I just got my first real gun dog..... now what?

wills1235

I just got my first real gun dog..... now what?

Post by wills1235 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:31 am

I just moved to Eastern Washington. I've made a good friend and we hunt over his German Wirehairs. I've been searching for a GSP and my fiancee reserved me a puppy for my birthday. I haven't trained a dog in 10 years. I really want to do right by my first GSP (my dream dog) and have many, many great hunts, as well as a great companion. What do I do next. I have 12 acres and plenty of pheasant wings in the freezer.
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

APATZ_GSP

Re: I just got my first real gun dog..... now what?

Post by APATZ_GSP » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:54 am

Not the most knowing on here but i got a pup to and alot will tell you to let it be a pup and invest in huntsmith dvd puppy 1 and 2 and or the perfect start/ perfect finish dvd's by perfection kennels. and welcome to the forum
Allen
GSP-Ammo

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:54 am

Read several different training books and watch a couple of videos.

Then pick an approach that makes sense to you and that you feel comfortable with, make a plan and go out and do it.

I would pretty much toss those pheasant wings. Dogs are supposed to hunt for birds...not bird parts.

If you want to do something constructive between now and then, set up a pigeon coop and get some homers going. Pigeons are quite possibly the best training bird you can have for a youngster. For a puppy, only an ample supply of wild birds is better, IMO.

RayG

redman25

Post by redman25 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:53 am

What they said. Especially what Ray said about the pigeons. I waited to find birds and now it's a constant struggle. Click on the puppy mistakes link on the opening page of this site......lot's of good info there.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:54 am

Ditto: Get rid of the pheasant wings after you play one or two times with them.

Basic household obedience, lots of walks and exploring. Let the pup learn about the out doors, about its own tools, nose eyes etc. Let it chase tweeties, butterlfylyes snow flakes. Don't talk or try to encourage the dog too much. In other words just go for walks. Let it learn. Lots of good socializtion, people, animals, other dogs other places, different fields and woods etc. A well socialized pup, a pup that is left to learn its own capabilities and tools will be a more independent, confident dog. Keep the pup safe. Enjoy the journey.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:27 am

The more he or she runs the better they sleep:). That's what I live by now. What I would do is check out some events around your area and talk with pros and trainers about what you should do. I learned a lot yesterday by talking to some people. Don't matter if its a visa club.. gsp guys are everywhere.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:02 am

Ya got nailed on those wings pertty quick and rightfully so, toss'em. Good time to build a loft and stock it. Doesn't need to be real big, about one square foot per bird. They can be built with scrap material too. Where are you in Eastern Washington?
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:05 pm

Wills,

Ray said it all...
BTW Craigslist is a good start for pigeons

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:06 am

Thanks for all the info. I especially like the one about letting the dog get out and explore and learn about the world.

Books are on order. I've got the following coming:
"How to Have The Best Trained Gun Dog, Taking Advantage of Proven, Unique Training Methods, All Natural - No Expensive Electronics Needed"
"The German Shorthaired Pointer: a Hunter's Guide"
"How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves, Taking Advantage of Early Condtioned Learning"
Any other suggestions?

Pigeons are no problem, got a barn full of 'em. Just need to trap a few, and my chickens are about to need a bigger coop, so maybe I'll move pigeons into the old one. I've also got Quail, Hun, and Pheasant living on the property, once dog training season opens.

I was surprised by the responses regarding the pheasant wings. I thought they were supposed to be a good tool, especially for teaching soft mouth and getting the dog used to retrieving feathers.

And I'm in Dayton, half an hour east of Walla Walla, for whoever was asking. If you're in the neighborhood and want to get out hunting let me know!
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:20 am

Also I've got a good line on a trainer- GWP breeder, but if anyone knows of another good pointer trainer in eastern Washington, please let me know so I can compare.

pnlucian

Post by pnlucian » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:19 am

I was also going to suggest Richard Walters' "Gun Dog: Revolutionary Rapid Training Method". This book helped out a lot while training my gun dog as a pup.
Hope this helps. Good hunting!
Lucian

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Forget the wings. I always trained soft mouth with a medium sized scrub brush. It looks funny, to my wife and friends but man a great fetching tool that will help them soften up. As for the training season opening up. you have property with birds and a dog that needs to be walked. No one in there right mind would ever accuse you of bird training a small pup. turn him out and have alotta fun. Remember, that pup can do no wrong. No reprimanding in the field. Now at home a different story. He still has to learn the ways of the house.

Joe

pauli2k

Post by pauli2k » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:54 am

I have always wondered how to train my dog as a pup. Thanks pnlucian for the advice. I checked out "Revolutionary Training Method" by Richard Walters. Its a pretty nice book.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:08 am

Get the Perfect Start from Perfection Kennels - they are common sense trainers who work with GSP's. You'll be happy you got it.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:40 am

If you can get to where the pigeon's roost, go in at night and pick them up with a flash light and a burlap bag. Like picking apples off a tree. Lot easier than trapping. The birds you get from your barn will likely not resettle in your loft unless you close off every place in the barn they come and go from. When the birds you catch have young one's, those young one's will come back into the loft with having to resettle.

You might add a book to your list, it's my bible. "The Best Way to Train Your Bird Dog - the Delmar Smith Method" x Bill Tarrent. That book was my bible and once I used the method I quit every other method. That was a long time ago and over the years I have changed thing's in it to suit myself but, you watch and you will recognize the method.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

dkas2929

Post by dkas2929 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:32 pm

Wills,
There is a DVD set by Harold Adams and Bob Merkel for people who are considering buying a german shorthair who have little or no knowledge
of the breed. I've seen it and it's quite good, I think you can pick it up at amazon.com Good luck :)

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:06 am

Im kinda in the same boat. I am getting a pup in May. I went to a picnic trial this last weekend and it was pretty fun and some good information. Made some cotacts and saw some dogs work. I am now going to the picnic trials and am going to the up and coming field trial. I will be borrowing a horse :mrgreen: I just got out of horses now the guys are telling me I have to get a walker. If you need some good homers let me know I have a great supply.. My loft holds about 50 bird but my friend that races them has around 500 he is nuts about his birds like we are dogs.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

jgregg

Post by jgregg » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:22 pm

What part of eastern washington? I'm in the tri cities and am a new dog trainer. Just joined the Three Rivers Bird dog club which is helping me a lot along with the Perfect Start/Perfect finish video series. Put out a post asking if you can borrow it. I got multiple offers to borrow it for free and took them up on it! Gotta love GDF :D

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:51 pm

I posted an older version of this in Dec. 2010. Maybe it will guide you somewhat. I happen to agree with Ray G, and others. Above all, be patient with the pup and do a lot of reps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:19 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Get the Perfect Start from Perfection Kennels - they are common sense trainers who work with GSP's. You'll be happy you got it.
+100000 - The Hann's are the best. You can find their DVDs for sale used on this site - cheaper.

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:35 am

ultracarry wrote:The more he or she runs the better they sleep:). That's what I live by now. What I would do is check out some events around your area and talk with pros and trainers about what you should do. I learned a lot yesterday by talking to some people. Don't matter if its a visa club.. gsp guys are everywhere.

I was just viewing my posts from about 2 years ago. My question was what to do with my GSP pup. In reviewing responses, you were, in retrospect, most accurate. It's not written very flowery but please, accept my complement.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri May 04, 2012 5:32 am

+ 1
RayGubernat wrote:
If you want to do something constructive between now and then, set up a pigeon coop and get some homers going. Pigeons are quite possibly the best training bird you can have for a youngster.

RayG
thats some of the best advice your going to get is start your coop now because you may have to breed your own homing flock, it takes some time to raises your own flock of homers trust me mine are sitting on eggs right now, i'm a kid waiting for chrismas because i like to start flying my birds i think my pup could use um 8)

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Fri May 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Whatever you do were ever you go, remember to ha fun ! :wink:

Nothing has changed on the dog side they still hunt use their noses, chase etc.
It will come back to you nothing beats consistancy and love .... good luck.