Wound care and honey

jlp8cornell

Wound care and honey

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon May 14, 2012 1:58 pm

I was wondering if anyone has used honey in caring for wounds. It's an anti-bacterial/antimicrobial agent. I used it when one of my dogs had an infection on the suture line of a surgery. It worked nicely. I know some of the vets around ere are using it more in wound care.

Just curious if anyone had any experience using it.....

Coveyrise64

Re: Wound care and honey

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:40 pm

I use emt gel and in some cases neopredef powder.

cr
jlp8cornell wrote:I was wondering if anyone has used honey in caring for wounds. It's an anti-bacterial/antimicrobial agent. I used it when one of my dogs had an infection on the suture line of a surgery. It worked nicely. I know some of the vets around ere are using it more in wound care.

VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Mr. JFH

Post by Mr. JFH » Mon May 14, 2012 3:13 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:I was wondering if anyone has used honey in caring for wounds. It's an anti-bacterial/antimicrobial agent. I used it when one of my dogs had an infection on the suture line of a surgery. It worked nicely. I know some of the vets around ere are using it more in wound care.

When I was in Afghanistan we had a dog with a nasty tail injury. We were waiting on a shipment of meds so we just used honey. It healed nice. We ended up taking the tail off and again used honey on the incision site in conjunction with Antibiotics.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon May 14, 2012 3:44 pm

I've seen good results on birds and small animals.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon May 14, 2012 3:51 pm

We used both honey and sugar (well either or) in the emergency vet clinic. Amazing! To do it right, you need to clean, debried (sp) and then pack with honey or sugar and wrap. Use cone to keep the bandage from becoming a foreign body, and change bandage, with throrough sterile water rinse and rewrap and repack daily, until new skin tissue is forming. If the would is draining or there is fluid "strike through" showing through the bandage, sometimes you have to change 2x a day.
Knowing what I know now, I had a dog that had to have a leg amputated and it could have been saved with that treatment. I'm sure of it. I don't use it for small cuts and stuff, but more for already infected wounds.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon May 14, 2012 4:30 pm

There is type of honey called Manuka Tree Honey that has been used to treat bacterial infections where nothing else works. It is approved as a drug in Australia. The stuff is supposed to stop staph infections cold.

Before WW 2 honey was used to treat wounds on the battle field.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue May 15, 2012 8:28 am

ive used sugar, but not honey. always amazes me how it works, just seems counter-intuitive.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Wed May 16, 2012 10:02 pm

I used honey to treat a pretty nasty chest wound to one of my setters. You could literally see the healing progress daily! The wound was so open you could see her chest muscles through it. The honey did the trick. It has to be unpasteurized honey.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Thu May 17, 2012 8:42 am

It does work in certain applications and makes you feel like you are practicing in the thirties, eh, dog dr?

Sorry, not sure how to change my name from Dr Tim to just Tim. Maybe someone can tell me how to do so on the forum, please.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 17, 2012 8:44 am

dr tim wrote:It does work in certain applications and makes you feel like you are practicing in the thirties, eh, dog dr?

Sorry, not sure how to change my name from Dr Tim to just Tim. Maybe someone can tell me how to do so on the forum, please.
Considering your recent Facebook posts, maybe Turtle Tim?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu May 17, 2012 9:20 am

dr tim wrote:It does work in certain applications and makes you feel like you are practicing in the thirties, eh, dog dr?
Yes! :)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu May 17, 2012 11:23 am

dog dr wrote:
Yes! :)
Well Tim would know.....

BrianKFederer

Post by BrianKFederer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:48 am

I have used A honey called "Manuka Honey" for wounds.It comes from New Zealand.It works great in healing of wounds.

fourseasons

Post by fourseasons » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:16 am

BrianKFederer wrote:I have used A honey called "Manuka Honey" for wounds.It comes from New Zealand.It works great in healing of wounds.
1+++!!! Manuka honey is batch tested for potency - the higher the number, the stronger potential. Look for 16+ Manuka honey (online, or in stores like Whole Foods) if you're looking for the highest potency.