Senior Dog Food

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Senior Dog Food

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Do you use a Senior dog food for a Senior dog ( over 7) or do you carry on with a maintenance dog food?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bossman

Re: Senior Dog Food

Post by bossman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:57 pm

For me, it's more a question of activity rather than age. If they are still in hunting condition and hunting regularly during the season, I keep them on their normal 30/20 feed. When they slow down I may change.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:08 pm

I keep mine on hipro thru their life, I believe dropping down on feed slows metabolism and begins decline faster than if the dog is kept active and on a hipro food. I experienced this with my last lab, now this one is on Diamond EA and 10.5 yrs and going strong, except for some white around the face he's still in his prime (maybe the downside of prime) but still going strong with great body condition. He ran on prairie chickens, sharptails and roosters this year and had about 200 waterfowl retrieves.

So for me its no senior or weight management food, I just adjust the ration of his normal rocket fuel :D
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:27 am

Senior food could have some value if a dog becomes very innactive due to age, illnes or injury but outside that I don't really see a need for it. Many dogs with early stage kidney disease might benefit from some of the senior diets because they tend to be low in phosphorous.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:21 am

I have my 13.5 yr old Hound cross on Annamaet Salcha (grain free 30/16). She looks amazing and has a ton of energy. I had my grandparents 17.5 yr old mutt on senior but switched her back to adult a few months ago because she lost too much weight.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:54 am

The advantage of Senior Food is it is lower in several areas that let you feed a little more to help satisfy the dogs hunger without feeding too many calories. Plus there can be an advantage if the dog has kidney problems. But there is no way I would consider a Dog a Senior at 7 or 8 years. Senior to me means inactive instead of how old the dog is.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks for the feedback.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:17 pm

I use the Orijen All Life Stages food. Great food, highly recommend it.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:31 pm

bossman wrote:For me, it's more a question of activity rather than age. If they are still in hunting condition and hunting regularly during the season, I keep them on their normal 30/20 feed. When they slow down I may change.
I keep mine on hipro thru their life, I believe dropping down on feed slows metabolism and begins decline faster than if the dog is kept active and on a hipro food. I experienced this with my last lab, now this one is on Diamond EA and 10.5 yrs and going strong, except for some white around the face he's still in his prime (maybe the downside of prime) but still going strong with great body condition. He ran on prairie chickens, sharptails and roosters this year and had about 200 waterfowl retrieves.

So for me its no senior or weight management food, I just adjust the ration of his normal rocket fuel
Same here on both of these posts.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way