depredation.

Mn. has a populaton of 2500-3000 wolves. They had 139 head of livestock and 23 dogs killed there last year. Mn. euthanized 192 wolves.

Wi. has about 800 wolves. We had 72 head of livestock killed and 24 dogs. We euthanize 6-10 wolves per year. Of the dogs killed, 6-8 were domestic, the others hounds..

Mn. depredation on livestock has increased 31% in the last five years.

The biggest bone of contention is that it is illegal for a hunter to defend his dog against a wolf attack unless he is on HIS OWN LAND. Otherwise, the wolf can't be hurt. All most hunters ask for is the right to defend his dog against a wolf.

In Jackson County in Wi. a pack attacked a hunters Shorthair, then followed the guy back to his truck, keeping him in the truck. That pack was entirely eliminated as a threat to human safety.

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:05 am

Cajun Casey wrote:I'm sure any of the hounds or lurchers used to course coyotes could be trained on wolves. Some of the cur breeds might work also.
I have heard of hunting hogs with pits that have kevalar vests and around there neck. Might be able to do the same with a wolf.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:26 am

MN_GROUSE_GUY wrote:Here's a money making idea for you guys that like to guide hunters during the fall. Go out and get a few of the Irish Wolfhounds to track down old mr. timberwolf. That could be intertaining... Imagine the kind of fee you could charge for that hunt!
I was wondering if anyone would come up with that. I have only seen tw3o of them in my life. A guy down at Grants Pass ownes them. You cannot appreciate them untill you've seem one alive! They were orgionally bred to hunt wolves with. Very gentle dogs but if your dog makes a threat toward it's master, your dog will die.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 am

A_LOTA_NOTA wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:I'm sure any of the hounds or lurchers used to course coyotes could be trained on wolves. Some of the cur breeds might work also.
I have heard of hunting hogs with pits that have kevalar vests and around there neck. Might be able to do the same with a wolf.
Hogdogging is a whole 'nother scene. First, hogs don't attack a dog in the same manner as does another canine and the cut collars and vests used on bay and ketch dogs wouldn't protect the head and rear where a wolf would aim. Also, the type of dogs used, other than strike dogs, likely would not have the endurance to run another canid. Hot nosed hounds, curs, and some of the German breeds are the typical strike dogs. Pits and, more usually, American bulldogs, are ketch dogs, although most jobs can and are done with a variety of pure and mixed breeds. I know of one shorthair that suddenly decided his calling in life was as a bay dog during a quail hunt a couple of weeks ago. :(

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 am

llewellinsetter wrote:why would you want to kill a wolf? i love hunting but i have way to much respect to kill one. plus IMO hunting not to eat is a waste of an animals life but thats just what i think.
Out west I believe they should all be hunted from helicopter and eliminated. The wolves they introduced are not native and do not belong in the Eco system. The deer and elk numbers all have taken a hit where wolves have been introduced and its not because the wolves simply need to eat. They are extreme predators and a lot of times they will make multiple kills and eat only certain parts of the animals.

Now if a human kills a elk and doesn't take all of the meat you will be fined and loose all hinting rights for that state and another 30+ (depending location).

Kalifornia is eliminating all of the deer and elk on Santa Rosa island because they are not native. Do the same with wolves.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 am

llewellinsetter wrote:why would you want to kill a wolf? i love hunting but i have way to much respect to kill one. plus IMO hunting not to eat is a waste of an animals life but thats just what i think
Hunting isn't always about killing, at least not for me. I do not hunt just for the sake of killing, I feel if you are a true hunter its more about the experience the addrenaline the fun and just being outdoors or if you are really poor and you need it for food. I never thought the day would come that an every day hunter would have a chance at the apex predator in our woods. However I also believe that these wolves will us look like a bunch of rookies as we try to actually hunt them. I'm pretty sure they are not the dumbest animal to walk the forest! I look forward to the evolution of the hunt, the tactics the will be derived, the new experts that will come out on the subject, reading articles on hunting them. No, you are not going to eat it of course not, that doesn't mean you can't hunt / trap it. Sportsman who will hunt wolves in our state will hunt them for just what they are. A TROPHY! Unless you a rancher then you will just shoot them cuz you can. I highly doubt our DNR will let you hunt them with dogs of any kind.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:20 am

MN_GROUSE_GUY wrote:
llewellinsetter wrote:why would you want to kill a wolf? i love hunting but i have way to much respect to kill one. plus IMO hunting not to eat is a waste of an animals life but thats just what i think
Hunting isn't always about killing, at least not for me. I do not hunt just for the sake of killing, I feel if you are a true hunter its more about the experience the addrenaline the fun and just being outdoors or if you are really poor and you need it for food. I never thought the day would come that an every day hunter would have a chance at the apex predator in our woods. However I also believe that these wolves will us look like a bunch of rookies as we try to actually hunt them. I'm pretty sure they are not the dumbest animal to walk the forest! I look forward to the evolution of the hunt, the tactics the will be derived, the new experts that will come out on the subject, reading articles on hunting them. No, you are not going to eat it of course not, that doesn't mean you can't hunt / trap it. Sportsman who will hunt wolves in our state will hunt them for just what they are. A TROPHY! Unless you a rancher then you will just shoot them cuz you can. I highly doubt our DNR will let you hunt them with dogs of any kind.

Man would be the apex predator in the woods.

If hunting wolves is legal then not much else matters.
Same as late season grouse hunting in the Appalachians.
Folks will do what they legally can do and justify the decision accordingly.
Ethics or morality in the particulars of any decision falling quickly to that justification.

For myself, I think along with llewsetter for the most part.
However, were I to be a rancher or a bear dog trainer or someone wishing to capitalize monetarily on a new hunting trend then, maybe, I would think differently.
Perhaps even if I wanted a dead wolf stuffed and standing in my den to illustrate some personal triumph over a villian.
But I doubt it....as wolves look too much like dogs to me and the fear for most of us, even those hunting the U.P. such as I, who has seen wolves and tracks of wolves, simply does not rise to the level of Kill....simply because we can.

Wolves cause problems in today's world which has grown beyond them in many, many ways...no doubt of it and our bird dogs can suffer, at a minimum.
Just wish that I did not see so many hunters licking their chops to kill.....much as they would say with the wolves they hate.
Especially the hunters whose interactions with wolves occurs, by and large, on a message board.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:40 am

We ran them race dogs on yotes, Italian greyhounds. 12 of them run yote to ground then the kill dog was let loose. Used to hang 20 or 30 yotes on the dog box and move on. Pits can be used if you get the long legged runners not the little squat fighters everyone associates with the breed. Used to be a guy name of Grady Cummings sold some fine hunting pits years ago but them days are over that breed is washed out. Irish Wolfhounds will take on a wolf and can kill it for sure. Mastiffs would be another I would set on a wolf. Look at the dogs in some of the other countries, they are used for wolfs, some have spiked collars they earn from the actual killing of a wolf. Wolfs are not knew, folks been killing them for centuries using dogs and other methods.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Todd

Post by Todd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:38 pm

Little food for thought...
How many of us hunt for subsistence? would be way cheaper and easier to raise and eat chickens than train a dog to hunt wild birds. Another thing that chaps my hind end is when we start to place more significance on one animal over another. They should all be treated humanely not caused to suffer for example. What is the difference between a coyote and a wolf when it comes to intrinsic value? However I don't see coyote hunting generate this much emotion. Is a baby seal more valuable than a mature one? We tend to sympathize with things that are cute or remind us of ourselves or our pets. They are all gods creatures and should be treated appropriately. I know there are many out there with issues with the whole man having dominion over the animals thing and that is fine. But this warped sense of morality makes no sense to me. If it's legal go for it just make sure you share some pics. I seriously doubt this post was financially motivated let's just take a step back and think about it without letting emotion take over.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:40 pm

You guys that think you can run down Mn. wolves with coursing dogs, must not have ever been to N. Mn. where the wolf are. There is NO open country, it is all dense forest. I believe it would be impossible for a coursing dog to SEE and run down a wolf in N. Mn.

sdpowskier

Post by sdpowskier » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:13 pm

This is how they do it in Mongolia. Go this in an email a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re644qgn ... re=related

Some ranchers took this wolf in eastern MT this year because it was killing livestock, they also happened to get a coyote the same day. The wolf weighed in around the 100lbs mark according to the email. (this is the first time i posted a picture, hope it comes through)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:21 pm

markj wrote:
We ran them race dogs on yotes, Italian greyhounds. 12 of them run yote to ground then the kill dog was let loose. Used to hang 20 or 30 yotes on the dog box and move on. Pits can be used if you get the long legged runners not the little squat fighters everyone associates with the breed. Used to be a guy name of Grady Cummings sold some fine hunting pits years ago but them days are over that breed is washed out. Irish Wolfhounds will take on a wolf and can kill it for sure. Mastiffs would be another I would set on a wolf. Look at the dogs in some of the other countries, they are used for wolfs, some have spiked collars they earn from the actual killing of a wolf. Wolfs are not knew, folks been killing them for centuries using dogs and other methods.
Mark, Italian Greyhounds stand about 10 inches tall and weigh 10 pounds or less. Legs are smaller than your fingers.

Ezzy

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:36 pm

I didnt mean to step on anyones toes with my comment. And i am a person that thinks there is nothing wrong with hunting them i just would not take part. i hunt everything we have in MI other than wolves, Im NOT judging anyone for what they hunt i just wanted to throw my 2cents in.
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:18 pm

How the heck do we find balance & what is it? I can tell you years ago there were farmers with flocks of sheep across N MN. Due to losses to wolves, all three of my great uncles got out of the sheep business. The Feds got involved but were never able to sufficiently neutralize the threat to the local farmers once the wolf populations rebounded. There are no sheep farmers that I know of in the northern half of the State anymore. Maybe someday we'll re-introduce sheep farming to N. MN .. a novel idea. :evil:

Now it's mountain lions on the rebound in areas they haven't been seen for decades. i know a fella that almost lost his horse to a cougar attack in N. MN last summer & this DNR report comes from 30 miles away: http://www.cougarnet.org/DNRconfirmsnearBemidji-09.htm

I beieve the harvest quota is up to 70 mountain lions for the season in the Black Hills this year, up from 55 last year and that will still leave a very healthy pop. of lions in the area.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:32 pm

BigShooter wrote:How the heck do we find balance & what is it? I can tell you years ago there were farmers with flocks of sheep across N MN. Due to losses to wolves, all three of my great uncles got out of the sheep business. The Feds got involved but were never able to sufficiently neutralize the threat to the local farmers once the wolf populations rebounded. There are no sheep farmers that I know of in the northern half of the State anymore. Maybe someday we'll re-introduce sheep farming to N. MN .. a novel idea. :evil:

Now it's mountain lions on the rebound in areas they haven't been seen for decades. i know a fella that almost lost his horse to a cougar attack in N. MN last summer & this DNR report comes from 30 miles away: http://www.cougarnet.org/DNRconfirmsnearBemidji-09.htm

I beieve the harvest quota is up to 70 mountain lions for the season in the Black Hills this year, up from 55 last year and that will still leave a very healthy pop. of lions in the area.
Last year, they captured a young female mountain lion that had climbed a tree in someone's yard in a residential area marginal to undeveloped land here. DNA placed her as originating in North Dakota.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:46 pm

Mark, Italian Greyhounds stand about 10 inches tall and weigh 10 pounds or less. Legs are smaller than your fingers.
The Greyhound is a breed of sighthound that has been primarily bred for coursing game and racing, and the breed has also recently seen a resurgence in its popularity as a pedigree show dog and family pet. It is a gentle and intelligent breed. A combination of long, powerful legs, deep chest, flexible spine, and slim build allows it to reach average race speeds in excess of 18 metres per second (59 feet per second) or 63 kilometres per hour (39 mph).[1][2][3]. At maximum acceleration, a greyhound reaches a full speed of 70 kilometres per hour (43 mph) within 30 metres or six strides from the boxes, traveling at almost 20 metres per second for the first 250 metres of a race. The only other animal that can accelerate faster over a short distance is a cheetah that can reach speeds of 109 kilometres per hour (68 mph) over 3-4 strides from a standing start.[4]

It is what we use here, race dogs that are culled from the track.

AppearanceMales are usually 71 to 76 centimetres (28 to 30 in) tall at the withers and weigh around 27 to 40 kilograms (60 to 88 lb). Females tend to be smaller with shoulder heights ranging from 68 to 71 centimetres (27 to 28 in) and weights from less than 27 to 34 kilograms (60 to 75 lb). Greyhounds have very short hair, which is easy to maintain. There are approximately thirty recognized color forms, of which variations of white, brindle, fawn, black, red and blue (gray) can appear uniquely or in combination.[5]

[edit] Anatomy
Illustration of the greyhound skeletonThe key to the speed of a Greyhound can be found in its light but muscular build, largest heart, and highest percentage of fast-twitch muscle of any breed,[6][7] the double suspension gallop and the extreme flexibility of the spine. "Double suspension rotary gallop" describes the fastest running gait of the Greyhound in which all four feet are free from the ground in two phases, contracted and extended, during each full stride.[8]

We have a dog track here with greyhound kennels very close to me, come on by and I will show you what I mean.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:27 pm

I am very familiar with Greyhounds as I think most people are. My post was concerning yours saying you used Italian Greyhounds which are small enough to be classed as a toy breed. And there is also the medium sized WHIPPET which is even faster on the short courses. All are very mild mannered gentle dogs that hunt by sight and not smell.

Ezzy

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:55 pm

you used Italian Greyhounds
Yes we did, there are several sizes dude...... Not the toy stuff, they never set foot on a track.......or did you miss that?

Why is everyone so dead set on being MR. right all the time here?
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:08 pm

markj wrote:
Yes we did, there are several sizes dude...... Not the toy stuff, they never set foot on a track.......or did you miss that?

I think its just a little confusion, when you called your dogs Italian greyhounds many people automatically think of the akc version Image

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:31 pm

Ahhhh how cute! I want one :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:57 pm

markj wrote:

Mark, don't get all upset when I was just trying to straighten out a quote.

The Italian Greyhound is the smallest[2] of the sighthounds, typically weighing about 8 to 18 lb (3.6 to 8.2 kg) and standing about 13 to 15 inches (33 to 38 cm) tall at the withers.[3] Though they are in the "toy" group based on their weight, they are larger than other dogs in the category due to their slender bodies, so owners must be careful when sizing clothing or accommodations.

The Italian Greyhound's chest is deep, with a tucked up abdomen, long slender legs and a long neck that tapers down to a small head. The face is long and pointed, like a full sized greyhound. Overall, they look like "miniature" Greyhounds, though many Italian Greyhound owners dispute the use of the term "miniature Greyhound", in reference to the breed itself. By definition of the American Kennel Club[4] - they are true genetic greyhounds, with a bloodline extending back over 2000 years. Their current small stature is a function of selective breeding. Their gait is distinctive and should be high stepping and free, rather like that of a horse. They are able to run at top speed with a double suspension gallop,[5] and can achieve a top speed of up to 25 miles per hour (40 km/h).
The regular Greyhound we raise and race are not Italian, that is all I tried to clarify for anyone reading this topic.
The breed's origin is romantically reputed to be connected to Ancient Egypt, where depictions of smooth-coated sighthound types have been found which are typical of saluki (Persian greyhound) or sloughi (tombs at Beni Hassan c. 2000 BC). However, analyses of DNA reported in 2004 suggest that the Greyhound is not closely related to these breeds, but is a close relative to herding dogs.[40][41] Historical literature on the first sighthound in Europe (Arrian), the vertragus, the probable antecedent of the Greyhound, suggests that the origin is with the ancient Celts from Eastern Europe or Eurasia. All modern, pure-bred pedigree Greyhounds are derived from the Greyhound stock recorded and registered, firstly in the private 18th century, then public 19th century studbooks, which ultimately were registered with coursing, racing, and kennel club authorities of the United Kingdom.

Historically, these sighthounds were used primarily for hunting in the open where their keen eyesight is valuable. It is believed that they (or at least similarly named dogs) were introduced to the area now known as the United Kingdom in the 5th and 6th century BC from Celtic mainland Europe although the Picts and other hunter gatherer tribes of the northern area now known as Scotland were believed to have had large hounds similar to that of the deerhound before the 6th century BC.
Ezzy

POk3s

Post by POk3s » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:12 pm

Am i the only person here from a state that had the CANADIAN grey wolf introduction (not reintroduction). This issue has been tossed around so many times on all of the other forums I'm on I thought surely someone would bring that point up.
RoostersMom wrote: Not to be argumentative, but these wolves were not killed in Idaho.... and several sites claim they are hoax pictures. The average Gray Wolf male weighs in at 75lbs. The biggest ever recorded shot was in Canada and it weighed in at 175. The farther north you go, the larger the animals. It is unlikely that the lower 48 will see wolves in the 100lb range. I've never seen those statistics on hounds killed by wolves, but I do know that if hounds are run in the spring near dens, they are really in a lot of danger. My pointer got caught in a leghold a few years past - no damage to her.
Which means that this ^^^^ is most certainly false. I've seen coyotes weigh in at 55 lbs (in a coyote derby) and an "average wolf" is still much bigger then that. Somebody at least mentioned that the wolves that were introduced to Yellowstone WEREN'T the smaller timberwolves of minnesota and wisconsin but the CANADIAN grey wolf from "up north" where they are indeed growing over 150 lbs.

I say if there's a way they can be hunted with hounds then I'm all for it, but like everyone else I just don't know how well it would work. I've heard of far too many stories with guys out trying to tree mtn lions only for the barks of their hounds to simply stop. Before the guys can get to their dogs they're torn apart.

You hunt them to protect the deer and elk herds. I know of a hunt where a guy finally got to hunt then in his home state in Montana. He planned on eating one because of the ethics he had but said after he had one down he couldn't imagine eating one. Smelled just about as bad as a cow that was long dead.

If I had more money I'd be in Idaho hunting them right now. They're definitely not as easy to hunt as everybody thought as there's still many areas without their quotas filled here out west. A lot of guys have fallen in love with chasing them as it's a whole different challenge.