Terms we use

Scott Linden

Terms we use

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Do you think it might be helpful to everyone if I compiled a glossary of terms we all use? For all the beginners here, seminars, hunter ed classes, etc. a document that helps newbies come up to speed faster might be very valuable. And you never know, you might even learn something yourself!

if you want to help (I'll do the dirty work and post the final version) make your contribution here!

Think of it as a bird dog and hunting "Wikipedia," if you like. Everything from funny critter names to training terms, gear and dog anatomy, habitat and gun stuff ... you name it. If you've ever had to explain or define a word for someone, it probably belongs on the list!

Thanks.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Terms we use

Post by DonF » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Bend, Ore? Few of us are going to start getting together training a bit this spring. Guy from Redmond, Lady, Gertie on here, from Bend, hunting buddy from Sisters and a few other's from the area. Got a PM from a guy in Lakeview that wants to come up for them too. You up for it?

Glossery of terms, great idea! Only problem would be deciding on which defination to give the terms. A lot of guy's use terms with a lot of leeway in their meaning. I think mit's a great idea though. I know on some of the reloading and shooting sites I visit, new folks try to explain questions and we have to read between the lines to help them for no other reason than thay use the wrong term's to desctibe something. ie Which rrifle should I get for deer hunting, a 30-06 or a 270. Well 30-07 and 270 are not rifles, they're cartridges. Cartridges are used in rifles. Same thing happens on dog site's but not near as much.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:09 am

Scott, I think it is a great idea :D

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:54 am

+1 it is a good idea.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:03 am

Okay I'm in. here's two. 1. Started dog- A dog that the owner wants to get rid of as fast as he can.
2. Broke dog- A dog whose owner is a habitual liar. :D

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:11 am

I think that would be beneficial. I was, and still am confused about the term avoidance training in reference to ecollar training. Seems like some people use the term for teaching the dog to avoid deer, snakes etc by giving it painful zap and keeping your mouth shut. Others seem to use the term as meaning using low level continuous stim with commands and teaching the dog how to avoid or turn off the stim. I can see it both ways, but which is correct?

codym

Post by codym » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:15 am

Very funny chukar!

Ralph Ford

Post by Ralph Ford » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:18 am

Scott, I think a glossary of sorts would be interesting. A comedic variety such as Chukarmandoo's suggestions would be a riot, and would get my nod if I was paying.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 am

chukarmandoo wrote:Okay I'm in. here's two. 1. Started dog- A dog that the owner wants to get rid of as fast as he can.
If this thread is to continue and actually help some newcomers it will have to be kept accurate and not a place to exhibit your wit. Wits and half wits :roll: should start a new thread. 8)

Thankyou,
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:04 am

ezzy333 wrote:
chukarmandoo wrote:Okay I'm in. here's two. 1. Started dog- A dog that the owner wants to get rid of as fast as he can.
If this thread is to continue and actually help some newcomers it will have to be kept accurate and not a place to exhibit your wit. Wits and half wits :roll: should start a new thread. 8)

Thankyou,
Ezzy
Sorry Ezzy. Didn't know this was the finial draft. If it is, my spelling is off.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 am

chukarmandoo wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Thankyou,
Ezzy
Sorry Ezzy. Didn't know this was the finial draft. If it is, my spelling is off.
It isn't the final draft as Scott asked for your definitions so he could edit them and put them in some sort of order.
'
Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:45 am

ezzy333 wrote:

Thankyou,
Ezzy

My gawd man you really need to relax

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:34 pm

QuillGordon wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Thankyou,
Ezzy

My gawd man you really need to relax

Would you like to go back and read the offer Scott made to the members on this forum? Maybe you would like to help him sort through the enteries he asked for. I have no problem with most any topic but when you do not show any respect for someone making an offer to do a lot of work for yours and everyone elses benefit I think the least we can do is show a little respect and help as much as we can even though most of us wouldn't go to the work.
Nope, no relaxing when it comes to each of us showing some respect to our fewllow members.

Ezzy

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:15 pm

I know that when I first heard about field trial handlers "singing" to their dogs, that I thought it really meant singing. All I could imagine was a field trial filled with lots of loud off key tunes. :)

Here's what I've come to understand it to mean:
Singing: uniform noise or call to your dog while on course to let them know where you're at when they are not in sight.

Please feel free to expand or change.
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:54 pm

While I think it is a good idea, I don't think it will work. Look how the "broke" thread went. What happens when you try to define words like "started dog" or "bird intro"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:24 pm

brad27 wrote:While I think it is a good idea, I don't think it will work. Look how the "broke" thread went. What happens when you try to define words like "started dog" or "bird intro"
I guess we will find out. We will never know unless we try.

Ezzy

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:34 pm

I think it can be done. Scott will need to be patient, and flexible. He can put in a couple of definitions
of each phrase if it seems many people use it one way and others use it another way.
Example: Started dog. This is something different to different people. But I believe it is universally
accepted that the dog has gone through some training and is showing the results of the training. The
exact definition of what a trainer might mean is up to the trainer. When I first got into the hunting dogs
I figured there was no strict definition and asked questions accordingly.
Listing things that the dog has been trained for that may be in the definition of started dog might be
part of the definition. Sit, heel, whoa, etc.

JMHO

Mike

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:06 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
brad27 wrote:While I think it is a good idea, I don't think it will work. Look how the "broke" thread went. What happens when you try to define words like "started dog" or "bird intro"
I guess we will find out. We will never know unless we try.

Ezzy
Well in that case,

Broke- steady to wing and shot

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:35 pm

DogNewbie,
It is not unusual for a term to have multiple meanings. Just look in any of the dictionaries. Just list the agreed to definitions for a term and move on. Your example is spot on for multiple meanings for that term.

I think the project is doable and worthwhile.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Interesting project...count me in. We also need to consider the fact that some terms are regionable.

For example here in the South (where we have our own language :D) I might ask someone if they want to "work dogs" on Saturday, meaning do you want to have a training session on Saturday.

Old timers refer to male dogs as "dogs" and female dogs as "jips" or "bitches". If they say they have a
"dog" you know they have a male dog, otherwise they would say they have a "jip" or "bitch".

In hunting dog circles a "broke dog" is one that is steady to flush and will honor a bracemate's point (back). It's common the hear a hunter say their dog will point, back and retreive, therefor is a "broke dog".

In field trial circles a "broke dog" is one that is steady to wing and shot.

asc

Post by asc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:01 pm

highcotton wrote:Interesting project...count me in. We also need to consider the fact that some terms are regionable.

For example here in the South (where we have our own language :D) I might ask someone if they want to "work dogs" on Saturday, meaning do you want to have a training session on Saturday.

Old timers refer to male dogs as "dogs" and female dogs as "jips" or "bitches". If they say they have a
"dog" you know they have a male dog, otherwise they would say they have a "jip" or "bitch".

In hunting dog circles a "broke dog" is one that is steady to flush and will honor a bracemate's point (back). It's common the hear a hunter say their dog will point, back and retreive, therefor is a "broke dog".

In field trial circles a "broke dog" is one that is steady to wing and shot.
Yes x2 on the project and on the southern lingo. It ain't all old timers that refer to jips.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:48 pm

A jip. Never heard of that one.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:40 am

DonF wrote:A jip. Never heard of that one.
In hound terms a gyp is a young female that has never been bred.
Last edited by Ron R on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:43 am

Great idea! Some terms such as "hunting dead" sound pretty self explanatory but to the new comer, he/she may not understand exactly what that entails. Also abbreviations such as STWS [probably already mentioned] and even breed such as GSP, EP, ES, ESS, V dogs, etc. etc.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:59 am

Ron R wrote:
DonF wrote:A jip. Never heard of that one.
In hound terms a gyp is a young female that has never been bred.
What he said.
Never heard of a jip, but a gyp is a common term.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:38 am

This would be nice to have on this board so you don't have to jump all over to get info. A couple I can think of is
Your testing and champion meanings. Junior hunter, senior hunter , master hunter , field champion, versitile champion
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:02 am

I have a bunch of terms but, they are mostly R rated. So I am out. :mrgreen:

P.S.

You have training terms that have different versions from different regions and different levels.
You have different venues that you must train at least to their level.

You have just the most important which is hunting.
There are different levels for different manners of hunting.

Honoring: . Retrievers and NAVHDA VC pointing dogs, honor a retrieve from waters edge. Pointing dogs honor a dogs retrieve.
Backing: Pointing dogs, NAVHDA VC dogs, honor anothers dog on point
Whoa: Bird stops them or the command stops them. Stop, don't move one #@((*&# inch. Stop when I say it even if you are running 20 miles and hour after a deer. Stop and stay stopped till released. Whoa broke dog stop dead in its tracks when commanded or qued by a bird.
Stay: Don't come through that door, don't come out of the truck kennel, etc. (means stay in the area, not advancing or following.
Hup: Flushers help with your definitions, Hup, means stop and sit at flush or command. I think,
Stop to flush: Dog bumps a bird or rips it out. It stops dead in it tracks, does not advance.
Quartering: I have my definition but it is vague so please fill in.
Heel: walk by your preferred side, head no further forward than your knee, not forging forward, not falling behind. On or Off lead same definition.

Steady: to what level?
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Ruffshooter wrote: Stop to flush: Dog bumps a bird or rips it out. It stops dead in it tracks, does not advance.
If you are hoping to compete in broke dogs stakes there is a pretty big difference between a Stop to Flush which earns you credit for acceptable bird work and a Stop to Knock (or Bump) which earns you a long trip back to the chain gang.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:52 pm

This is great stuff - and please lighten up. I like funny stuff more than most and can generally tell what is the serious stuff and what isn't. You can always add a smiley to clue me in. Keep up the great work.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Scott Linden wrote:This is great stuff - and please lighten up. I like funny stuff more than most and can generally tell what is the serious stuff and what isn't. You can always add a smiley to clue me in. Keep up the great work.
Can you make two lists? One for fun and the other for all the serious stuff.

BTW....thanks for doing this.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:29 pm

CHJIII wrote:
Scott Linden wrote:This is great stuff - and please lighten up. I like funny stuff more than most and can generally tell what is the serious stuff and what isn't. You can always add a smiley to clue me in. Keep up the great work.
Can you make two lists? One for fun and the other for all the serious stuff.

BTW....thanks for doing this.
+1

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:36 pm

I have no problem with the humorous side of this either but we need a different thread if we are going to do that. This one for the actual definitions and start another for the humorous side.

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:54 am

Tethering and carding birds.
Staunch and steady.
Head crank.
Upwind, down wind, cross wind.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

MTR

Post by MTR » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:41 am

Soft
Sharp

Those really threw my father for a loop when we were describing some of the different personality traits of the dogs in our training group.

How about:

Blink
Road (Roading) (Road-in)
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:09 am

Race- discription of how a dog covers the ground, ie. big forward race.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:27 am

Field trials - AKC, American field, or breed club specific competitions either walking or on horseback.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:14 am

This really is a good idea, probably should end up being a sticky. I like the idea of using all the different ways we know of for meaning's of different words. Lord know's I don't agree with some of them but in fact there are different meanings. Someone understands that and they'll know to ask a question. Be nice if there was a dictionary for dog word term's. Should stay non topic too, getting off topic makes it hard for some of us to follow whats happening.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:11 pm

slistoe wrote:
Ruffshooter wrote: Stop to flush: Dog bumps a bird or rips it out. It stops dead in it tracks, does not advance.
If you are hoping to compete in broke dogs stakes there is a pretty big difference between a Stop to Flush which earns you credit for acceptable bird work and a Stop to Knock (or Bump) which earns you a long trip back to the chain gang.
Yup that is right. So even a simple term has more finite meanings too. Thanks for the add on.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:25 pm

I have no idea why a few of you want this locked or are you just pressing for a little time on the bench? You have been asked about as nicely as possible and I do not intend to just keep deleteing post with no consequences. You decide.

Ezzy

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:53 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I have no idea why a few of you want this locked or are you just pressing for a little time on the bench? You have been asked about as nicely as possible and I do not intend to just keep deleteing post with no consequences. You decide.

Ezzy
So, mine gets deleted and Traditions' stays?

Why don't we ask Scott how he would like to do this. After all, this is his undertaking. Scott, would you like both serious and humorous definitions in one thread that you can edit and sort later or would you like two different threads?

Btw, I'd be happy to start another "humorous" thread and compile the list if you'd like.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:31 pm

brad27 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I have no idea why a few of you want this locked or are you just pressing for a little time on the bench? You have been asked about as nicely as possible and I do not intend to just keep deleteing post with no consequences. You decide.

Ezzy
So, mine gets deleted and Traditions' stays?

Why don't we ask Scott how he would like to do this. After all, this is his undertaking. Scott, would you like both serious and humorous definitions in one thread that you can edit and sort later or would you like two different threads?

Btw, I'd be happy to start another "humorous" thread and compile the list if you'd like.
Thank you, that was supposed to be gone.

Ezzy

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:35 pm

brad27 wrote: Btw, I'd be happy to start another "humorous" thread and compile the list if you'd like.
Do it if you want a humorous one.That is what was decided when we started this. I doubt Scott or any of you know how much work this will be even if we make it as easy as possible. And as several others have stated,it needs to be kept on subject.'

'Ezzy

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:58 pm

birddogger wrote:Tethering and carding birds.
Staunch and steady.
Head crank.
Upwind, down wind, cross wind.

Charlie
I am looking forward to learning the meaning of these. I think you have a great thread going this stuff can be intimidating for rokies like me.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:32 pm

That is a pretty good list.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:39 pm

For the retriever guys.
http://www.retrievertraining.net/got.htm

I hope nobody gets affended the list contains both real and humorous terms in the same glossary. 8)

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:05 am

There's a big glossary in the back of the AKC rule book. Starts around page 57.
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RFTPNT.pdf

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:45 am

If you are an anal perfectionist, is your dog ever broke or finished?

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:10 am

I would like to suggest some things which would facilitate the management of this project. If possible a place needs to be created which lists all the terms that people would like to see defined. Nothing more than a list of terms. Need one person to maintain the list. All terms are to be submitted to that person and that person then puts the word on the list. Eliminates duplication because of capitalization and/or spelling. Also need someone to start and manage a thread per term on the list. I would recommend that you pull terms from the Need to be defined list in groups of 5 to keep it manageable. Once a thread resolves a definition. The term should be removed from the list of terms needing definition and the term and its associated definition be placed in the Defined term list. This defined term list should also be maintained by a single person to get uniformity in style within the list. Just some thoughts to bring some organization to this chaos. OMG what have I done? :mrgreen:
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Btw, I'd be happy to start another "humorous" thread and compile the list if you'd like.[/quote]

I'll do the "serious" version. Work out the other one however you like. I promise to laugh, though.