Feeding A Brittany

joesuits4

Feeding A Brittany

Post by joesuits4 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:54 pm

I just got an 18 month old male Brittany. He currently weighs 38lbs and 21 inches tall. I plan on feeding Acana Grasslands kibble twice a day. My question is how much total kibble should I be feeding per day? Should I feed equal portions at each feeding. Example, 5 ozs morning, 5 ozs evening?

Thanks!
Joe

brad27

Re: Feeding A Brittany

Post by brad27 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:37 pm

I would start with the recommend amount on the bag and in a few weeks adjust as needed.

terrym

Post by terrym » Tue May 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Wow. I have a 21 mth old male Brittany, 21" and 42 lbs. I fed Orijen for a while but he had bad gas and loose stools. Switched over to Acana Grasslands and everything settled in perfectly, the dog is thrivig on it. He is free fed but normally eats about 2 bowls a day with 75% of consumption in the evening. He probably eats @ 2.5 cups a day. I couldn't be more satisfied with the Acana Grasslands.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Thu May 31, 2012 6:33 pm

I have 3 britts with two of them on adult food. I feed Acana Sport and Agility. My girl gets 1 3/4 to 2 cups per day depending on activity. Shes 19.5 or 20" and weighs 36lbs. My little guy is about 18.5 or so inches and weighs 32 lbs. He only gets between 11/4 to 1 1/2 cups depending on activity. If running hard in the fall with trials or hunting, he can handle up to 2 cups. Otherwise, he puts the weight on. I'm happy with Acana, although it is a more expensive food, but my dogs do exceptionally well on it, so I don't mind the extra cost.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu May 31, 2012 6:37 pm

MTO4Life wrote:I have 3 britts with two of them on adult food. I feed Acana Sport and Agility. My girl gets 1 3/4 to 2 cups per day depending on activity. Shes 19.5 or 20" and weighs 36lbs. My little guy is about 18.5 or so inches and weighs 32 lbs. He only gets between 11/4 to 1 1/2 cups depending on activity. If running hard in the fall with trials or hunting, he can handle up to 2 cups. Otherwise, he puts the weight on. I'm happy with Acana, although it is a more expensive food, but my dogs do exceptionally well on it, so I don't mind the extra cost.
We in the States can't get that Acana line because there is Milk Thistle in the food. The FDA doesn't allow that herb in any food here.

Just the GF's are available here.

philrosenbaum

Post by philrosenbaum » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:36 am

terrym wrote:Wow. I have a 21 mth old male Brittany, 21" and 42 lbs. I fed Orijen for a while but he had bad gas and loose stools. Switched over to Acana Grasslands and everything settled in perfectly, the dog is thrivig on it. He is free fed but normally eats about 2 bowls a day with 75% of consumption in the evening. He probably eats @ 2.5 cups a day. I couldn't be more satisfied with the Acana Grasslands.

Our V is doing really well on acana with some embark mixed in.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:37 am

What is Milk Thistle and what does it do or not do?
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

frontline

Post by frontline » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:35 am

mcbosco wrote:
MTO4Life wrote:I have 3 britts with two of them on adult food. I feed Acana Sport and Agility. My girl gets 1 3/4 to 2 cups per day depending on activity. Shes 19.5 or 20" and weighs 36lbs. My little guy is about 18.5 or so inches and weighs 32 lbs. He only gets between 11/4 to 1 1/2 cups depending on activity. If running hard in the fall with trials or hunting, he can handle up to 2 cups. Otherwise, he puts the weight on. I'm happy with Acana, although it is a more expensive food, but my dogs do exceptionally well on it, so I don't mind the extra cost.
We in the States can't get that Acana line because there is Milk Thistle in the food. The FDA doesn't allow that herb in any food here.

Just the GF's are available here.
This is not true, there are other botanicals in the food but no milk thistle. http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/f ... ANA-sa.pdf