In the house

BHC

In the house

Post by BHC » Wed May 09, 2012 10:31 pm

How are GSPs in the house? Compared to labs or any other dogs.. I jus have experience with labs.. Really wanting to know what to expect... Crazy hyper?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: In the house

Post by ultracarry » Wed May 09, 2012 11:49 pm

They will be what you let them turn into. Mine would rather sleep on the couch than do anything else. Crate train is a must.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu May 10, 2012 6:58 am

ultracarry wrote:They will be what you let them turn into. Mine would rather sleep on the couch than do anything else. Crate train is a must.
They also shed constently and tend to like to pack human clothing around(socks, shoes, underwear, etc.)

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu May 10, 2012 7:08 am

ultracarry wrote:They will be what you let them turn into. Mine would rather sleep on the couch than do anything else. Crate train is a must.
I agree, crate training is a must, and don't let them be wild in the house. Retrieve is better left outside.

KyCountry

Post by KyCountry » Thu May 10, 2012 9:10 am

+1 on the clothing. There are socks and shirts thrown all across my house. Chewing wise, just like a lab. Anything and everything.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu May 10, 2012 9:38 am

I would have to agree with the clothing... She will throw socks in the air and catch them (very funny). Drag a sweater out of the room and use it as a blanket on the couch. I occasionally will let her chew up some of my wifes shoes (i encourage it) to thin the heard but Coach shoes are always off limits.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu May 10, 2012 9:56 am

Mine also steals clothes and shoes. It's not so much to destroy them as he wants to lie down with them in his mouth. Weird. Socks were a huge problem so I make sure no sock is ever left out considering it could amount to a hefty vet bill. (Keep peroxide on hand in case to induce vomiting). I find that even after exercise he is busy. Last night he had a 2 hour run/dig/hunt session and 1.5 hrs at obedience class. At 10:00pm, he was still active and we had 2 shoe incidents.

Crate training is necessary. Mine stays in his ex-pen (like a 4'x4'x4' wire crate with a top), during the day. I can't imagine what he would do if he was loose and I wasn't home.

My best friend has his littermate. She is a perfect angel in the house. No issues.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu May 10, 2012 11:53 am

ultracarry wrote:They will be what you let them turn into.
Truer words were never spoken. It's half genetic and half environment. If you take almost any field-bred dog and put them in a studio apartment and they never get out, they're going to go nuts and drive you nuts. If you make sure they get enough exercise and you make sure they know you're the boss, no worries. I have a Setter and two Pointers (and I'm sure you've heard the stereotype obout Pointers not being house dogs :roll: ) that are inside half the time and outside half the time. They do just fine and everyone loves them. They're as much a pleasure in the house as any Shorthair I've had in the past 10 years.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu May 10, 2012 12:04 pm

If you are used to a lab in the house then a GSP wont be a huge adjustment. not quite as much tail to clear the coffee table, and a little bit different hair on everything, but as far as energy goes, my lab and GSP were very similar house mates. they would park on the couch and watch football with me or they would lay on their beds.

They will only do as much as you let them get away with. I also Agree that crate training is a must.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 10, 2012 3:19 pm

I've had 2 in the house over the years. No problem as long as they got enough exercise - not a walk to the corner but a 40+ minute off leash run every second day.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Thu May 10, 2012 5:05 pm

You will get the behavior you allow. If you make it clear that you expect them to behave, they will comply.... just like children... and just like children, if you allow them to be houligans they will reduce your house to shambles.

steamer

Post by steamer » Thu May 10, 2012 5:08 pm

this post is funny. i thought my bob tail was the only one with the panty fetish :oops: its not to big of a deal till there is company over and he comes prancing by with some pink lacey thing wraped around his head. mine isnt to, bad run off leash 4 to 5 times a week an hour or so and training mixed in. he is crate trained and not left unsupervised in the house. we dont hawk him down but if hes not sleeping on the couch or in his chair and its quiet then we start looking because hes probably doing something he shouldnt be. exercise good advise and a pinch collar helped a lot in him knowing his place in the pecking order. good luck everybody should own a short hair once in there life.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:43 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:If you are used to a lab in the house then a GSP wont be a huge adjustment. not quite as much tail to clear the coffee table, and a little bit different hair on everything, but as far as energy goes, my lab and GSP were very similar house mates. they would park on the couch and watch football with me or they would lay on their beds.

They will only do as much as you let them get away with. I also Agree that crate training is a must.

Jim
+ 1 on the table clearing trick. Ours stay in the house but know their place. Its just a matter of training like anything else.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu May 10, 2012 7:33 pm

BHC wrote:How are GSPs in the house? Compared to labs or any other dogs.. I jus have experience with labs.. Really wanting to know what to expect... Crazy hyper?
There are as many personalities in GSPs as there are in any other gundog breed. Young or untrained dogs of any breed can exhibit unwanted behaviors. Generally with all gundogs the more freedom & exercise they get out of the house, the calmer they are inside. Countless competition gundogs run off horseback are the calmest, sweetest companions you could ever imagine in the house.

Sorry, there's nothing anyone can say that's truly unique to GSP behaviors that you absolutely can't or won't find in other gundog breeds.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Mon May 14, 2012 8:05 pm

I would say not the chewers that labs are. I'll take my 3 GSP's over 1 lab in the house any day just my 2 cents.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon May 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Stealing socks must be a GSP thing. Our 3 older gsps can be left loose in the house all the time. Our five month old is crated when we leave.

SuperCracker

Post by SuperCracker » Tue May 15, 2012 6:44 am

mine live sin the house and he is fine. He had a chewing stage when he was a puppy, now he just lies on the couch and chills. Occasionally he will go get a toy and come peck you with it trying to get you to play. But for the most part he's just fine.

I don't think he's ever eaten a sock or shoe.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Tue May 15, 2012 4:33 pm

What I have found out is that for the most part my GSP has been really good in the house. She does shed, however I am a bit of a neat freak so I control that. Funny how they do like to steal socks and underwear for what ever reason. Doing the right things in the beginning sure has helped i'm sure. Totally agree with crate training absolute must. these dogs are very smart so mental challenge doesn't hurt either. I also love taking her out to play chuck-it or fetch or just going for off leash walks a few times a week. I believe these things contribute to well behaved pooch. I do have a kennel attached to the garage that she spends a few hours a day in, but for the most part a well behaved house dog. I do wonder if females behave better than males. I have no background to confirm though.