ATV Hitch Mount Kennel

crappieguy

ATV Hitch Mount Kennel

Post by crappieguy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:19 pm

Rather than scratch the heck out of my truck, I'd like to know if anyone has ever found a hitch mount kennel or 2 kennel hitch mount for our two GSP's. The country that we go into is really tough on a vehicle but not too bad for an ATV (Polaris 700). This would also save the dogs strength and pads for the actual hunting areas which are spread out over the forest and rough cover valleys. Anyone else ever tried this? We don't travel fast on the ATV's ...~3-5km's /hr..so the dog's won't be battered around and in really rough spots they'd be let out to walk to the more passable trail again.We also, figure the crates would have to be padded. Welcome any thoughts or info on distributors.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin

ibbowhunting

Re: ATV Hitch Mount Kennel

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:14 am

i've never done it personally but the people in this area that run dogs on grouse seem to all have boxs on the racks of there wheeler and run from spot to spot

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:56 am

http://m.cabelas.com:80/cabelas/product ... yId=&path=

If you can find crates that fit your dog that are small enough to fit facing to the side I would ratchet strap them in and secure them with bolts through the bottom.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Most of the ATVs I've seen have the exhaust coming out the back and very close to the receiver hitch. I'd sooner mount a piece of plywood to the rear rack and bolt a couple plastic kennels to that.
Plus the receiver hitch mount will make your machine that much longer when going trew ditches and ruts.

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Trade the 4-wheeler in on a UTV. We use a Polaris Ranger and now that I have one, I'll never own 4 wheeler. The dump box is just way too practical.
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:42 am

Crappieguy,
Years ago we set up a rear hitch cargo Dog box for training our Grouse dogs in the mountains, works great even swings out away from the vehicle. We do not transport the dogs on major high ways with it. We use it on the mountain roads in the Pa mountains as we train. It takes a good sized vehicle to set this up properly.
RGD/Dave

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:21 am

On the ATV: I shove two dogs in one large or extra large Plastic pet crate depending on who I m taking. It fits up on my wire work rack on the back.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:21 pm

doco wrote:Trade the 4-wheeler in on a UTV. We use a Polaris Ranger and now that I have one, I'll never own 4 wheeler. The dump box is just way too practical.
Do you have a crate or 2 in the back or just let them chill in the back? I was just wondering if you had 2 crates how much room that would leave for everything else you would bring with you.

Thanks,
Corry

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:32 am

2012 Ranger Bed Box Dimensions (LxWxH) = 36.5 x 54 x 11.5"
You *should* be able to fit 2 Large (400 size) kennels side by side (36"X24"X26").

I also just found this setup for Rangers - looks pretty sweet.
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.ph ... did=388310

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:10 pm

I found the hitch was not strong enough to support ole 85lb Oak, so we went with the rack mount instead

crappieguy

Post by crappieguy » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:13 pm

ThANKS FOR THE PIC...THINK i'LL GOI WITH THIS....the rack mounting of a crate. Never thought about the exhaust. Carried a deer back there no reason my dog can't ride up with me. probably better for rear clearances also when going through those low quick changinging elevations such as dry creek bottoms and washouts.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin