english setter and german shorthairs

massman

english setter and german shorthairs

Post by massman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:08 pm

I have a question, in your opinion which breed is more hyper, barks more. a field bred english setter(llewellin setter) or a field bred german shorthaired pointer? Also does anyone have any experiance with von kings crossing kennels? (deustche kurzhaars) thanx :) :)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: english setter and german shorthairs

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:30 pm

GSPs tend to be more agressive barkers. I wouldn't call either breed hyper, but both are high energy and destructive if they don't have a proper outlet. I've seen poor temperament in both, but more health problems in setters.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:56 pm

I can't speak for GSPs because I don't have one and have only been around a few (all nice dogs) but my setter only barks when she's playing with the cat and as far as hyper goes she's really mellow as long as she gets her solid hour of running (off-leash) in every day. After that and some time chewing her toys this is what she looks like the rest of the day
Image :roll:
A good rule of thumb: a tired dog is a good dog. :D
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:40 pm

I have both breeds and I don't think you can judge those qualities based on the breed. I think you need to look at the individual dog. My setter had some separation anxiety issues and used to bark and howl a little if she was left alone. She is over that now and we don't have any barking. My 3 year old gsp i don't l think I have heard bark 3 times ever. My 6 year old gsp doesn't bark at all unless she gets stuck outside by herself, then she won't quit. As far as energy, I think that is another thing where you have to look at the breeding, not the breed. I have had gsps on both ends of the spectrum. My 2 now are pretty calm. My setter, it depends on the day.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:44 pm

Ive got 4 dogs out in the kennel 2.5GSP, .5 EP and a lab. They ALL bark. and they are ALL hyper.... a field bred dog is a field bred dog, they have alot of energy. I will say that none of them were really barkers in the house.

JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:49 pm

massman wrote:I have a question, in your opinion which breed is more hyper, barks more. a field bred english setter(llewellin setter) or a field bred german shorthaired pointer? Also does anyone have any experiance with von kings crossing kennels? (deustche kurzhaars) thanx :) :)

I've had both breeds in the house for 13 years now. Neither are any problem at all , AS LONG AS they get sufficient exercise.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:56 pm

JeremyS wrote:I have both breeds and I don't think you can judge those qualities based on the breed. I think you need to look at the individual dog. My setter had some separation anxiety issues and used to bark and howl a little if she was left alone. She is over that now and we don't have any barking. My 3 year old gsp i don't l think I have heard bark 3 times ever. My 6 year old gsp doesn't bark at all unless she gets stuck outside by herself, then she won't quit. As far as energy, I think that is another thing where you have to look at the breeding, not the breed. I have had gsps on both ends of the spectrum. My 2 now are pretty calm. My setter, it depends on the day.
+1...I am always amused whenever the topic of a hyper breed or whether or not a certain breed makes a good house dog, somebody always puts up a picture of one lying on the couch. :lol: But I always enjoy good pics. :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:46 am

JeremyS wrote:I have both breeds and I don't think you can judge those qualities based on the breed.
+1 and 1

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:34 am

In my experience setters are the barkers. I know that there are some setters that don't and some shorthairs that are bad but with the ones I have and have and have had. I have two shorthairs and one setter in the outside kennel and my setter is by far the worst. There are alot of days that she spends with the bark collar on. I think she has even wore one out. As for the shorthairs in the kennels right next to hers the female gsp I very rarely ever hear a peep out of her and the male is the same with the exception of feeding time he'll make some noise when I am first started out there.

Now when I go to a trial my setter doesn't make a peep yet. I have seen alot of them at trials that get right with it. I know a fellow that has Lewellins that he ends up alot of times putting an ecollar on them to get them to start. As far as my shorthairs at teh trials my male is probably one of the biggedt whiners in the crate while we are waiting our turn and the female usually doesn't make a peep. I lost a shorthair a year or so ago that never barked but he was a whiner in the crate. I also have a 5 month old female shorthair in the house. I think I have only bark three times and it was one bark when we were playing. but she is a whiner also.

This is just what I have seen I ma not saying one is better than the other as a matter of fact here are a couple example the other way. I was at a trial once and a guy had an oldler female GSP in a dog box. I had noticed that she barked constantly. She ended up having a seizure so I grabbed her out of the box and luckily I had some honey in my truck and squeezed that in hef mouth. It didn't take long and she was coming out of the seizure. Come to find out the guy was only fed once a day, in the evening and never before a hunt. I told him he may want to change that at least with her. Second example: My brother has a half brother to the female setter I have ( they have the same mother who was also a barker). We were at a trial together and I didn't here him bark at all he just layed on the ground like a perfect gentleman. I don't know how he is at home though.

Sorry this ended up so long I guess I had alot to say.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:54 am

It ain't the breed. It's the dog and the situation.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:41 pm

If a setters not barking you better go make sure he is still alive!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:20 pm

You can teach a dog not to bark as it is growing up, after maturity tho well least in my case. I got one that barks at the wind.... he is not mine tho, I am taking care of him for another person. Mine got the hose treatment at a early age, they only bark if someone is around dont belong.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:32 pm

I have a setter and he only barks when something is 'wrong'

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Believe it or not, one of my setters had never barked ( 9 years old) until this week when she saw a rabbit on the wrong sid of the fence. I've never had a dog who didn't bark before.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

tahi193

Post by tahi193 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:44 am

All of the setters I know bark, some more than others. My 10 month old ES barks outside at EVERYTHING. She also barks if left in her outdoor kennel no matter how long she's in there. In the house when I'm home, she rarely barks unless someone unfamiliar is outside.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:22 pm

I have had a bunch of Setters over the years. My 3 yo is the most vocal one I have ever owned. My 8 month old pup barks about the least I have seen. I think it is more an individual dog thing rather than breed. My buddies GSP barks like my older setter.
Steve

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Massman,
1st we need to determine exactly which dogs you are comparing, if you mean the real German GSP these dogs are bred to be aggessive in the field and layed back around the home. Bidibility is a big factor in German Breeding. American GSP's that are used in some FT, are more hyper animals and can be as hyper as Llew FT stock. However each individaul animal depending on its training acts differently even inside its won breed line. Today it's possible due to modern training collars, to take dogs bred with poor bidability and
train the dogs thru repetative discipline to conform to the masters wishes. So asking this particular question might not be as relevant as it was in the past. However if you are compairing a real German GSP to a modern field bred Llew the breeding of the real German
GSP will most times make the dog more biddable, depending on the line the dog is purchased from.

Gertie,
Your ES looks to have a lot of Ryman Blue Belton in it some place way back, few Llew dogs are going to act like your Blue Belton.
RGD/Dave

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Really, RGD? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:23 pm

I thought blue belton was a color. Like orange belton or tri. ???
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Massman,
1st we need to determine exactly which dogs you are comparing, if you mean the real German GSP these dogs are bred to be aggessive in the field and layed back around the home. Bidibility is a big factor in German Breeding. American GSP's that are used in some FT, are more hyper animals and can be as hyper as Llew FT stock. However each individaul animal depending on its training acts differently even inside its won breed line. Today it's possible due to modern training collars, to take dogs bred with poor bidability and
train the dogs thru repetative discipline to conform to the masters wishes. So asking this particular question might not be as relevant as it was in the past. However if you are compairing a real German GSP to a modern field bred Llew the breeding of the real German
GSP will most times make the dog more biddable, depending on the line the dog is purchased from.

Gertie,
Your ES looks to have a lot of Ryman Blue Belton in it some place way back, few Llew dogs are going to act like your Blue Belton.
RGD/Dave

Dave, I have not seen Llewellin be hyper compare to any other hard running setters. They have lots of energy in the field, which is what you want (or at least what I want), but they are calm and well behaved on the house. They need some exercise, but all dogs need that.

Just haven't seen what you discribe, or our definition of hyper are very different.
Steve

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:00 pm

mudhunter wrote:If a setters not barking you better go make sure he is still alive!
Funny stuff. It seems to me, more times than not if your at a trial and you here endless barking it is coming from a setter. From my experience ofcoarse.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Ron R wrote:
mudhunter wrote:If a setters not barking you better go make sure he is still alive!
Funny stuff. It seems to me, more times than not if your at a trial and you here endless barking it is coming from a setter. From my experience ofcoarse.
Thats not far from the truth, at least for my 3 yo setter :D He thinks its always his turn to go,
But my younger dog is totally the other way, he rarely barks.
Steve

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:08 pm

My current setter is from field trial lines, not a Llew. He likes to bark at things that he thinks need attention. People walking their dogs, cats, various other critters. He does stay indoors in the evening so he isn't a nuisance at night. Setters are definitely more clingy-needy. They want your attention and they let you know it. they aren't as destructive once theyy get past puppy-stage.
The GSP's I've had were definitely more destructive but also quieter, more independent.

Like someone said earlier, you have to get them exercise or any high performance pooch is going to drive you nuts. It's just part of owning a pointing dog, IMO. They want to run.