The best way to set pigeons out for training..

Ahumphers91a

The best way to set pigeons out for training..

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:43 am

Is there a specific way you guys set up a training field with pigeons or set them out individually? I have been dizzying and setting one bird down at a time. I don't use a launcher, but have been thinking of buying a couple kick cages.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: The best way to set pigeons out for training..

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:21 pm

I set up 2 0r 3 birds ( hard flying pigeons- dizzied) in a good spot ( 100 yards between each) and then go back to the truck and get the dog. Planting pigeons as you go can mess up a dog. they know the deal. :) I have no idea if this is "the best way". It works for me.( I let my pigeons fly awayyyyyyyyyy.

3 edits - i think it have ir right now. :)
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:22 pm

I have 2 launchers that I put out. Wish I had more.
I will often use one launcher for stf and let him point the last pigeon.
Other times I will put the two launchers side by side. Let him watch the first one fly off, then surprise him with the 2nd bird.
Steve

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:31 pm

If you got the open space, just card them.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:44 pm

cmc274 wrote:If you got the open space, just card them.
But if your dog is still chasing, use the cc or e-collar to stop the dog. They sometimes don't fly far.
Last edited by SetterNut on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:19 pm

I used remote traps for a lot of years. Gave then to a young guy last year and got one new one. Also have several kick traps I made myself. Seldom ever dizzy a bird any more.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Remote launchers at first, and I have 2. As we progressed, I bought a Higgins. That's a pretty nice gizmo and used the electronics off of one of my dt remote launchers. Too expensive to buy another, so we bought some weak springs to convert the other launcher. That works very nice too, and took a lot of the noise away and gave a more natural lower bird flush. As we got steady to wing with shot, I moved on to all kick cages that I got from LCS. I did have to ziptie some duck decoy weights to the sides of the cages recently, as I had a pigeon release himself and some pretty jumpy chukar that were trying hard to do the same.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:46 pm

There is a very cheap easy way to make pigeon 'releasers'. Use 1x1, or 1x.5 wire and cage clips and make a cage big enough hold a pigeon. There should be no bottom in the cage. You set the cage down over the pigeon and set a brick on top of the cage. Tie a string to one side and then run the string over the top of the brick, so that when you pull the string it tips the cage over and releases the pigeon. I used these for years although I now have a couple of launchers. I never really work a dog on pigeons without a check cord.

I do use pigeons in some other ways besides having dogs point them. I generally carry a sack of pigeons whenever I am working dogs. When a dog points released quail, I will flush out beyond where I think the quail is and as I am flushing I will drop a few pigeons. So the dog has to stand through multiple flushes. Often, I will never flush the bird that the dog is actually pointing, that way I can work several dogs on the same birds. I carry a sack of pigeons when I am running puppies and I just periodically toss a pigeon. It doesn't take long before those puppies are paying constant attention to me and going with me with no verbal calling or whistling.

Cora's Shadow

Post by Cora's Shadow » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:14 am

I rarely use launchers so I put out pigeons the cheap and easy way. I just twist their wings behind their back a couple of times and tuck them into some cover. Once the dog is on point, I just quickly untwist the wings and flush them. Twisting the wings looks painful (you are bending them at the wrist and than again at the tip) but the birds are still able to fly normally after you untwist them.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:30 am

Thanks for the tips fellas.

crewzm

Post by crewzm » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:33 am

When planting the birds try and take a route so that the dog runs into the scent cone of the bird before they run into the scent trail you left while planting birds. Eventually your dog will figure out that if they find your scent it will lead them straight to a bird. I now ride a mountain bike to plant birds, get done quicker and leaves less scent.

phoneman45

Post by phoneman45 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:34 pm

I use pigeon socks. To me it is the best way to plant a bird in a controlled situation when training a young dog. I used them when training a Brit once. He ended up being one of the best, and I believe that multiple finds using pigeons was a big factor. Good luck.

eric

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:58 pm

5-7 feet of weedeater string, tie a cable knot in the end and then tie a smaller string to that to hobble the bird with. Then fly that bird on the string until it no longer reaches for the sky and is exhausted,remove the string go get your dog.The pigeon will be upright alert exhausted and only get up to fly when pressured by the dog or you.This trick brought to you courtesy of the "pigeon magician"............. Here's where I got this trick from ............... thanks Tommy.

1964 NGSPA NATIONAL FIELD TRIAL

1964 NGSPA National Championship

WINNER - Champion - 1st Place
Susan v Hohen Tann
GSP Female
Sire: Baron vom Heidebrink
Dam: Sandra von Hohen Tann
Owner/Handler: T Schwertfeger