Birds!

dreamerofdreams

Birds!

Post by dreamerofdreams » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Newb trainer here... So I set my almost 13 week brit out with some pigeons for the first time. She's sooo excited, but still way too small to actually carry it around (though she is trying her darndest!).

I started her off with a lockwing. I was probably being overly cautious, but she's tiny and has shown some shyness in the past so I wanted to make sure the first bird experience was a positive one. The second one I carded and let her keep flushing - I think she liked the flapping wings! I'm going to continue using this one as long as I can, but after this should I wait a bit until she's bigger and able to carry the bird, or just keep tossing her at them?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Birds!

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:53 pm

13 wks? One of those pigeons slaps the snot out of her and she may reconcider the value of finding it!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:19 pm

Sounds like fun but it does have its hazards. Consider getting a training plan like " Point! " by James Spencer. That's all I had for the first year f my training dogs, and it was sufficient.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/poindogtrain.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Genuine question, as I have several DVDs and books which I'm using, but I've seen folks on here introing birds quite early, much earlier than this, when do you intro birds then? Especially if there aren't wild birds around.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:04 pm

I do it with pigeons when the pups are 6 weeks or so simce I have them available but in the past I did it with pheasants as soon as they were able to find one. Haven't really found much difference. After the introduction I don't use the birds much till later when we start doing field work. For those first few months the pups are treated like pups, just being socialized and taught their manners. Sometime after they are 6 months or so we will start field work lightly and may start using some birds again.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:49 am

DonF wrote:13 wks? One of those pigeons slaps the snot out of her and she may reconcider the value of finding it!

i raised toby on pigeons in cage only at young age.
you are right, 1 slap and it may affect the dog later?
whiskers has seen 2 pigeons in cage at 9 weeks.
but that is far as i am going with it.
at 6 months i will be throwing pigeons in air for whiskers.
thats about that too.
then later in launcher or in weoods released etc.

K9luke

Post by K9luke » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:14 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I do it with pigeons when the pups are 6 weeks or so simce I have them available but in the past I did it with pheasants as soon as they were able to find one. Haven't really found much difference. After the introduction I don't use the birds much till later when we start doing field work. For those first few months the pups are treated like pups, just being socialized and taught their manners. Sometime after they are 6 months or so we will start field work lightly and may start using some birds again.

Ezzy
Ezzy,
Would you define "lightly" with a scenario for us?
I am about ready to start field work and have been wondering the best way to start with birds. I don't want to start with launchers if I don't have to. I am hoping to set up a fun scenario for the pup and make it as natural as I can. Lightly, gently and maximize the lesson.
I think I have allways started with to many birds and trained to frequently. 3 birds per training session and I think I slowed the dogs learning by overloading it in the beginning.

Thank you !

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:43 pm

By lightly I am refering to little to no pressure. Since I have homers I can just hide the pigeons and let the pup find and chase if needed. And then gradually work into steadiness, style, and patterns if you want to teach them. Also gun intro, and stpping or whoa can be started. 12 or 3 birds should be enough, just remember to quit on a good one even if it is the first.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

CacaoandNilla

Post by CacaoandNilla » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:29 pm

I don't want to hijack but

I'm wondering if you do anything yet when a 7 month old is very hard mouthed on birds when she catches one? Or do you wait till later in training to correct it?

LaTexCLB

Post by LaTexCLB » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:21 pm

Responding to hard mouthed 7 month pup - two ideas to consider. First, you might have the dog retrieve some frozen quail. I would normally consider seven months too young to really train force fetch (as it can take a fair amount of pressure to "make" the dog open its mouth, hold the bird, bring it to you, etc.) However, I've found that going through force fetch training will certainly take the edge of a dog tending to be hard mouthed.
Impressive KaZoya Rusty Mia Reduxx http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genedit.php?id=4133

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:37 am

LaTexCLB wrote:Responding to hard mouthed 7 month pup - two ideas to consider. First, you might have the dog retrieve some frozen quail. I would normally consider seven months too young to really train force fetch (as it can take a fair amount of pressure to "make" the dog open its mouth, hold the bird, bring it to you, etc.) However, I've found that going through force fetch training will certainly take the edge of a dog tending to be hard mouthed.
I've also read that when the pup is holding the bird, softly stroking under her chin can help relax the mouth.