e collar which the best for me

ibbowhunting

e collar which the best for me

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:55 pm

ok i know this is a matter of opinion, but i guess thats that i'm after is the opinion of yours on e collars i thinking investing in a e collar my use would be for one dog my britt their so many out thier what do i what or need ,i think i want an expandable unit. should i get a beeper? what brand is the best? again in your opinion. gps or not? i don't mind spending the money for a great collar with all the bells and whistles but if i only need the bells and not the whistles why spend the extra money. i guess what i'm after if you could pick one e coller to hunt and train a bittany with, that is expandable in case i add more dogs to the family in the future, what would it be? a model # and or brand would help me narrow it down. thanks again your opinions would be very helpful Fyi over 10 years ago i bought a innotek to train my lab it was very simple but worked very well its here somewhere if i can find it but i think i need a new one

Gertie

Re: e collar which the best for me

Post by Gertie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:07 pm

I wanted a unit that ranged up to a mile and would work for up to 3 dogs. I wound up with a TriTronics Pro 100 and really like it. It doesn't have the vibrate feature on it but it does have a tone button (not a locator button, it's just a quiet tone that only the dog can hear). Anyway, there are a lot of good ones out there. I know someone that has a Dogtra 2500 and he likes it a lot too. Here's the link to the TriTronics Pro. http://www.tritronics.com/pro-100-g3-exp.html
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:34 pm

oh boy another collar thread, you know this is the first forum I've ever been a member at that didn't have stickies... I vote for an ecollar sticky

On another note, this is a more situation question. I have a sport dog, wouldn't buy one again, go with tri tronics, learn from the rest of our mistakes.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:47 pm

isonychia wrote:oh boy another collar thread, you know this is the first forum I've ever been a member at that didn't have stickies... I vote for an ecollar sticky

On another note, this is a more situation question. I have a sport dog, wouldn't buy one again, go with tri tronics, learn from the rest of our mistakes.

yeah i figure i was going to get a little flak for askin about a collar, your right stickies on very useful threads, would cut down on alot of reposts. thats why i'm askn to learn from your mistake and maybe some day i can help you out

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:47 pm

is Tri Tronics the only made in the usa e collar or are their others this might help make my mind up on brand anyway

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:55 pm

Tri Tronics make's good collar's, everyone does! Get the one you can afford with what ever features you think you need. My collar's only do two things, they stimulawte and buzz, that's it. That's all I want but other people have different ideas. I think GPS and those locater deals are well and good if you think you might need them, I've seldom needed the. Get what you can afford. If money is an issue, google Collar Clinic, they sell refurbished one pretty reasonable.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:04 pm

I have used TT since e-collars were introduced. I have upgraded several times but never due to failure of the equipment. I did try Inotec's launchers and backing dog. I'll just say that I will never buy anything Inotec again and let it go at that.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:20 pm

I use Dogtra 2500 B/T ( beeper and training collar).. Absolutely no regrets
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:49 pm

TT pro 100

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:41 am

I'm in the process of figuring out what collar I want to upgrade to and based off my research and what I'm looking for I've boiled it down to TriTronics Pro 100 and Dogtra 2500 T&B (or 2000 T&B used.) I think the TT has a better ecollar system with easy ability to jump stim levels with just a press of the button, but the Dogtra beeper system is hard to beat. Everything is remote operated including changing the beep modes, which isn't true for the TT (TT beeper allows you to turn beeper on/off remotely and has a locate function but to change modes you have to do it inside the battery pack.) However, Dogtra has gotten a lot of poor responses to the new 2500 beeper because it is located in the front of the collar which would be pointing at the bird (which is why I was also considering a used 2000 model.) Some people haven't noticed this to be a problem. Personally I value the ease of jumping stim levels more than being able to change beeper modes through the transmitter so I'll probably go the TT Pro 100 route. Good luck

MTR

Post by MTR » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:15 am

I have had great luck for with TT. I had a Pro100 for my first season and traded it for a 500. I really like the ability to choose from 3 different levels of stim right there and now. By keeping the control on 2, I can give a low stim to get him to obey a command, or if he starts chasing trash I can give him a 2 high right then without fumbling for knob to jump the intensity up.

The only reason that I traded to the 500 was I was using a steadying method that used nicks (momentary stimulation). After collar breaking the dog, using a continuous stimulation, I hunted the first season from 8-12months. After starting the steadying method that used the nicks, I thought that I would just use a quick push of the continuous buttons to deliver the nick. I wanted to do this because I wanted more levels of nick than that could be picked from the pro100 (only 6 momentary available). I started to notice when I just quickly pushed the continuous button on the transmitter, I would get different response than the monetary stim button. I tested the collar and sure enough, the continuous stim (even if just pushed for a quick pulse and released trying to be a poor mans "monetary or nick") is VERY different feeling that the actual momentary stim that is received. I read on TT web page that there is a different method used in creating the two stims at the collar. I thought about going to the pro200 and trading with a training partner, but also wanted the 18 levels of continuous for force fetch (the whole reason I went with the 100 in the first place!) So, I think overall it was my dogs reaction to a fast button push of the continuous stim combined with the steadying method I was shown that resulted in me going to the 500.

I also have the new g3 beeper. You set the point mode (hawk vs. beep) or silent vs single, double, triple beeps, from a going through button pushes on the outside of the unit. There is no need to enter the battery compartment, and actually there are no switches or buttons to access in there - there is just the single rubber button on the outside/top of the unit that you cycle through to change modes.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:45 am

MTR wrote: I also have the new g3 beeper. You set the point mode (hawk vs. beep) or silent vs single, double, triple beeps, from a going through button pushes on the outside of the unit. There is no need to enter the battery compartment, and actually there are no switches or buttons to access in there - there is just the single rubber button on the outside/top of the unit that you cycle through to change modes.
That sounds a lot better. I think I was reading about the old TT beeper

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:32 pm

how about the tri tronnics pro 200 g3 expandable compared to the pro 100 any body got a 200 same price which is better

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:41 pm

I use the pro 200 two dog model. If you use the flank collar training method you can run both on the same dog with only one reciever. Or, if you need to you can run two dogs.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:48 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:how about the tri tronnics pro 200 g3 expandable compared to the pro 100 any body got a 200 same price which is better
The only difference between a TT Flyway and the Pro 200 is the Pro 200 has a chrome buckle instead of a black powder coated one, the Pro 200 costs like $30 more.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Pro100 has 18 levels of continuous stim and 6 levels of momentary, where as the Pro200 is the opposite with 18 levels of momentary stim and 6 of momentary. With both collars the setting that has 6 levels of stim does not have the capability to jump stim levels at the push of a button. So, if you are going the force fetch route or if you think you'd use other training methods that use continuous stim I'd go with the Pro100

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:47 pm

what do you guys think about the DT 1850 h20 trainer beeper i'm still looking for the best collar for me

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Nothing but there's a really good deal on one in the bst forum

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:what do you guys think about the DT 1850 h20 trainer beeper i'm still looking for the best collar for me
sorry it should say guys and gals

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Thank you :)

I've used Tritronics and been happy with them, but based on a recommendation I switched to a Dogtra 2500 T/B ( Google). It is the best system I have used.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:20 pm

well iv'e still havnt bought a darn collar yet i just can't make up my mind i like the dt system 1850 T&B but there could be a sizing problem but all them features,expandable and beeper, for the price its hard to beat, if it works well,its been said dt will re size it. i also like the dogtra 2500 but the way i see it ,the only way its expandable is if you buy the two dog unit up front and from what i've read the transsmitter doen't like the cold it gets cold in minnesota! or the tt pro 100 i think is a safe bet but with a beeper kind of pricey

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:16 pm

I use the Dogtra 2500 T/B and can assure that the transmitter is not affected by the cold. I live in Ontario where it is plenty cold 5 months of the year.

terrym

Post by terrym » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:25 pm

I have a TT Sport Basic and have recently seen the Dogtra 2500 T&B in action and am considering switching. FAr more versatile and seems to have very happy users.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:24 pm

I like the Pro 100 myself...I can control what I need when I need it ...I disliked the 500 because the extra toggle switch was in my way and I can control the momentary and the continuous as needed with my fingers press and hold or press and release :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:16 am

viewtopic.php?f=112&t=35227#p332377

This one is over in the for sale section. I have the same but just the single dog unit. Quality stuff. Not USA though. There's lot of good stuff out there with the exception of petsafe and sportdog.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:20 am

is that right that the only way to expand the dogtra 2500 t & B is to buy the two dog unit up front? because i like to be able to add a dog some day and not have to buy a new system :?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Yes that is right.
See " note" at the bottom of the link.

http://www.petsandbeyond.com/dogtra-250 ... ollar.html

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:43 pm

i ordered a tri tronics pro 100 it has everything i wanted, and i like the remote setup the best also, just got to buy a beeper. if the dogtra 2500 t&b was expandable i would have went with it, i also like the dt systems 1850 but was unsure about sizing and the remote layout i was unsure of. thank for all your input it help me alot!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:20 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:i ordered a tri tronics pro 100 it has everything i wanted, and i like the remote setup the best also, just got to buy a beeper. if the dogtra 2500 t&b was expandable i would have went with it, i also like the dt systems 1850 but was unsure about sizing and the remote layout i was unsure of. thank for all your input it help me alot!
I think you will be happy with it. I have the pro 100 and love it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way