Which E collar to buy?

sniperjon

Which E collar to buy?

Post by sniperjon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:17 pm

My pup is ready for the e collar but there are so many out there. I think I know what I want but not sure. Looking for some opions. I have a 6 month old britt, I don't need to go more ther 400 yards on the transmitter, I only need a one dog system, I would like something rechargable, Also puppy piggy bank is running low so price is a big factor.

Max2

Re: Which E collar to buy?

Post by Max2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:21 pm

I have a Dogtra 200NCP gold & love it. I would find out what dogtra has now to replace that model & go that route. The 200ncp is an older model. The thing has been great & was affordable.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:26 pm

I like the Tri tronics I have the Pro 100 and also the sport basic...

As for range do not be fooled into getting something you think will suffice...as those 400 yd range that is clear line of sight and fully charged batteries..

I learned over the years on somethings it is best to pay for what will work not just what you can get away with at the cheapest price it will come back to get you in the long run
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:27 pm

2nd the pro 100

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Tritronics Sport basic is fine but if you can get the money together the Dogtra 2500 T&B ( ecollar and beeper) is great!

http://www.gundogsupply.com/click-for-t ... KgodnmQr5Q
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Croix

Post by Croix » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:46 pm

2nd "dogtra 2500 t and b", the locate/beeper is very nice. Range is outstanding . Very durable and good battery.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:50 pm

I have always been a tritronics guy....so I can't speak much to other brands...as I've always stood on the "if it's not broke don't fix it" scenario....of course being a dinosaur to this crazy dog world, I still own many "seasoned" models- Pro 100 2 dog, Pro 500 2 dog, and and Upland special 2 dog....all of them well over 15 years old, I have had them rebuilt and batteries replaced at least a couple times each....there is a place called Collar Clinic that does a fine job supplying parts and refurbishing collars...they also offer a buy, sell, trade, repair platform so you can purchase refurbished devices from them....the one piece of advice I would give is that if price point was a concern, I would say you'd be far better off buying a refurbished top of the line unit now rather than paying a similar price for a new entry level unit and then wanting/needing to upgrade from it later....just food for thought.
"Most certainly there are no things in this world can equal the love of God, Family, Friends and a great Bird Dog."
www.OutlawGundogs.com

Grousewing

Post by Grousewing » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:30 am

I also am getting ready to buy a new e-collar and was looking at the Tri Tronic G3 Sport Basic E-Collar. Can anyone give me some feed back on this collar? How is the range and different levels of stimulation compared to other Tri Tronic models? I understand it has a 1/2 mile range and the others has a 1 mile range but is that still enough in the grouse woods? Is the stimulation range low and high enough for training different dogs? I will be using it for both training dogs and grouse hunting.
Bird dog training and game birds
www.bluegrousekennels.com

sniperjon

Post by sniperjon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:34 am

I would have no problem with a refurbished collar. I guess the question becomes . How reliable is a refurbished collar?

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:39 am

Max2 wrote:I have a Dogtra 200NCP gold & love it. I would find out what dogtra has now to replace that model & go that route. The 200ncp is an older model. The thing has been great & was affordable.
I had the same collar in a 2 dog model, used it for 9 years. Sold it to a friend when I was down to one dog, still going strong. I believe the replacement is the 300M, would definitely it. Have also been pleased with my Sportdog SD-1225 for 2 years.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:45 am

I would also probably rethink the 400 yd range and go with at least a minimum of a 1/2 half mile. Doesn't take a dog long to cover 400 yards, especially if they are chasing something.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:06 am

I'm firmly in the tritronics camp, but that said, Sportdog has a few nice models that are cheaper. I second the collar clinic. Refurbished is cheaper and usually it's someone like me that wants to upgrade to a multiple dog model or something so they trade in their existing collar system. I've had zero trouble with my tritronics and have been using them for about 12 years now.

I echo the other posters - when your dog is out past 400 yards chasing a deer or something - that is when you really NEED the longer range. Radio signal range is reduced significantly in trees, around buildings, in any area with topographic changes, etc. So a 400 yd collar works at 400 yards on the kids' soccer field, but that's about it. Straight line of sight with no topographic changes.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:38 am

rkappes wrote:I would also probably rethink the 400 yd range and go with at least a minimum of a 1/2 half mile. Doesn't take a dog long to cover 400 yards, especially if they are chasing something.
X2! :mrgreen:
As the training continues, you will be wishing that you had more range. Also remember that hills and rough terrain can shorten the range of collar too. Better to have more than less.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:08 am

I use a tri tronics classic. I only need one button on the transmitter to cause stimulation. Makes it easier to use when hunting. I have had to recharge the transmitter once in an entire year. The receiver last about two days also.

I had a dogtra that needed to be charged a lot. I think it was the light for the screen.

My goal is to keep it simple. More buttons with your decided attention between the dog and collar you will make more mistakes.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:28 am

sniperjon - where are you located and what kind of conditions do you hunt in? The reason I ask is living in MN, I've had terrible problems with my Dogtra 2500T&B in cold weather (10 degrees or colder) because the rheostat dial is very stiff and the LCD screen is useless. I have to keep it inside my coat to make it warm enough to be usable, which is a PITA when I have to dig it out quickly to correct a dog. I have since gone back to TT and absolutely love it, though I wish they had a better beeper collar setup.

CalebMitchell

Post by CalebMitchell » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:04 pm

I might get lashed for saying this, but I'm a SportDog guy. I've used the SD1825 for a year now, and LOVE IT. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
Steve Snell has some good reviews on the website.
Go here for a basic rundown:
http://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-trainin ... picks.html
~Caleb & Red Dog~

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 pm

sniperjon wrote:I would have no problem with a refurbished collar. I guess the question becomes . How reliable is a refurbished collar?

From my understanding they come with the same warranty as a new one. I've had mine sent in and re-done a couple times and have never had any issues...but I'd guess there would a failure rate of some sort in both new and refurbished.
"Most certainly there are no things in this world can equal the love of God, Family, Friends and a great Bird Dog."
www.OutlawGundogs.com

carlrh42

Post by carlrh42 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Sportdog 1850 Works great

crh

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Grousewing wrote:I also am getting ready to buy a new e-collar and was looking at the Tri Tronic G3 Sport Basic E-Collar. Can anyone give me some feed back on this collar? How is the range and different levels of stimulation compared to other Tri Tronic models? I understand it has a 1/2 mile range and the others has a 1 mile range but is that still enough in the grouse woods? Is the stimulation range low and high enough for training different dogs? I will be using it for both training dogs and grouse hunting.

I use it- basic, durable , effective. Many levels of stimulation - very low to a ridiculous high. Has the bzzz feature. Range depends on the terrain. Needs charging maybe once every 2 weeks.I've had 3 dogs on it. It was great for all my dogs but have an old dog that can get lost so also use the Dogtra 2500 T/B for her.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/click-for-t ... KgodnmQr5Q
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Grousewing

Post by Grousewing » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Thanks for the info I went to Basss Pro Shop today to buy the Tri Tronics Sport Basic and they were sold out, so I got the manager to sell me the Sport Combo for the same price....... :mrgreen:
Bird dog training and game birds
www.bluegrousekennels.com

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:13 pm

You can't go wrong with a Tri Tronic, but as others have said, buy as much range as you can afford. In the Grouse woods or hilly terrain, range will go way down on any brand of collar due to line of sight and cover. Have a dog get on a Deer and see how fast they are out of range!
I know some have had good luck with Sportdog, but from my experience with 3 of them as back up collars, they were JUNK. Granted, I train full time, every single day and am more demanding of my equipment, but having continuous battery issues and inconsistent stimulation was cause for me to give all 3 away free, with a warning to their new owners. I think all have since replaced them.
I had good luck with my former DT collar and abused the heck out of it for almost 10 years, but customer service was sorely lacking from DT on some issues and when mine gave up the ghost, I replaced it with the TT Pro 100. Consistent, reliable, very convenient and easy to use, American made and fantastic customer service(IF I need it); all features I need and/or want.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

sniperjon

Post by sniperjon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:27 pm

JakeDD wrote:sniperjon - where are you located and what kind of conditions do you hunt in? The reason I ask is living in MN, I've had terrible problems with my Dogtra 2500T&B in cold weather (10 degrees or colder) because the rheostat dial is very stiff and the LCD screen is useless. I have to keep it inside my coat to make it warm enough to be usable, which is a PITA when I have to dig it out quickly to correct a dog. I have since gone back to TT and absolutely love it, though I wish they had a better beeper collar setup.

I live in massachusetts. The hunting up here is in a lot of smaller fields. Not even close to the size of open hunting area like the midwest and of coarse it can be 5 degress in the morning and by midafternoon 55.

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:49 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
Max2 wrote:I have a Dogtra 200NCP gold & love it. I would find out what dogtra has now to replace that model & go that route. The 200ncp is an older model. The thing has been great & was affordable.
I had the same collar in a 2 dog model, used it for 9 years. Sold it to a friend when I was down to one dog, still going strong. I believe the replacement is the 300M, would definitely it. Have also been pleased with my Sportdog SD-1225 for 2 years.
I've got one of those too. By far the best collar I have ever owned. I like Tritronics but I've never had one that didn't require battery replacement after a few years. The Dogtra just keeps going and going. 5 years of hard use on mine now. Beeper works as good as new.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:46 pm

K-9's favorite, the Pro 100. Tough and trouble free. Has all the intensities you'll ever need.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:53 pm

I like the Tritronic esp. Works well and has a long range.

tthaden

Post by tthaden » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:39 am

Check with Scheels, Cabela's, Bass Pro, and they will all tell you that the brand returned the LEAST is the DT Systems. That speaks to their quality and reliabilty. Just FYI
2009 GSPCA NATIONAL ALL AGE CHAMPION
2009 GSPCA Open All Age Dog Of The Year
3 1/2 years Old
OFA... GOOD

http://www.onpointkennelsgsp.com

NFC FC On Points Son Of The Max http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2452

rockyridge kennels

Post by rockyridge kennels » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:39 am

Used them all, was a big TT guy.

Now Dogtra all the way!

Or PM Hunter on this forum he has a great deal on some collars.

jforgey

Post by jforgey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:48 pm

I suggest a visit to Gun Dog Supply's website. www.gundogsupply.com
He has a lot of information and great reviews. You can get some very good collars for under $300.