bark, yard, and e training

ibbowhunting

bark, yard, and e training

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:42 pm

well i ordered a tri tronics pro 100 the other day i'm thinking i may need a bark collar she starting to bark at or house dog when their fighing over chew toys and when people walk by. trying to correct the barking in a timely manner so she know what i'm trying to tell her is my problem do bark collars work? if so should i buy a cheap one or are the more spendy ones better? can my other dogs bark set the collar off? i also have a pet containment system that i've got before we got our britt how well do they work?i guess i'm wondering if useing either our E fence and or a bark collar may help or hurt before or after e collar intro.any tips on stopping barking without a bark collar may help

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: bark, yard, and e training

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:26 pm

You've ordered a great tool. I wouldn't worry about buying anything else., for now.Watch the dog outside. Soon as he barks correct him. It shouldn't take too many repetitions. Dogs have to have fun too. I let mine mine bark when they are playing.
I've used a bark collar on the terrier but found it just too sensitive. The dog was getting a correction when he swallowed. If you buy one buy one that has levels to adjust. Now I use it on the terrier with no battery in it. Does the job. :)
Last edited by Sharon on Tue May 01, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Tue May 01, 2012 5:11 am

Bark collars work great. Using the shock collar works too, but you have to be there EVERY time they bark... the bark collar can be, you likely cannot.

Ours cannot tell the difference between the collars now, and our oldest ate the bark collar (someone left it on him for several days)... anyway, while we rebuild the collar, we put the shock collar on him, and we have silence again.

Barking while playing = not a big deal... barking at passers by, is a pain, and something we don't like much either. Either way, the bark collar would fix both.

Cute pup in the avatar (reminds me of someone)... Pup needs to be well over 6 months (opinion) for a shock collar, or bark collar. Well, they need to be able to understand what the shock means.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 am

I don't agree that bark collars are great. In my job I encounter many dogs every month many with bark collars. I'd guess the effectiveness at around 50% on the dogs I see. Admittedly most of the problem is probably improper introduction or use of the collars but I have seen dogs bark right throught them while in obvious pain from the shock and I have seen some dogs turn into a bowl of jello from the collar.

I put them in the class that they "can" work but if you are not seeing results within a reasonable time or are seeing detrimental behavior because of them quit using them ASAP.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 01, 2012 12:04 pm

x2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Tue May 01, 2012 12:58 pm

IMO Any e collar needs to be used correctly, it is a tool not a selution.

9 out 10 when they purchase a collar they lost the fight or they out of answers and use them WRONG ! :mrgreen:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue May 01, 2012 1:24 pm

I am still trying to figure out how you are coming up with these numbers. :roll:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue May 01, 2012 8:41 pm

i havn't lost my temper with the barking i just think its time to start controling it, just how, because no doen't seem to work. its crossed my mind to try a spray bottle just squirt her with it, like they do with cats but i think she may just like that :lol: any other good ideas i think timing the correction is my biggest problem so she knows what she done wrong thats where a bark collar or ecollar would help as it happens so the dog gets it, if not she won't know what she doing wrong. nobody has a under ground fence?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed May 02, 2012 7:56 pm

Just wondering, what an undergroud fence would have to do with it?

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 02, 2012 8:11 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:i havn't lost my temper with the barking i just think its time to start controling it, just how, because no doen't seem to work. its crossed my mind to try a spray bottle just squirt her with it, like they do with cats but i think she may just like that :lol: any other good ideas i think timing the correction is my biggest problem so she knows what she done wrong thats where a bark collar or ecollar would help as it happens so the dog gets it, if not she won't know what she doing wrong. nobody has a under ground fence?
Squirting or spraying dogs with water is usually pretty effective. Folks with a larger number of dogs in outside kennels often spray water into the kennels when it gets too noisy.

Your 2nd question about underground fences - I know folks that have them & they've worked well. Others have had their dogs run right through the correction with the proper motivation, like chasing after a rabbit or deer. Fences are more fool proof but of course some dogs will climb over or dig under. A stout kennel with a concrete floor & proper cover is about the most outdoor security you can get.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Thu May 03, 2012 12:37 pm

birddogger wrote:I am still trying to figure out how you are coming up with these numbers. :roll:

Charlie
What I mean when most people buy a e collar they dont no how to use it, and random use doesn't work consistancy is needed.

The numbers is a figure of speech. :wink: