Raccoon Ranglers?

crittercontrol

Raccoon Ranglers?

Post by crittercontrol » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:39 pm

Had the pleasure of taking 12 Volt Man along with me “crittering” the other day.

Got a call for a “Raccoon in the Chimney,” and upon closer inspection we found two raccoons in the chimney flue, 1 Blond, the other standard issue brown.

I push them up the flue, while 12 Volt man is ready for the capture. Success!

Boy was she mad! Pretty rare find though....

The other pops out the flue.

But we narrowly miss him!

Just another day....
:mrgreen:

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:45 pm

Oh man some has to do it LOL. You never got bit did you?

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:14 pm

I have much respect for a person that does that for a living. I few months ago I had a squrial in the wall and called my pest controll buddy out to help me. It is a long story so i just copied it and pasted it from an email I had sent

==============================
What a night last night was, wild squirrel in my wall, drunk pest control guy, and Harper trying to talk us into just letting the squirrel out to run wild in the house so he can kick it.

It all started last weekend I was in the house and hear something running around in the attic. I knew it had to be a squirrel, they are all over the place around my house, just begging to get shot and eating all my bird food. Every time I heard his little "bleep" running around I grabbed the broom and beat on the ceiling, and would crawl into the attic and flash my light around to see if I could see him. I did this a few times and noise stopped. I thought great, they left, now all I have to do is get a tall ladder and close up any sort of opening.

Tuesday night rolls around and we are eating dinner, when all the sudden I hear something in the wall by the kitchen trying to claw its way out. I had no idea what to do at that point, so I said forget it and watched some TV and went to bed. Wednesday he is still in the wall so I call my buddy Ryan the pest control guy to help out.

He shows up on Thursday around 4:30 to get this thing out. He immediately goes to the fridge and grabs a beer, we sit around and BS and we drink one. After that he crawled up in the attic and looked down the wall and sure enough he could see the squirrel. It was all hunkered down and almost dead, barely breathing. We did not want to cut a hole in the wall, so I asked him if he had something that we could stick down the wall stab the squirrel with and pull it out. Of course it is not that easy, he had nothing, I thought it was strange that the pest control guy had nothing like this.

Then I came up with a “great” idea. I said hey man I have a fishing pole over there, we can put a treble hook on it and try to hook him and reel him up, he is almost dead, so he should not fight that much. Surprisingly Ryan thought this was a good idea, we rigged up the fishing pool and he went in the attic again. Oh yeah, after like 2 more beers. He was kinda worried at first about what that squirrel was going to do if he did hook it. Me being the good friend said hey don’t worry about it, that is a 7’ rod, just make sure you hook him good. Well he tried to hook him and the squirrel did not move, but Ryan could not get it hooked. That idea was busted.

He drank a couple more beers and then it was time to do the only thing left, cut the wall. That turned out to be a task in itself, we broke all the blades on the jig saw and he had to go to Lowe’s to get more. Of course after one more beer.

He finally gets the wall open and he pokes in there with a wire to try and locate the squirrel. This went on for like 30 minutes when all the sudden the squirrel came to life and came springing out of the hole, he slammed the cabinet doors so that it would not get loose in the house. That is when it was decided that we need to kill this thing, so out came the pellet gun. We opened up the cabinet and Ryan had the pellet gun ready to shot. After 15 min of poking Mr Squirrel showed his face again and he got popped in the chest. Harper was holding the flashlight and ran like a little girl; Ryan is scream “give me the GD light”. It was real tense for like 10 seconds waiting to see what was going to happen. Then Ryan’s cell phone starts ringing and vibrating in his back pocket, and he went crazy. He thought that squirrel was going up his "bleep". It was funny, and a good reason to drink another beer.

Ryan went to stick his hand in the wall to grab the squirrel and it bit him, turns out he was not dead. It did not break the skin though, he was wearing gloves. The poking went on for I bet 30 more minutes before the rodent showed his face again, this time he caught a pellet in the forehead….done. We got him out, it took 3 hours, and I bet Ryan drank a 12 pack by himself in that timeframe.

After it is all said and done, Ryan said, “I have never done this, I just spray for bugs”. Dude has never even done this before, guess he found one more field to work in thanks to me.

=================================

sorry to hijack, just thought this was funny.....

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:04 pm

Rob you sissy why didnt you grab him with your hands :P

Never seen a blonde one. I bet you 2 had fun.

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:14 am

LMAO good story.

GSPinROCH

Post by GSPinROCH » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:26 pm

All I have to say is The Great Outdoors with Dan Akyroyd and John Candy LMAO and hearing stories like that reminds me of that movie with the bat and the coons and oh man!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:06 pm

Was playing volleyball with friends in Granbury, TX when I lived in Ft. Worth.

Ball went down a culvert, I went in on elbows and toes after it. Found myself facing a racoon. It was *huge* and very pissed off.

I think I still hold the world record for the 20 yard backwards elbows and knees sprint.

Best,

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:32 pm

That's pretty wild (no pun intended)! I didn't know racoons came in blonde! The only animals I run into @ work are already dead & either cooked or puree'd.

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:34 am

LOL

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:58 am

We had one "unzip" a dog in about six seconds, during a hunting trip back in the 60's. Opened the belly right up. Fortunately, had a surgeon in the party. Fixed back at the car with a needle and thread until we could get to the vet.

mit

wow

Post by mit » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:05 pm

OMG! I never knew they could be that nasty.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:07 pm

You sure that wasn't a badger. Coons normally fight on top while a badger lays on its back and will cut a dog to ribbons. Also badgers are normally den in a a good cover field. Just seems like the work of a badger from how you describe it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:23 pm

Yes, it was in a swamp and we saw it. Racoon. The dog and coon got into it and the coon just opened the dog up. Fairly large one. You are right, they usually like to get up on the head and take the eyes out. Which also happened to a friend some years back. One-Eyed Jack became the dog's name.

Not a thing to play with.

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:47 pm

OMG I did not know either they are that crazy. That is realy scary.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:34 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Was playing volleyball with friends in Granbury, TX when I lived in Ft. Worth.

Ball went down a culvert, I went in on elbows and toes after it. Found myself facing a racoon. It was *huge* and very pissed off.

I think I still hold the world record for the 20 yard backwards elbows and knees sprint.

Best,
LOL, that I would like to see :D

I used to do wildlife rehab and the spouse did wildlife damage control so we've both had our fair share of racoons too close! Tough little critters, I still have a couple of scars from a baby a few weeks past weaning!! I am sure he thrived cause he was a mean mean little thing. A good thing in Rehab, but :roll:

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:50 pm

mountaindogs wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:Was playing volleyball with friends in Granbury, TX when I lived in Ft. Worth.

Best,
LOL, that I would like to see :D

I used to do wildlife rehab and the spouse did wildlife damage control so we've both had our fair share of racoons too close! Tough little critters, I still have a couple of scars from a baby a few weeks past weaning!! I am sure he thrived cause he was a mean mean little thing. A good thing in Rehab, but :roll:
I'd heard the jokes about climbing up in a tree to shake a racoon out when coon hunting ("shoot up here, one of us has got to have some relief!"), but being in a narrow culvert with one brought it too close to home.

We've had problems with them catching Huns that we had in a pigeon coop. 6 huns in one night. We put the traps out and caught 3 racoons in two nights, then another within a week. Tricky little rascals.

Best,

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:16 am

Best,
lol

LuLu_01

Post by LuLu_01 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:42 am

Years ago, a friend of mine had a racoon in their garage. The animal control guy got it with his pole. I'll tell you what, that the the scarriest things. That racoon surely would have ripped anything open at that point.

Since then, I avoid encountering one at all costs.

Had a possum up in a blue spruce tree here one night. My GSP was outside and started "Screaming", thought for sure she was caught on something or hurt very badly.

Had to grab a flashlight and run, she was behind the waterfall of the pond, under the blue spruce (branches are cut up about 5ft because of the waterfall). She had something "tree'd, I didn't want to go under the tree to get her, figured a coon was in it. She was screaming so much, the neighbors were starting to come out to find out what was wrong. The dog is very quiet normally...what a sound to behold.

I was able to see what was in the tree, a possum, I really didn't want to get under that either but finally got the dog..without incident.

Guess when our dogs are potentially threatened or hurt...we'll do just about anything!!