New Pointer Puppy Near Bird Feeder

coopdegra

New Pointer Puppy Near Bird Feeder

Post by coopdegra » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:03 am

I have an 8 week old English Setter that I got about a week ago. I spend a lot of time with her in the back yard where she generally eats and plays. There is a bird feeder nearby and a variety of birds pick up seeds from the feeder on the ground. My dog has shown some moderate interest in the ground birds in the last day or two, but has not chased them. The birds (including doves) are used to our non hunting dog who died two months ago and never bothered the birds. My question is, should I ditch the feeder and get rid of the birds or is this a positive or at least neutral experience for my pup?
Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: New Pointer Puppy Near Bird Feeder

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Either way it won't make amy difference in the long run as long as you say nothing. My 3 love that bird seed, which won't hurt them UNLESS it is falling rancid ( got wet) from the feeder.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

coopdegra

Post by coopdegra » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Sharon wrote:Either way it won't make amy difference in the long run as long as you say nothing. My 3 love that bird seed, which won't hurt them UNLESS it is falling rancid ( got wet) from the feeder.
In other words, if I say or do nothing and my pup ends up chasing birds away from the bird feeder, that is ok?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:23 pm

That is great!. You got yourself a bird dog. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:36 pm

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Puppies need stuff to chase and to point and to just DO stuff.

If there are tweetie birds to stalk and point and chase they will do that. If there are butterflies, dragonflies, bumblebees, hhorseflies, whatever...they will chase them and point them. I love to watch a youngster chase butterflies. They get so much exercise, they develop so much agility and they have sooo much fun doing it.

I had a dog that, when there was absolutely nothing else in the field, would point field mice and then dive in and start digging after them. It was hilarious to see a 65# pointer bouncing around in the clumps of grass like a puppy chasing those field mice. She did this 'till she died at the age of 12 and I firmly believe it was because she loved, no... she LIVED to hunt. If there was a bird out there she would find it, but if the field was barren, she was going to have some fun, one way or another.

In the field, puppies will point and chase meadowlarks, killdeer, doves and all sorts of trash birds. If you just kinda watch, but ignore, the dog will get the idea that you ain't really interested and will begin to leave thenm alone. When they start finding gamebirds , they will sense your heightened interest and start to focus in on those birds because that is what gets you excited too. When you start killing those gamebirds, the youngster will put it all together and "GAME ON".

As has been previously stated, let it be to the extent possible...it will pass.

coopdegra

Post by coopdegra » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks guys. Consensus seems to be that my pup's interest in wild, "trash" birds at feeder is probably a good thing.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:10 am

Pups & bird feeders are hilarious! They're like a teenage boy out in front of a brothel! :lol: They can't help but be interested but have no clue what to do! :lol: Mine pointed everything that moved & still does! Enjoy & stap some pictures. The distractions make them stand still for half a second and you can get a good look at what your dog is gonna grow into! 8)
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

coopdegra

Post by coopdegra » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:22 am

Shortfat:

Thanks. This morning she just sat there and watched birds from about 10 feet away. Watched them in the sky too.