Let it be...

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Let it be...

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:10 pm

Mantra to self this evening. Was trying to do bird work (with pigeons that still need to be close to their pen to return) with two dogs. Field left of me was being deer hunted so OUT. Field right of me (around small pond and small field anyway) whole family fishing. OUT. Another place across the road is optional but pretty far for the pigeons still. Started to set the launcher up and my hand slipped releasing the mechanism... good by bird. Flew completely the wrong way. I hope he circles back but decided not to risk it with my other pigeons since I only have 8 returning right now, and two are paired up with young.
SO
I thought well, I'll show the pigeons to the lab puppy and let them fly in the yard back to coop. Last bird landed on edge of my dog kennel with the dog I have been working through hard mouth. Then, you guessed it, dropped INTO the run!!! SERIOUSLY :evil:
I screamed WHOA (probably not the best trainer moment) and somehow the pigeon was grabbed then escaped, and the whoa was ignored, as I should have expected.
SO
moved indoors and taught my lab puppy how to shake hands. A very practical end to a toss up of an evening. :roll:

Sometimes you just have to shrug and go on with it...

prairiefirepointers

Re: Let it be...

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Yep... Sometimes you just have to punt. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:39 am

not that it is ever funny to hear the blunders while trying to train, but that did make me laug a little. Hopefully the hadshake session went better than the birds? :lol:

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:00 am

I cant wait to screw up with my new pup! Times like those are what make you thankful for the "everything coming together" moments. Thanks for the story.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:29 am

Just an update both pigeons returned! One is half naked though. :lol:

We got shake down nicely.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:01 am

Must have been one of those days. I too had 2 lousy flying pigeons that screwed up the training period. I was born in the wrong year. Wish I'd be born around 1913 when wild birds were abundant up here.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:31 pm

I hav a few more coming on if u want to get them on Wed when u come. Story of my life, we hav loaded dogs twice to go to the places we train other than here, got to one and cover was too thick to get a bird flushed, other was mowed to the ground...Ugh!
brenda

codym

Post by codym » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:31 am

Sometimes training just turns into a train wreck! I have had a few more of those days than I would like to remember. Pigeons will give you the finger everytime. Just have to shake it off and keep moving foreward.