JD - My Lewellin Pup - Update

Montana

JD - My Lewellin Pup - Update

Post by Montana » Tue May 29, 2012 10:30 am

JD is 16 weeks old today... He's starting to lose the puppy look and is looking more like a dog. I'm working him on pigeons 3 or 4 days/week. I've had 3 Setters in the past, but none were even close to this pup. He's locking up on point as soon as he scents a bird....sometimes he's 150 feet away or more, and he'll hold the point pretty much indefinitely. I've not timed him, but I can walk a complete circle around him and take pictures and he doesn't move a muscle. This is with no whoa training at all.. All I've done is expose him to birds.. What he's doing, he was born with. He'll glance up at me from time to time while he's on point, but he doesn't move. He would chase the pigeons after they flew the first few times, but he's now evidently learned that it is useless to do so. When the bird flies off, he'll watch it for a second or two and then go to where it was sitting. He'll smell around for a few seconds and then start hunting for another bird.. Here's a few pictures I took the other day... He's 15 1/2 weeks old in these photos.

In this photo if you look closely, the pigeon is near the orange string in the foreground.

Locked up...

Not pointing here......just lookin back at me.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: JD - My Lewellin Pup - Update

Post by Chukar12 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:34 am

VEry nice puppy...it looks like there is lots of "point" in him, I think that is my favorite trait in a young dog...it makes the rest a whole lot more fun

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Tue May 29, 2012 11:54 am

Hmmm....doesn't look like much there, but you can send it to me and i'll feed her for you and let it run around a bit and you can find a worthy dog....I'll send you my address :D

(drooling over pup)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 29, 2012 11:56 am

Montana wrote:JD is 16 weeks old today... He's starting to lose the puppy look and is looking more like a dog. I'm working him on pigeons 3 or 4 days/week. I've had 3 Setters in the past, but none were even close to this pup. He's locking up on point as soon as he scents a bird....sometimes he's 150 feet away or more, and he'll hold the point pretty much indefinitely. I've not timed him, but I can walk a complete circle around him and take pictures and he doesn't move a muscle. This is with no whoa training at all.. All I've done is expose him to birds.. What he's doing, he was born with. He'll glance up at me from time to time while he's on point, but he doesn't move. He would chase the pigeons after they flew the first few times, but he's now evidently learned that it is useless to do so. When the bird flies off, he'll watch it for a second or two and then go to where it was sitting. He'll smell around for a few seconds and then start hunting for another bird.. Here's a few pictures I took the other day... He's 15 1/2 weeks old in these photos.

In this photo if you look closely, the pigeon is near the orange string in the foreground.

Locked up...

Not pointing here......just lookin back at me.

hey , that's not fair. :) You've got it too easy. Actually my latest setter was the same. 16 weeks in the avatar.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 pm

That's a fine looking Llewellin...

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Tue May 29, 2012 2:57 pm

That is one incredible-looking pup. Love the color and her attitude really just makes you want to keep your eyes on her. Does she carry that attitude when she's away from birds, too?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Tue May 29, 2012 9:23 pm

You have a very fine looking Llew pup there. I have two Llewellins and know how much fun it is to see a young pup standing its bird.
The bird exposure you are doing is going to pay off big this fall when the season opens, you will have one very fine young birddog.

Keep posting some pic of him, love to watch them develop.
Congrats, looks like you have a good one.
Steve

Montana

Post by Montana » Wed May 30, 2012 7:18 am

Stoneface wrote:That is one incredible-looking pup. Love the color and her attitude really just makes you want to keep your eyes on her. Does she carry that attitude when she's away from birds, too?
Yes....the last picture is when he's not on a bird... JD is a "He", by the way. :) He's very sure of himself and has been since the day I brought him home. Starting to grow out of the puppy stage a bit (the stage where everything goes in him mouth)...likes to lay next to my chair in the evenings.

Fester

Post by Fester » Wed May 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Very nice pup
Fester

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed May 30, 2012 7:39 pm

lew was my FIRST choice until i fell for SMALL MUNSTERLANDER.
you have very good dog there, for sure.

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:48 am

very nice

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:53 am

SetterNut wrote:
Keep posting some pic of him, love to watch them develop.
Congrats, looks like you have a good one.

I must agree ! Nice looking pup ! :D

terrym

Post by terrym » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:00 am

Sounds like a keeper to me. Gorgous looking too.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

fireangel

Post by fireangel » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:20 pm

very nice!!