SD Pheasant hunt

Hunter

SD Pheasant hunt

Post by Hunter » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:08 am

Does anyone know of a good guide or lodge to hunt at in SD that wont break the bank. We are just looking for a place for two or three guys for 3 or 4 days of hunting. We have our own dogs and just want to find some place to hunt. I dont mind paying to hunt but most these lodges are like 4 to 5 hundred per person per day and thats the lighter ones, most include guided hunts or overnight stays to witch we wouldnt need. We want to shoot birds of course but more for the dogs and training. Is there any place you can just pay to hunt without all the the other stuff that comes with it.
Jerry Alden

2X NGDC/GFC/FC Clk's Point Me The Way ( Allie ) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2765

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: SD Pheasant hunt

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:40 pm

deke

Post by deke » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:49 pm

we spent a day at Anderson Creek? last time we were there, really nice people. Or you could look into the uguide stuff. I think thats five days right around 700 per person including lodging

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:01 pm

We are really just looking for some ground to hunt and work dogs. I checked with the one above and it was $ 400 per gun per day without lodging or guide service. heck I dont care if we shoot any I just want to work birds with the dogs for some extra training on the young ones. Most of these places include guides, dogs, lodging and meals and we really dont need any of those as we are pretty self sufficient.
Jerry Alden

2X NGDC/GFC/FC Clk's Point Me The Way ( Allie ) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2765

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:49 pm

Walkin ground around Aberdeen's preety good and not real expensive to stay if after the first or second week of season. :)

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:05 pm

There are as many birds in SD as there is air. Of course I come from the rather bird poor state of Missouri so perspective is everything. It sounds like you want to do it yourself more less. I would suggest you get a map from the SDDNR and hunt public ground. I will bet a paycheck you will find birds. If you choose to go this route, remember cattails = pheasants. You will do great.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Hunter wrote:We are really just looking for some ground to hunt and work dogs. I checked with the one above and it was $ 400 per gun per day without lodging or guide service. heck I dont care if we shoot any I just want to work birds with the dogs for some extra training on the young ones. Most of these places include guides, dogs, lodging and meals and we really dont need any of those as we are pretty self sufficient.
Just so you know 98% of hotels in that region accept dogs in their rooms.

Hunter

Post by Hunter » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:55 am

We have done the public hunting grounds before in SD, was just looking for more private stuff that doesnt get pounded everyday of the week. I have every SD hunting map thier is as thats how we found public ground to hunt in the past, we will still do that but also wanted to find a piece of private also. I may have found one here in searching the net for $ 125 per gun per day on 5000 acres in nc SD.
Jerry Alden

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:18 am

Hunter wrote:We have done the public hunting grounds before in SD, was just looking for more private stuff that doesnt get pounded everyday of the week.
What we found to work in ND is that after the first day or two on public ground - and visiting the coffee shop and dining places - we start asking the local farmers if they could help us out for a day or two. Ask 10 I bet you get 2-3 to say yes and then YOU take care of them...how ever you see fit.

triplebbirddog

Post by triplebbirddog » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:42 pm

medicinebreaks.com located in presho sd. very reasonable with great ground. Garret Garnos 605-659-3030

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:32 pm

There are a lot of land owners who lease land from $5o a day on up usually gas stations have signs and names. Lots of walkins some good and some not.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:16 am

I highly, highly recommend uguidesdpheasants.com. Chris is great to work with and has a bunch of different farms to chose from. The only problem is that it books up fast. Prices are pretty reasonable as well and the later you go, the cheaper it is. The farm we hunted the last couple years was great. The farmer showed us around the farm and then left us alone. We had a great little farm house to stay in and 5000 acres of prairies and farmed pheasant cover to hunt. We got at least one "South Dakota Flush" every year as well. If you've never seen a couple hundred pheasants bust out the back of a shelter belt all at once your missing out. The best part is that it's all DIY. The farm house had a decent kitchen and we cooked all of our own food which saved a lot of money as well. Most hunts are 4 nights lodging with 3 days hunting and prices start at $570/gun for the last week and go up to $920/gun for opening week. We' have hunted in mid-late Nov and early Dec and easily had our limits to shoot at every day.