Chesapeake Bay Retriever Info

Fowlquest

Chesapeake Bay Retriever Info

Post by Fowlquest » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:15 am

Hello, I'm new to the forum and have been lookin around and see tuns of good info. I'm planning on getting a bird dog and almost have my mind made up with a Chessie because of they're drive and attitude. If anyone could give me tips and info on the breed it would be greatly appreciated. I'm curious about the right time of year to buy a pup, AKC info, choosing the pup, breeders, things to watch for, and so on... I've heard to take a bird wing with you and play with the litter when choosing to see for instinct to hunt, dominance, but any other information about this breed and training tips would be awesome
Thanks in advance.

frosso

Re: Chesapeake Bay Retriever Info

Post by frosso » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:15 am

My first dog Ginny was a Chessie. I didn't hunt back then and she was just a family dog. She was a great dog and would retrieve until your arm fell off and LOVED to retrieve in water (no surprise there). She was stong as an ox too. I'm not an expert on dogs but I do know Chesapeakes are very hard headed, stubborn, and can be over protective. Make sure you go to a reputable breeder to get the right temperment especially if you have kids. They also have an oily coat so they tend to be a little dog smeller than others. If you go to the right breeder you will end up with the most loyal, loving, hardworking, driven dog.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:43 am

go to this site: http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/

more info. on there about chessies

Fowlquest

Post by Fowlquest » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:16 am

Fowl, if you dont mind me asking, what type of game will you be hunting? I ask because sometimes the chessie might not be the best dog for the job. Like I said, just wondering.

Corry

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Go to a local training club that has working chessies before you make up your mind. IMO, chessies aren't "birddogs" they are waterfowl dogs. We own two. Take heed of the warnings about the breed. They can be aggressive towards both people and other dogs (no matter how well socialized they are). They are keen retrievers and ideal dogs for waterfowl hunting in harsh conditions. The dogs I've been exposed to have been quite slow in coming around to training, hardheaded and not very eager to please. That is based on about 5 dogs I've been around a lot. They are most assuredly not a labrador with a curlier coat - their attitude and demeanor is much different. They are not a dog I would take to the dog park if I was a dog park type person. They are loyal and protective - I would say, too protective.

Be very careful when choosing your breeder and make sure you have a good idea of the sire and dam's temperment (plus their parent's temperment).

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:37 pm

If you are looking for a real water brute like a Chessie without the risk, talk to some of the eastern Labrador breeders. The Van Lee Kennel is well known around here and if they don't have pups they will know someone that has the heavy duty water dog you seem to want. Peak Performance Labradors is also another good one.

Drive is fine, attitude sometimes isn't.

Susie

Post by Susie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:52 pm

RoostersMom wrote:IMO, chessies aren't "birddogs" they are waterfowl dogs.
Really? Please don't tell our dogs they aren't birdgos LOL The only time our CBRs see waterfowl is at a hunt test <VBG>

RTF is a great site however, if you want to talk Chespeake (the good, the bad and the ugly) with folks that have years of breeding/training experience go to this site: http://teamchesapeake.infopop.cc/groupee/forums

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:50 am

I know two good breeders. Pond Hollow on the East Coast and Spinnaker Ridge in the Midwest. Both can help you with your questions, have great temperments, and are hunting fools. If you would like references just PM me.

Carla

Fowlquest

Post by Fowlquest » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks for all the replies. I would be using this dog for ducks and geese. Does anyone go by a certain time of year to buy a pup considering starting it in the field at a certain time?

Montana

Post by Montana » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:27 am

I bred Chessies for years... I currently have 3 (all are now retired from breeding). They are great dogs and I hunt mine exclusively on pheasants. They do an adequate job, but really can't compare with a good Springer. I use them mostly in November and December when it is cold and nasty. They have incredible coats and don't pick up any burrs... Mine shed in the Spring, but shed very little the rest of the year... The Labs I've seen shed terribly..... My niece has 3 labs and she said they now consider dog hair a condiment. :)

As far as their attitude and personality goes, some can be unpredictable at times. I've never had one show any aggression toward people, but I have two females that can get nasty with other females. My males have never shown aggression toward other dogs, oddly enough, but there is obviously a reason why a female dog is called a bit*h.. A good pup from good field lines should train easily and they do so much naturally that it makes training fun. I've never had to work on getting a proper delivery to hand....they just do it...and do it, and do it, and do it. Their retrieving instincts are so strong it can be almost annoying at times....they have to be carrying something around all the time. They are incredible markers...when a bird goes down, they get it...Period, and they have fantastic memories. Once they learn something, no refresher training is necessary.

They are big, extremely strong dogs, obviously and if they decide they don't want to do something they can be a handful to handle.... I have two that will not jump into the back of my pickup, so I have to lift them in. As I'm not a spring chicken anymore, that gets old (and is hard on the back!).

All in all they are a great breed, but they are not for everyone... Breeders have done a lot to improve their temperaments over the years, but they are still a Chessie and are very much a one person/one family dog for the mostpart.