Best tick blocker? Collar or treatment?

bmcox86

Best tick blocker? Collar or treatment?

Post by bmcox86 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:22 pm

Im taking my pup to the east coast for a month and was wondering what the best tick treatment was? I was thinking of getting him the collar but there's so many treatments out there I don't know where to start. I was looking at sentry, frontline, bio? Any of these work better than the others? Saw the spray to and was wondering how that worked?

Thanks in advance.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Best tick blocker? Collar or treatment?

Post by nikegundog » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:03 pm

bmcox86 wrote:Im taking my pup to the east coast for a month and was wondering what the best tick treatment was? I was thinking of getting him the collar but there's so many treatments out there I don't know where to start. I was looking at sentry, frontline, bio? Any of these work better than the others? Saw the spray to and was wondering how that worked?

Thanks in advance.
Frontline use to be bulletproof for my dogs for many years, the last two seasons its really dropped off its effectiveness in my opinion. I believe the doc mentioned ticks are becoming immune to it. Well anyways I still use it and I would say its 90% effective, but by no-means what it use to be.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:20 pm

Preventic collars. last 3 months and IMO keeps most of them from attaching.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:27 pm

I would say a combination of treatment and collar. It's not what I do but it would probably be the best bet.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

some are using CATTLE EAR TAGS on their dogs and they work very good.
i am using PET ARMOR now at 25 dollars for 3 months .i buy x-large and get 6 months out of a 3 month pk.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:20 pm

Advantix 55
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:59 am

Chaingang wrote:Preventic collars. last 3 months and IMO keeps most of them from attaching.
+1

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Clove oil is the best flea and tick repeller. It keeps the fleas and ticks away. Feed a high quality food and put 1 tsp of garlic powder in your dog's food for each meal. Garlic powder wards off fleas and ticks. Feeding a high quality diet will definitely help with keeping fleas and ticks away.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:04 pm

B&BWeims wrote:Clove oil is the best flea and tick repeller. It keeps the fleas and ticks away. Feed a high quality food and put 1 tsp of garlic powder in your dog's food for each meal. Garlic powder wards off fleas and ticks. Feeding a high quality diet will definitely help with keeping fleas and ticks away.
Clove oil does nothing and neither does garlic.

I started with Advantix II this year and I haven't seen one tick.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Im in the mid atlantic not far from the Ocean and the generic fipronil I bought at Target works fine....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:54 pm

mcbosco wrote:
B&BWeims wrote:Clove oil is the best flea and tick repeller. It keeps the fleas and ticks away. Feed a high quality food and put 1 tsp of garlic powder in your dog's food for each meal. Garlic powder wards off fleas and ticks. Feeding a high quality diet will definitely help with keeping fleas and ticks away.

I've recommend clove oil to multiple people and all say they've had better luck using clove oil than using store bought flea/tick control. I use clove oil on my dogs and haven't seen any fleas and ticks for over a year, I check them every day. My dogs used to get so many fleas and ticks but after using clove oil and garlic powder, my dogs don't get any and haven't had a flea or tick for over a year. Garlic powder has multiple health benefits and does keep the fleas and ticks away too.

So, yes, clove oil and garlic powder both do keep the fleas and ticks away.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:06 pm

B&BWeims wrote:
mcbosco wrote:

I've recommend clove oil to multiple people and all say they've had better luck using clove oil than using store bought flea/tick control. I use clove oil on my dogs and haven't seen any fleas and ticks for over a year, I check them every day. My dogs used to get so many fleas and ticks but after using clove oil and garlic powder, my dogs don't get any and haven't had a flea or tick for over a year. Garlic powder has multiple health benefits and does keep the fleas and ticks away too.

So, yes, clove oil and garlic powder both do keep the fleas and ticks away.
Guess she told you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shows we can just throw away the researh done and our experiences.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

B&BWeims

Post by B&BWeims » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:43 pm

I believe all of the store bought flea and tick controls cause more harm than good. Take a look at the side effects on most of them.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:08 pm

B&BWeims wrote:I believe all of the store bought flea and tick controls cause more harm than good. Take a look at the side effects on most of them.
You must be a little misinformed about clove oil. I wish you luck using it.

"Clove oil is toxic to human cells, if ingested in sufficient quantity or injected it has been shown to cause life-threatening complications, including Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, Fulminant Hepatic (Liver) Failure, and Central Nervous System Depression. The lethal oral dose is 3.75 g per kg body weight and ingestion is the most common way for these severe consequences to occur. Clove oil is toxic to the liver and nervous system and there have been reported cases of acute sickness and deaths with as little ingested as 8 ml. Clove oil is highly cytotoxic to human skin cells at concentrations as low as 0.03 percent. Eugenol is rapidly absorbed and metabolized in the liver when ingested, and 95% of the dose is excreted within 24 hours. "

"
Safety Issues

Website Simple Steps published an article on the safety of plant-based products used to repel fleas. According to the site, dogs and cats have much more intense reactions to the products than humans. The article says that clove oil can cause salivation, vomiting, seizures, muscle tremors and even death in a few cases. That's definitely not what you want when you use a natural product on your pet, and thus, it is a risk you should know about. The Green Spotlight lists clove oil as an alternative and "green" product to use to prevent fleas, but cautions that pets may lick it off their fur.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/22038 ... z1y4klcnWc"

Warning

The website for the University of Maryland Medical Center, or UMMC, has an entire article describing the risks of clove oil overdose. Keep in mind that Simple Steps says that dogs and cats can have a much more intense reaction to clove oil than humans, and this should serve as a warning not to use it as a flea repellent for your pet. The UMMC article says that clove oil overdose should not be treated at home, but by emergency health care professionals. The site reports that if the person survives the first 48 hours after the overdose, his prognosis for survival is good, but he may have permanent damage.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/22038 ... z1y4lJb43o

Perhaps you should try Frontline or Advantix II and save your animal.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:45 pm

mcbosco wrote:

+1

Here in the insect capital of the US where we get fleas, ticks & mosquitoes almost year 'round, we use K9 Advantix II on our GSPs. They are CONSTANTLY in fields, woods, etc., and we find NO fleas on them or mosquito bites. Occasionally there is a tick, but they rarely, if ever, seem to attached.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:03 pm

mcbosco wrote:

+1

Here in the insect capital of the US where we get fleas, ticks & mosquitoes almost year 'round, we use K9 Advantix II on our GSPs. They are CONSTANTLY in fields, woods, etc., and we find NO fleas on them or mosquito bites. Occasionally there is a tick, but they rarely, if ever, seem to attached.
+2

I am in NY. Never had a flea on my dogs or the very very rare tick when using Advantix. Not sure where you are going but usually here the worst ticks are in the wet/warm months. April/May and September. I have had friends taking 20 ticks off their dogs. I found 2 total on 3 dogs all of 2011, using Advantix.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:57 pm

some say, jim why are you always trying to save money :lol: well, i am not working and new home, new truck and 2 dogs to feed etc :D

anyhow, here is what i do.
wal-mart has the PET ARMOUR flea/tick in x-large size for 25 dollars for 3 months.
i went to pharmacy and bought a EYE DROPPER BOTTLE.
it has MG on the stems.
pour the PET ARMOUR in bottle and you can measure out the correct amount for weight of your dog.
you can get the weight amounts to use off the small to x-large size at wal-mart display on PET ARMOUR.
doing this i can get 6 months out of 3 month supply for my lab toby at 75 pds.only for 25 dollars.smaller dog you could get 9 months for 25 dollars using x-large and eye dropper.
:wink:

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:39 pm

I use revolution on my (2) pointers and have few ticks. Where I hunt and run the dogs the area is loaded with ticks, spring and fall being the worst. The vet mentioned and pushed to wear the tick collar, my young son loves the dogs and hugs/cuddles with them all the time. The vet confided in me that he uses revolution but doesn't utilize the collar because he has young kids. I am glad I did not have a pesticide necklace around the dogs when my boy entered the oral fixation stage. If I had kennel dogs they would be wearing the collars though.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Advantage 50- haven't seen a tick/flea in years.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett