hunting a dog in heat.... thoughts?

C.painter

hunting a dog in heat.... thoughts?

Post by C.painter » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:01 pm

So my pup will have her first cycle this fall and I want to get thoughts on hunting a dog in heat. All the dogs my buddies have are fixed, and we rarely run across others in the field (grouse woods in N wi.). She is a close working dog for the most part, not like she ranges big.
Those that have done it, thoughts on degree of risk? Dumb Q but what about coyotes, wolves?

I know to be certain don't hunt her, but I rather get her in the field.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Steve007

Re: hunting a dog in heat.... thoughts?

Post by Steve007 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Call your vet. You can delay the heat cycle without affecting her fertility,but you don't want to wait until she's in season.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 6&aid=1386

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Not sure how you can predict her first heat cycle. At her age I wouldn't be at all surprised if she didn.t start till spring. But you never know about the first one.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:42 pm

As long as you're 100% sure that nobody else is around and YOU'RE comfortable with it go for it. I've done it and will continue to do it as long as I know that nobody else is around.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Hunt her.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:00 pm

I've hunted mine in heat when nobody is around and it has been okay. But you need to realize SOME FEMALES GET REAL FUNNY IN THE HEAD when they are in heat---some just don't act normal when they are in heat !:

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:12 pm

deseeker wrote: But you need to realize SOME FEMALES GET REAL FUNNY IN THE HEAD when they are in heat---some just don't act normal when they are in heat !:
We're talkin' dogs here, right?

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:15 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
deseeker wrote:I've hunted mine in heat when nobody is around and it has been okay. But you need to realize SOME FEMALES GET REAL FUNNY IN THE HEAD when they are in heat---some just don't act normal when they are in heat !:
I was going to answer females in general, but I know better than to say that on this forum :lol: :roll:

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:16 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
deseeker wrote: But you need to realize SOME FEMALES GET REAL FUNNY IN THE HEAD when they are in heat---some just don't act normal when they are in heat !:

Now that's funny! IF its any indication of the women in my life I am in trouble! :).

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Steve007 wrote:Call your vet. You can delay the heat cycle without affecting her fertility,but you don't want to wait until she's in season.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 6&aid=1386
I checked the link and boy not liking the risks just to avoid the heat cycle:
" Side Effects May see increase in clitoral size which may resolve after treatment is discontinued, vaginal discharge, mounting other dogs, aggression, change in voice, increase in oily skin and body odor, reproductive tract lesions, tearing, or urinary incontinence. May also cause liver disease or death especially in cats.

Contraindications/Warnings Do not use in Bedlington Terriers or other breeds predisposed to kidney or liver disease.

Do not use in patients with liver or kidney disease.

Do not use in patients with androgen-dependent cancers such as perianal adenocarcinomas (malignant tumors that occur near the anus).

Do not use before the first estrus cycle, in pregnant or nursing dogs, or for more than 24 months.

Do not use in cats, as it has a very narrow therapeutic range."

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:31 pm

deseeker wrote:I was going to answer females in general, but I know better than to say that on this forum :lol: :roll:
C.painter wrote:Now that's funny! IF its any indication of the women in my life I am in trouble! :).
I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:32 pm

Now that I have a female, I have asked some experienced friends the same question. Basically they say that they will not hunt them in Standing heat. That should only be about 10 days of your hunting season.

I am with you though, I am not sure all those risks are worth delaying a heat cycle.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:35 pm

I have hunted my females while in season along with males,never had a problem they were TOO BUSY hunting to pay any attention!! & no I would never use drugs to delay or stop heat cycles,I have NEVER heard anything good about it from people that have.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:02 pm

In N. WI I would hunt my dog in heat any day of the week. Chances of running into someone else up there is very slim. Plus My dog didn't go into her first heat until she was year old so your dog may or may not do the same thing. They are all over the place the first one. I have even heard them not having one until they are 1.5 yrs old. You never know when it will come.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:00 pm

My avatar dog Star was almost 3 yrs old when she had her first full Heat cycle.She still only comes in once a yr around May,June,or July.She is very athletic & stays in hard condition.