Closed Breed Field Trials

original mngsp

Closed Breed Field Trials

Post by original mngsp » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:31 am

I pretty much understand and accept the fact the closed breed trials exist. But this one seems pretty stupid to me. Looks pretty much like a "anything but a GSP" FT. Closing to Gordon Setters only or even a Setter only FT works for me but I just dont get this. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

http://www.akc.org/events/search/index_ ... ed_breed=N

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Closed Breed Field Trials

Post by ultracarry » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:05 am

Yes sir... I would get a setter only trial, vizsla only, weim only, etc but that shows you they don't think the dogs will be able to compete against pointers or GSP's. That's pretty bad.....

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:10 am

Chris....I don't put much faith in the AKC online event processing..select a box here or there and lord only knows how it translates on the AKC event search.

I had heard they were going to open some of the stakes to all breed after the last couple of years of setters only. I've told them that in order to attract judges they need to offer something for a judge to also run a dog in. I'd guess you'll see a juvenile stake open to all, and the other setters only. And the OLGD probably will be open as well.

I'll probably attend this year...but that date can be hot as a blister.
Dan

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks Dan. I'll chalk it up to the online application process at this point.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:14 am

I dunno. I've seen clubs do that before and it was because they did not want a "certain crowd" there. I think it speaks volumes about their intentions. I've seen representatives from each breed capable of competing with any of the other breeds. It really is a shame.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:04 am

We have one limited stake in our club. A fellow breeds fine Gordon Setters and we want to accomodate he and his friends. It is not a big deal to us.

PS Can't imagine a "setters only stake". If a E. setter can't compete with a pointer he needs to retire.
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Just one question for the folks who close their stakes - If you put on your trialfor just your breed - how does that help your breed? If you just compete amongst yourselves, how does that make a better britt or a better weim or a better anything? Just curious.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:35 pm

I think closed breeds do good for a specific breed like a vizsla, Britt, gsp, etc. When you allow multiple breeds and exclude some because they won all of the events the previous year... No other breeds placed, no club members placed, etc.

Its the way people think now. "Why doesn't my kid get to start?" " why doesn't my kid get a trophy?" Maybe because your kid isn't as good as the rest? Maybe you don't set yours up to succeed? Maybe that's just not thier sport.... Too many people want to be fair and hold those better as the reason why they don't succeed.

You should have saw how PO'd one guy was when my dog beat his in a Derby stake lol then a month later it was someone different who my dog won against in another puppy and Derby. A lot of people want something for nothing.

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Some people really, truly, believe the breeds to be different.
Dan

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:55 pm

to some extent I agree with ultra....

If you are looking to produce a better brittany why does it have to prove its self against another breed? Shouldnt a better Brittany only be better than the best brittany?

I think closed trials are fine, most people who choose a specific breed choose it for its cheracteristics not because it hunts like something else. And when you figure a breed specific club such as a britt or GSP club If they can draw enough dogs to have a full trial without opening to other breeds than I say have at it. After all whats the point in having a breed club if your gona turn away your members so I can show up with my dog.

Now I am as guilty as everyone els in that I want my GSPs to run with EP, and ES, But I am not of the opinion that the only way a GSP can help to improve the breed is by beating out other breeds.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:12 pm

I dont understand closing trials either unless its a specific breed championship but weekend trials should be open to all breeds. If I was looking for a breed of dog and went to an open trial I could see just how different breeds compete and judge for myself what I like between them. Bitttney and Visla clubs are usually the ones that close thier trials in my area and I dont know why because thier are some very nice dogs in each breed that can compete with other breeds. Now if your a club that wants a small trial and thats why you do it thats one thing and I can understand that. If you really want to showcase your dog then do it against the best of all breeds, that stands out more than anything. I respect all those clubs that open it up to all breeds and invite all to come and compete against the best.
Jerry Alden

2X NGDC/GFC/FC Clk's Point Me The Way ( Allie ) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2765

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:50 pm

One has to face the fact that in small clubs some people place all the time and some people never place and eventually disappear. Thay's the way competition is . If you don't want competition one should participate in tests.

One judge decided to do his part. He gave #1 placement to a certain dog . When questioned he said , "Well. That guy never wins. ". :?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:54 pm

And I hope that's the last time he judged.....

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:00 pm

Buckeye_V wrote:Just one question for the folks who close their stakes - If you put on your trialfor just your breed - how does that help your breed? If you just compete amongst yourselves, how does that make a better britt or a better weim or a better anything? Just curious.
I recall having an interesting discussion years ago about this very topic, and I felt that not allowing competition held back certain breeds, but in talking one day with an old timer he pointed out that closing stakes for some breeds does help the breed, by identifying the best of that breed it would help promote that line, where if the stakes were all open you would never know which of the minority breed were GOOD or close to the winners because they never mention the also rans. Now I feel that closing EVERY stake is not necessary but closing a few in each event does some good.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:15 pm

I don't really have a problem if a trial or a stake is closed to one breed, or in the case of setters, the several recognized variations. I would not have a problem with a trial or stake being "continentals only" or "German pointers only".

I do happen to believe as was previously stated, that if you really want to see which of breed X is the best on that day, then you really need to compete against breed X. Different breeds do in fact each "do it a little different" and it can be good to compare apples to apples.

I can also very much understand why some AKC clubs may not want FDSB bred pointers at their trials, especially in "Gun Dog" stakes. The tendency of FDSB pointers to fill up the country may not be the best example of what the AKC Gun Dog should be, but it can be hard for some judges not to reward such performances. In some areas, the GSP's that are trialing can do pretty much everything a pointer can do, so I suppose those kinds of GSP's might not be welcome at some trials either.

But when you start to pick and choose which breeds, excluding some here and others there...one has to wonder just what is going on.

I run pointers, and if any breed is going to get excluded...mine is generally on the top of that list. That is usually not a problem for me because there is an AF or US Complete trial going on somewhere close by also. The dogs don't care which organization sanctions the trial and neither do I.

RayG

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:34 pm

As a Llewellin breeder I take advantage of the closed breed Llewellin trials. Although it usually requires a lengthy road trip I can look at a lot of potential breeding stock in one place at one time.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:47 pm

I actually think its bad from another perspective, if you want to improve as a handler or a dog trainer you need to see how its done in other circles, how can you improve if you dont compete against others who are better at the game and see what they do? I think there is a lot to be learned from the strong competitors in all breeds. There is nothing to be gained by having a myopic view about the other breeds. I have taken the position that if its a closed trial, I would not accept a judging assignment if asked. I would encourage other to consider the same position.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:59 pm

i have it on good authority that this trial is an isolated incident. they could not include GSP's due to a barking ordinance.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:28 pm

This has happens all the time. I posted here a long time ago "RUN WHAT'CHA BRUNG" should be the way it is. The true national championship is the one at Ames. It has only been won by English Setters and English pointers since the late 1800 's. The AKC national held at Ames a couple short weeks after the real national. with the top champions of all AKc breeds resulted in another English pointer beating out two gsps and a britt that all looked like they had a whole lotta EP bred into them. But obviously not enough ep to win. And this was a one hour brace with many akc chamions being picked up due to exhaustion. Not the 3 hours the real champions run at the same grounds. The comment about not wanting pointers at the closed breed events beacause they run big. Look at it this way if they ran so big they would be docked for going past the course boundary and would not be a threat. All i can say is it is amazing how loud the cries are now that the tables have turned. Dont get me wrong either I dont want everyone to own a EP or an ES the wild bird populations are down as it is. Game farms and preserves depend on other breeds to earn a living by letting them chase libbies.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:33 pm

gotpointers wrote:This has happens all the time. I posted here a long time ago "RUN WHAT'CHA BRUNG" should be the way it is. The true national championship is the one at Ames. It has only been won by English Setters and English pointers since the late 1800 's. The AKC national held at Ames a couple short weeks after the real national. with the top champions of all AKc breeds resulted in another English pointer beating out two gsps and a britt that all looked like they had a whole lotta EP bred into them. But obviously not enough ep to win. And this was a one hour brace with many akc chamions being picked up due to exhaustion. Not the 3 hours the real champions run at the same grounds. The comment about not wanting pointers at the closed breed events beacause they run big. Look at it this way if they ran so big they would be docked for going past the course boundary and would not be a threat. All i can say is it is amazing how loud the cries are now that the tables have turned. Dont get me wrong either I dont want everyone to own a EP or an ES the wild bird populations are down as it is. Game farms and preserves depend on other breeds to earn a living by letting them chase libbies.
Wow, my quip while unproductive simply offended and attacked the GSP group, I expect swift and comprehensive retaliation...but Got Pointers...my word, you just launshed a scud over the remainder of dogdom.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Chukar12 wrote:
gotpointers wrote:This has happens all the time. I posted here a long time ago "RUN WHAT'CHA BRUNG" should be the way it is. The true national championship is the one at Ames. It has only been won by English Setters and English pointers since the late 1800 's. The AKC national held at Ames a couple short weeks after the real national. with the top champions of all AKc breeds resulted in another English pointer beating out two gsps and a britt that all looked like they had a whole lotta EP bred into them. But obviously not enough ep to win. And this was a one hour brace with many akc chamions being picked up due to exhaustion. Not the 3 hours the real champions run at the same grounds. The comment about not wanting pointers at the closed breed events beacause they run big. Look at it this way if they ran so big they would be docked for going past the course boundary and would not be a threat. All i can say is it is amazing how loud the cries are now that the tables have turned. Dont get me wrong either I dont want everyone to own a EP or an ES the wild bird populations are down as it is. Game farms and preserves depend on other breeds to earn a living by letting them chase libbies.
Wow, my quip while unproductive simply offended and attacked the GSP group, I expect swift and comprehensive retaliation...but Got Pointers...my word, you just launshed a scud over the remainder of dogdom.
Sorry, just frustrated about a lot of stuff. Nothing personal. Every one has their own style. I respect that.
I just felt i witnessed a "Its all fun and games until its me" I apoligize to the others i may offend.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:03 pm

I didnt take offense...in seriousness I understand the need for breed clubs to "close out" trials for a lot of reasons that are good for their particular breed...IF...that breed is well supported they have that luxury. I enter AF/AFTCA formats infrequently today but intend to at a greater rate in the future. They are usually competitive trials with very learned judges,,,and frankly, I expect to fight an uphill battle...because in THAT format...THat game...Those standards my Briitany has to be at the very top of his game to compete, and its likely that there will be pointers and or setters on the ground with better natural physical gifts that make it longer odds. Gotpointers, you will get no argument from me...in that game the pointer is king

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:17 pm

:roll:

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Brad, what's your rollie eyed thing for? I am gonna part ways with anybody and everybody on the argument over which breed is best suited for a hunting dog, its too diverse and subjective...but as much as it pains me, in the horseback field trial game especially to all age standards the pointer deserves his due. Or wait, are you mad about the GSP barking deal...I was just kidding

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Chukar12 wrote:Brad, what's your rollie eyed thing for? I am gonna part ways with anybody and everybody on the argument over which breed is best suited for a hunting dog, its too diverse and subjective...but as much as it pains me, in the horseback field trial game especially to all age standards the pointer deserves his due. Or wait, are you mad about the GSP barking deal...I was just kidding
Joe, the roll eyes wasn't directed at you. I knew you were kidding about the barking thing. I was trying to think of something to say about britts, but couldn't come up with anything quick enough. They were directed at gotpointers. While I agree that the EP is at the top of the FT game there is no need to say the things he did.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:36 pm

...dont cheat me on the Britt thing, take your time :D
and hamster is way over used

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:19 pm

Why doesn't someone just call the Secretary and and her why it excludes certain breeds?
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:40 pm

About the only reason I can think of to exclude Brittanys is because of the enourmous holes that they have been known to dig. I know they have a front end loader available after most of the Britt trials hereabouts.

Now THAT should get some poison darts flying. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

BTW...I AM kidding...sort of.

RayG

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Chukar12 wrote:i have it on good authority that this trial is an isolated incident. they could not include GSP's due to a barking ordinance.
Like usual you almost got it right but it really was because they didn't want any whiners. :lol:

P.S. The pun works several ways. :mrgreen:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:42 pm

If I am not mistaken Dan made a great post on this very topic that was discussed on a different thread some time ago.

I guess what has to be answered on an individual basis is do you believe that all breeds should be judged the same on all criteria in the same way. Many people seem to believe that the AA pointer is "the" top of the FT world, so...... do you believe all Britts, GSPs, GWPs, whatever breed, should be judged to the same standards? Apparently many people believe this to be the case and thus you see many breeds looking more and more like pointers, either through selective breeding or cross breeding.

No right or wrong, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:52 pm

In this particular instance you might check to see which pros (& less likely which amateurs) routinely dominate that trial to see if someone's "overwhelming" participation is being discouraged.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:13 pm

Coop, you are the first one to come close to the right answer. Pointers are the top f the FT world if you judge all breeds to the pointer standard. As I have said before I have no desire to see a Britt hunt like a pointer. If I want that I would own another pointer. But the real reason many of the Britt trials have been closed is there were more Britts than they could run in a weekend. In the parts of the country where their numbers are down you will note the trials have been opened back up. It is fun to run against other breeds but if you want to see the best Britts then the closed trials are the way to go. Some of each should work for everyone.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Why doesn't someone just call the Secretary and and her why it excludes certain breeds?
Why should it matter? You can either support the club with an entry or not. It is as simple as that. At the end of the day, I don't think there is a member of the club in question that even FT's a dog. So people can go right ahead and make a big deal of it. It probably would result in one less FT for people to go to....they don't volunteer to get kicked in the teeth.
Dan

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Chukar12 wrote:...dont cheat me on the Britt thing, take your time :D
and hamster is way over used
Nope, can't do it. If i don't think of it right away it feels coerced. Don't worry though, I'll suprize you when you're not expecting it. :D

Vision

Post by Vision » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Chukar12 wrote:i have it on good authority that this trial is an isolated incident. they could not include GSP's due to a barking ordinance.

I've been away since 96' have they been breeding Vizsla's to Shorthair's too?

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Have seen a few trials around here that close the Am Walking stakes. I don't see an issue with that. They leave the open stakes as just that open. I am not sure about the rest of the country but we seem to have a lot of brits up here that have that " See you later dad. I will be the one on point when you get to the other side." I am pretty sure that there was a Shorthair trial at the setter club not to long ago that a brit won the all age, and Kona took second to a brit in the puppy event. So, be it. Glad to see the little devils fighting their way to the front.

My problem is, if your going to open your trial don't give people "bleep" about showing up with a setter, pointer, or GSP that rip up the country side. I have been asked on a couple of occasions why I choose to run AKC and not AF. I run both. If I go to the AKC website and search events and your event or your clubs event says " Open to all pointing breeds" and you don't want my pointer or those big running shorthairs to show up, then you need to talk to your club not me. I say let em close the trials if they see fit, but then again we have several places out here to run. It might be different in the Midwest. The gas prices seem to creep daily. If this was an error when setting up this particular trial then fine, but if not then your making it pretty clear where you stand.

I have been told a few times that my dog will piss a few people off if I keep running her in AKC, but I promise to only put her in the events labeled " Open to all pointing breeds". That is until she stops pointing.

Joe

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:10 am

Just open them all and have judges judge to the breed standard of the club :) Duh

That's what happens a lot of times anyways.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:20 am

Go to a Gordon Setter trial with a gordon setter judging panel and get a participation ribbon :P :P

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 am

Bet you guys are the ones that complain when a store doesn't sell what you think they should. Always seemed to me in a free society the businesses could sell what they want and I as a customer could find the store that sells what I need without telling anyone what they should and shouldn't sell.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:22 am

It's interesting how people even post on something they don't even participate in....... I didn't see this as a breeder topic or junior hunter topic. It is a closed breed trial. If you don't have any expierence In trialing (as in participation more than once in the last decade) I don't see how you would be effected.

Chukar.... The reason why they limit the entries to Brittany only is because some judges like style :D

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:27 am

ultracarry wrote:Chukar.... The reason why they limit the entries to Brittany only is because some judges like style
Gee...thank you :oops:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:00 am

The event in question appears to be a local trial run under the national club license. Having been in that situation, the club is probably fulfilling AKC licensing requirements and trying to avoid the expense and labor of a full blown dog and pony (literally) show. Best way to do that is exclude the major pro handled breed. I don't know if you have to exclude more than one breed, but since two are excluded, that may be the case. We do not offer retrieving stakes at our club trials and certain breeds don't like it. Too bad, so sad. It saves us bird cost and manpower cost.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 am

IMO, closed trials are bad for the sport of field trialing. With the price of fuel at $4.00/gal, I had to choose between sitting at home or spending $200-300 to drive past 2 closed trials to find a trial that would accept my chosen breed.

When I am called to judge a trial, the first question I ask is whether I will be able to run a dog in a stake or two. I have a hard time accepting the assignment when they tell me that it is a closed trial. The excuse many of the clubs use for closing their trial is that if they allow the other breeds, they would not be able to run their own dogs in their own trial. I have always called "BS" on that statement because the club members should be able to have their entries in early, and these same trials have more stakes than they really need. I've seen very few dogs that need to be run four times in a weekend (OP, AWP, OD, AWD, or OGD, OLGD, AGD, ALGD, OAA, AAA); I've judged a few of these trials, and by the end of the weekend it looks like they are throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks.

Open trials will not only make the dogs better, they will make the handlers and judges better by letting them see what is out there in the real world. There is a reason that the Amish have their own schools...
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:39 am

So you are saying every breed but yours is the real world? I see nothing wrong with a club doing whatever they find that works for them. I know with our local Brittany Club we fill up before we even can accomadate all of the Britts. But we also have members that run in AF and other trials when they can. So in reality I think everyone runs in what they want and if the numbers start going down I am sure we will open the trial up to other breeds since a lot of the members enjoy running against whoever. But we just need longer weekends if we are going to run all of the dogs in the area.

Ezzy

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:51 pm

As stated in my previous post I take advantage of closed breed Llewellin trials to evaluate future breeding stock. I run a lot more NSTRA but rarely see another Llewellin at those trials. Nothing wrong with any trial if it works for the club.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:44 pm

You know its funny Ezzy. A can go to a full Britt trial and I can go to a full all-breed trial. I rarely see a britt at an all breed trial. I see all of the other breeds though. ALL of them.

I've been to some awfully small brittany trials where the club members were poo-pooing the fact the entry was so low. Crying in their beer kinda thing. You know? All I said was, hey guys - if you opened your stakes you would be full and not LOSING money. They said, but we don't want to compete against you guys because you take all of our ribbons.

Sounds more like to me they want to take their toy and go home.

The trials we run for the Vizsla clubs up here don't cater to vizslas. They cater to anyone who wants to enter. Just bring a very good dog if you want to podium finish. I don't believe in gimme's or participation ribbons. That stuff sucks.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:53 pm

wannabe wrote:IMO, closed trials are bad for the sport of field trialing. With the price of fuel at $4.00/gal, I had to choose between sitting at home or spending $200-300 to drive past 2 closed trials to find a trial that would accept my chosen breed.

When I am called to judge a trial, the first question I ask is whether I will be able to run a dog in a stake or two. I have a hard time accepting the assignment when they tell me that it is a closed trial. The excuse many of the clubs use for closing their trial is that if they allow the other breeds, they would not be able to run their own dogs in their own trial. I have always called "BS" on that statement because the club members should be able to have their entries in early, and these same trials have more stakes than they really need. I've seen very few dogs that need to be run four times in a weekend (OP, AWP, OD, AWD, or OGD, OLGD, AGD, ALGD, OAA, AAA); I've judged a few of these trials, and by the end of the weekend it looks like they are throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks.

Open trials will not only make the dogs better, they will make the handlers and judges better by letting them see what is out there in the real world. There is a reason that the Amish have their own schools...
+1

Doug

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Buckeye.... Don't kid yourself. Many of those same Brit people you are talking about don't like it when Brittany Pros show up with there strings either. IMO that's the problem with pushing the dual dog concept so hard. An FC is still an FC even if it ran against junk competition. Heck, I'd love them to make a 1 hr placement a requirement for an FC. But they are trying to make it easier to get a FC, not tougher. But then again, I think in order to win a show dog title a dog should have to compete against the best show dogs as well. I hate to see a watered down FC title.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:29 pm

This is the AKC all breed gun dog championship. You can scroll down and see the palcements dating back to 1994...it will give you a fair view of how the breeds stack up against each other in even competition...some are far more prevelant or consistent than others...and of course popularity takes a hand as well.
The latter statement is one of the reasons its so loud in camp...

http://www.akc.org/events/field_trials/ ... f_fame.cfm

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Chukar stop crying about loosing sleep to GSP's in camp :D .... I bet they also know Brittanys are used to getting a full night sleep and some treats when they have to brave the cold to go to the bathroom. Shorthairs can smell weakness from a mile away and they thrive on it. Ever wonder why people carry those britts on a saddle instead of roading them back to camp. Prob because they don't want to hurt the dogs feelings because they (the dog) expierenced a little sleep deprivation the night before and don't want the dog to have a sour taste and run back to the motorhome the next time they are at the line. :P

Btw all club members know of a trial before people see it on the AKC website. Assuming usually is a bad thing but dontcha think they would get there forms submitted before someone who waits for the AKC posting? If club members fill it first have a waiting list for outsiders.... Then again it makes to much pennies.....