Inside or outside?

spottebaum1

Inside or outside?

Post by spottebaum1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:47 pm

What are peoples views on having your gun dog in the house with you or outside in the kennel? What are the pros and cons of having the dog outside? My reason for asking is my britt is 6 months old and I am thinking of bringing him in the house. He has been an outside dog since we got him so we would have to go thru the house training and all that. I was just curious what others think about having him inside rather than out.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Inside or outside?

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:56 pm

I have 4 inside bird dogs (two EP's, a GSP and a Vizsla). I think they bond better with us, they listen better, and they are "tuned in" to us better. I have had and still do have outside only dogs. I prefer the relationships with the inside dogs. We did have a great GSP that prefered to live outside - she would pant and cry at the door when we brought her in. She was also a good dog though. I don't see a single downside to having an inside hunting dog - and I can see some downsides to having them outside only. You have your hands on them more frequently when they are inside dogs - that's for sure. It may be a bit of anthropomorphism, but I think dogs enjoy being a "part of the pack" and living with their families. Wild canids enjoy living in packs, so I think dogs enjoy living with others too - even if it's just people and not other dogs.

Angus

Post by Angus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:01 pm

I like my dogs living in the house with us. They are part of our family and now our daughter wouldn't have it any other way. I am a believer of a friend/family member will hunt harder for you. If I had more dogs than we have, I would be building a kennel out in the barn to keep them in.

The day a pup comes into our home we are house breaking the pup. It shouldn't be too hard with yours, but patience will be needed.

Texasdogtrainer

Post by Texasdogtrainer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:02 pm

I don't like to go to work with dog hair on me. Dogs are in the kennel.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:11 pm

My dog's have always been and will always be in the house. I wouldn't have it any other way . ( IMO ) My last shorthair as well as my current one are & were very good hunters.

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:13 pm

My dogs are inside dogs. The disadvantage is that they are not used to being out in the cold all day when hunting and the cold seems to take tons of weight off them, but that may be true of all hunting dogs.
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

spottebaum1

Post by spottebaum1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:27 pm

I have heard from a few people that by bringing the dog in the house they lose a lil of their drive or become soft. I'm not sure on this, have any of you had this experience?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:29 pm

Mine are always inside, but for my next hunter, I will also have an outside kennel just for another management option. He/she will sleep in the crate inside, though. Outside during the day when I'm at work.

I think some dogs can tolerate being in a kennel well, and others not so much. Not a breed thing, but an individual dog thing.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:51 pm

My dog is both. She heads to the kennel at 730 in the am and then comes in at 8 and is in the rest of the night. She gets her family time but still has to learn kennel manners also. She has handled it well.

Joe

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 pm

spottebaum1 wrote:I have heard from a few people that by bringing the dog in the house they lose a lil of their drive or become soft. I'm not sure on this, have any of you had this experience?

Absolutely not in my case (4 or so sample size). Also kept a beagle inside and when we hunted it with the rest of the pack, he was always one of the better dogs. Birds are what gives a dog "drive", well that and genetics. Nothing to do with being an outside dog. Why on earth would that affect drive?

fireangel

Post by fireangel » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 am

My dog is an outside dog and she is happy outside. When I bring her in sometimes in the winter she starts panting almost instantly because it is too hot for her. Neither my wife or I want to be cleaning up dog hair all of the time either.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:24 am

I like dogs as much as any body and a lot more than most people, but I do not lose sight of the fact that they are dogs. I keep my dogs out side and I actually think they like it that way. I have three pens that are 35' wide and 100' feet deep, the dogs have room to run around, play, dig, and just do whatever dogs like to do. I see my dogs in very much the same light as I see my horses, I like them, I take good care of them, I spend a lot of time with them, they bring me a lot of happiness, but I have no desire to sleep with them.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:40 am

I had a long thing typed out but rinker put it much better than I can

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Another hunting dog website I read regularly just had a poll on this question and 85% of people who had hunting dogs kept them indoors. Of those who kept them indoors 50% claim to have them in the bedroom also. I have had hounds and now a bird dog and will always keep them indoors. The best performing dogs I have hunted over were also indoor dogs. Now I'm sure those dogs would be just as effective if outdoor kept but I can't see why it would affect drive or nose. Now if I was a duck hunter and owned a lab or chessy I would definitely have an outdoor run as I do feel it does make a dog which can handle the cold better.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

DougB

Post by DougB » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Dogs are one of the most adaptable creatures that exist. They will get used to any way you chose to raise them. I like a dog head on my lap while watching TV. I like knowing that the dog is watching the house and will bark if alerted. I like having someone in the house glad to see me home from work, no matter how bad her day has been. Hair on the sofa is a cheap price. When I worked on the road, my wife liked having 70 lbs of lab watching the door. The door was secure.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:18 pm

There are pluses and negatives to both but it all boils down to personal preference and either way is not going to affect there hunting desire and drive. Having said that, mine are outside dogs but get plenty of attention.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:32 pm

spottebaum1 wrote:I have heard from a few people that by bringing the dog in the house they lose a lil of their drive or become soft. I'm not sure on this, have any of you had this experience?
most say this is not TRUE but i believe outside dog in kennel is full of energy to get out and hunt.in house they are shown attention etc.so they may be a little soft.they may not?
only what i have seen with my dogs over 46 years with dad.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:35 pm

terrym wrote:Another hunting dog website I read regularly just had a poll on this question and 85% of people who had hunting dogs kept them indoors. Of those who kept them indoors 50% claim to have them in the bedroom also. I have had hounds and now a bird dog and will always keep them indoors. The best performing dogs I have hunted over were also indoor dogs. Now I'm sure those dogs would be just as effective if outdoor kept but I can't see why it would affect drive or nose. Now if I was a duck hunter and owned a lab or chessy I would definitely have an outdoor run as I do feel it does make a dog which can handle the cold better.
if that poll was done in 1970,it would 85% outside.people have changed over years.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:37 pm

JIM K wrote:
terrym wrote:Another hunting dog website I read regularly just had a poll on this question and 85% of people who had hunting dogs kept them indoors. Of those who kept them indoors 50% claim to have them in the bedroom also. I have had hounds and now a bird dog and will always keep them indoors. The best performing dogs I have hunted over were also indoor dogs. Now I'm sure those dogs would be just as effective if outdoor kept but I can't see why it would affect drive or nose. Now if I was a duck hunter and owned a lab or chessy I would definitely have an outdoor run as I do feel it does make a dog which can handle the cold better.
if that poll was done in 1970,it would 85% outside.people have changed over years.
There is no doubt about that.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:54 pm

One brother & his wife routinely sleep with five or six dogs in the bedroom. My wife & I have never slept with our dogs. Another brother has routinely slept with a couple of dogs, one of them a AA National Champion. Nope, I've never seen any difference in their hardness, drive or energy.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Deets

Post by Deets » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:57 pm

My dog dosn't even have a backyard. We live in a condo, and he has more drive than I could ever ask for. He would hunt until he dropped if I let him.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Texasdogtrainer wrote:I don't like to go to work with dog hair on me. Dogs are in the kennel.
I have inside dogs that have been transitioned into the mudroom as their "In house accomodations" instead of them having the full run of the house. Having a child and a newly remodeled and re-furnished house changed my outlook on that... I too agree that the dog hair issue is a nuisance, and unsightly on a $2000 couch or my clothing. :lol:

As far as dogs hunting better inside versus outside, I am not so sure about that theory as I used to be. One thing I am sure of though... Our house is much cleaner and easier to keep, post transition. :wink:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

spottebaum1

Post by spottebaum1 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:34 pm

thanks for everyone's input on this, we tried to bring our britt inside but i feel like he would rather be outside. When he is inside he sits at the back door and just stares at me like well aren't you going to open the door lol.

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Ours are pretty spoiled... when we are home they are on the first floor with us... when we are not home they have the basement dog room for themselves with a dog door to a dog yard. The yard is probably 90x40, and fenced. Actually installed a web-cam to watch them during the day, and we've also put one on the whelping box (Tess due any day now, and it'll be our last litter for a couple years).

ALL of the dogs are house broken, and crate trained (except the original house dog whose 12, and "bleep" we just aren't gonna bother). The crate training is essential for us, with 7 dogs in the house... it makes feeding and bed time a lot easier to deal with... plus it keeps the neighbors (and us) happier with no barking at night outside.

Dog dormer/Dog Door from basement
This is the dog yard standing at the dog door turned right
Oh and this is their room in the basement
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:24 pm

The wirehaired breeds don't seem to like being kept outside, especially the Griffs & Spinones. They are both rather clingy breeds.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:19 pm

My Brittany is as inside as inside gets. Yes she sleeps in the bed with us. When we are gone though she is either outside or in her crate if it's raining. She runs AA as a Brittany and I foot hunt over her during hunting season. IMO the extra attention she gets when in the house makes her a better hunting dog because the bond between us is better and she just wants to please when in the field. IMO a dog that is spoiled and loved but still given solid guidelines to live by makes the best dog.

tahi193

Post by tahi193 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:44 pm

My dog, Ellie, stays in an outdoor kennel during the day and comes in at night. I think this is ideal. I've heard stories of GSP in particular being highly destructive when left alone and I know for sure that my setter would eat the furniture if I left her alone in the house. Ellie enjoys being with the family at night, although I never allow her to sleep with me. I make sure she knows which places are for her to sit in because it's easier to clean and control the shedding if she isn't all over the furniture and bed.

I don't think living inside makes a dog "soft." Ellie has more than enough drive and she tolerates all kinds of weather with not problem. If anything, I think having her in the house has made her more even-tempered than my dad's dogs who are strictly outside dogs. Ellie knows when to act like a pet and when to hunt because I've been around to teach her how to behave.

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:16 pm

Both. Dog stays inside but we have a nice bricked floor pen for times we are away for long. Dog hair is a condiment in my house. If you don't like it, your not my kind of person... Don't like it don't stay. My dog has more drive than any other dog I have EVER trained or hunted with and most of them were outside only dogs.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Since I've been married my new EP is the first to make it inside :D . Back in my single days they stayed inside. Don't think you'll be able to tell the difference, bird drive takes over.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:30 am

Mine will only be outside when I am at work, then back in as soon as I get home.
Corry

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:08 pm

Here's my view on the situation. :lol: