Beer?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Beer?

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:17 pm

I think it's "General Chat About GunDogs".
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Angus

Post by Angus » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Met a gentleman today at his sporting club and got to run willie with his two beautiful Vizlas on some liberated quail. Now home drinking a Bud out of a cold Bottle. I really like Angus Homebrew, but for a hot march day, it's hard to beat a cold Budweiser bottle.

mydoghasfleas

Post by mydoghasfleas » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:51 pm

rkappes wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:I like a cold beer myself, but we're going to have to do something for off topic threads. They are getting out of hand.
Huh, well, GDF does have a ‘General Chat’ section. A beer topic seems fitting for a ‘General Chat’ section and beer is something a lot of people on here have in common/enjoy. I actually made myself a spreadsheet of all the above beers that I haven’t had so I can give them a try, kinda fun. I personally enjoy tasting, learning, etc.. about different beers so this is a fun topic. At least people aren’t arguing, ridiculing, acting like jerks, etc....just a light hearted topic.

Hope this thread doesn’t get locked…

Shoot yeah! I think we all like a good beer and it is WAY better discussion than argumentative banter that often comes up... I like the spreadsheet idea! I may have to do the same and giver a go.

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:31 pm

With the way micro-breweries are popping up these days (and with success I might add) you guys are going to be busy!

I can't even keep track of them in my local area! :D

God Bless the Northwest
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

raypoconos

Post by raypoconos » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:38 pm

My dog is named Lager ... you tell me

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:49 am

raypoconos wrote:My dog is named Lager ... you tell me
Great name!!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:55 am

Just picked up a sixer of Lagunitas IPA Maximus. Good flavor/body, decent amount of hops. I'd recommend tyring it if you like hoppy beers. The higher IBU beers always catch me off guard.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:47 pm

rkappes » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:55 am
Just picked up a sixer of Lagunitas IPA Maximus. Good flavor/body, decent amount of hops. I'd recommend tyring it if you like hoppy beers. The higher IBU beers always catch me off guard.
If you can find Ithaca Beer Flower Power you might like it. Very hoppy. Might only be available on the East coast. Troegs Nugget Nectar is good. Dogfishhead IPAs are good as well.

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 am

Don't know if it's been mentioned (didn't read this whole thread) but Surly Furious is probably one of the most delicious American style IPAs on the market today.
Close second would be a Bell's Two Hearted.
After that, its a tossup. I'm a big hop-head, but those beers are my go-to brews.

djloder

Post by djloder » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:37 am

Just got my hands on a new brewer named Lucid from Minnetonka, Mn.

Camo is pretty good.
Derek Lodermeier
TR GUN Derrick de L'Etoile du Nord NA-PZ1TAN http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2204

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:59 pm

Surly x Target Field = Heaven on Earth!

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:35 am

rkappes wrote:Just picked up a sixer of Lagunitas IPA Maximus. Good flavor/body, decent amount of hops. I'd recommend tyring it if you like hoppy beers. The higher IBU beers always catch me off guard.
I haven't met a Lagunintas I didn't like...

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed May 02, 2012 5:42 am

GWPtyler wrote:
rkappes wrote:Just picked up a sixer of Lagunitas IPA Maximus. Good flavor/body, decent amount of hops. I'd recommend tyring it if you like hoppy beers. The higher IBU beers always catch me off guard.
I haven't met a Lagunintas I didn't like...
:D

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed May 02, 2012 5:51 am

Had a couple new ones recently....

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Very tasty. Piney, fruity, smooooth!

Bell's Oberon Ale - I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers but am a fan of Bells so figured I would give this a try. Definte wheat, slight citrus, slight hop character. Probably wouldn't buy again.

Although not a beer I also had my first 'Greyhound' this last weekend. I hate grapefruit but love these cocktails!!!

lowerGSP

Post by lowerGSP » Wed May 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Hookadooka BirdDogs wrote:
phermes1 wrote:Love Yuengling, that's my everyday beer - the stuff I drink regularly, that I buy by the 12 pack or case. Yuengling opened a brewery in Tampa about 10 years ago, so we've been enjoying it down here for a while. I hear the delay on selling it in Ohio was that Yuengling wanted to build another brewery to accommodate the predicted massive increase in demand - no kidding. Them Ohio folks are a bunch of drunks. At least all my Cincy relatives are. :)
I also was just told that Yuengling passed Sam Adams as the largest American brewery.

As far as specialty beers go - Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is my favorite.

New Belgium Brewery has some good stuff. Fat Tire is pretty good, although I like their 1554 dark ale better.

I'm generally not a fan of wheat beers, but one I do like is Blue Moon.

There's a small brewery in Tampa called Cigar City Brewing. Pretty good stuff, but I don't think they're distributing outside of the state yet. They make a pretty good IPA.
It's all the Germans and Irish that settled in Cincy. In 1893, the national average for consumption was 16 gallons per year, in Cincinnati, it was 40 gallons for every man, woman or child. Christian Moerlein is about the only local brewed beer these days. After drinking beer since I was 15, I quit 10 years ago. Diabetes, meds and beer were not a good mix. :(
I agree with everything but moerlein being a local brew. All christian moerlein is brewed in PA, except for the small amount that the lager house is brewing.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Thu May 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Utah has some decent beers but you need to go to the glass house to get anything above 4.0. Squatters has a couple at 9.0 Hops Rising and Devastator. Zions makes a good " Virgin Stout " at 4.0 and Wasatch make a decent Evolution Amber ale. As stated New Belgium beers out of CO are decent - always seem to be kicking out a new one. Just to buy a good beer to have- Spaten- be it Premium Pilsner to their Optimater is excellent beer to say the least.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Fri May 18, 2012 7:15 am

Anyone have recommendations for good gluten-free beers? Going gluten-free has been tough for me as a beer lover since wheat/barley/hops=gluten. I tried Bard's, which I was not fond of. I also tried New Planet Off-Grid Pale Ale and LOVED it, but at $9.25/4 pack, there's gotta be a better option. Suggestions?

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri May 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Have you ever tried to mix your birddogs with your beer? Try some Gennessee. Gennessee Brewing Company was picked up by Bob Wehle's father when Prohibition struck and it's the financial generator that let Wehle do what he did with his dogs.

Wehles entered the picture about 1916.
http://www.geneseebeer.com/AboutUs/History
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

mydoghasfleas

Post by mydoghasfleas » Fri May 18, 2012 7:59 pm

JakeDD wrote:Anyone have recommendations for good gluten-free beers? Going gluten-free has been tough for me as a beer lover since wheat/barley/hops=gluten. I tried Bard's, which I was not fond of. I also tried New Planet Off-Grid Pale Ale and LOVED it, but at $9.25/4 pack, there's gotta be a better option. Suggestions?

JakeDD, Find yourself a friend that homebrews and see what you guys can come up with :wink: I've played around with some gluten free recipes and you can do a lot of the basics with just gluten free pale ale malt. Its a little more expensive than regular ingredients but WAY cheaper than a 10 dollar 4 pack...

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:24 am

I've been lurking here forever, but finally came across a topic where I can contribute, so I became a member. I'll try to only mention beers that haven't already been said.

Katy Trail Pale Ale - Flatbranch Brewing Co. in Columbia, MO. This one is just down the street from my house. The brewery is really small but is wildly popular here in Columbia.

Cutthroat Pale Ale - Uinta. I've only ever had this in Utah. It was without a doubt the most refreshing beer I've ever tasted. I did have after a ten mile hike, so that may have been a factor.

Breckenridge Amber Ale. Smooth and delicious.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:05 am

I've had a few more recently. Probably forgetting a couple. I'm really liking Deschutes line up of beers, besides the Chainbreaker, which I hated. Next six pack will probably be Deschutes Obsidian Stout. I also enjoyed the Hop in the Dark and Hopsession from Brau Brothers.

Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA
Deschutes Hop in the Dark
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Wild Blue
Gemini from Southern Tier Brewing
1554 Enlightened Black Ale
Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale
Brau Bros Hopsession IPA
Fargo Brewing company (Summer beer...can't remember the name)
Tommyknocker Hop Strike Black IPA
Flying Dog Snake Dog

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:32 pm

I brew my own, love it. Most recently -

Bourbon Barrel Porter - Delicious
Chocolate Milk Stout - Good
Big Honkin Stout
German Chocolate Stout
Cream Ale
Honey Brown Ale
Black IPA - Favorite
Caribou Slobber

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:20 pm

Bberry20 wrote:I brew my own, love it. Most recently -

Big Honkin Stout
German Chocolate Stout
Cream Ale
Honey Brown Ale
Black IPA - Favorite
Caribou Slobber
Delicious sounding beers my friend! Once I have a larger place I’d like to give brewing a try.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:48 am

It actually doesnt take a lot.......... stove, pot, water, fermenter, and bottles. Once in the fermenter/bottles just a cool closet to keep them in. I would highly recomend breweing. Great beer, and usually a little higher achohol content! :lol:

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:32 am

Lucky Bucket's Certified Evil is some good stuff. Here's a link that shows where you can buy http://www.luckybucketbrewing.com/buy/

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Ahhhh, man....now I'm going to have to move to MN with the rest of the Alaska Amber Ale drinkers!!! :D Started drinking it on our annual pilgrimage to Kodiak fishing for silvers. I'm not sure whether I kept going back for the salmon fishing, the Amber, or the fried halibut chunks! Thank goodness they started selling it here a couple of years ago. Now that I think about it, haven't been back to AK for salmon fishing for the last several years either....must've been going for the beer!!!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:48 pm

LincolnAlexander wrote:I tried Innis & Gunn about a year and half ago, after a day spent at a hunt test, and it has been my favorite ever since. It has a very interesting and unique flavour (it is 'aged' in barrels that were used for rum, scotch, etc) - the Original is my favorite. I have only seen it sold in singles, so don't know if you could get a six-pack (though you could buy 6 singles :))
Just bought the Rum Finished. I like the Oak Cask original the best. I bought six single and the fellow put them in one bag - can I call that a six pack?

Greek

Post by Greek » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Widmer Brothers Hefenwiezen..

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:41 am

Just picked up a sampler pack from Tallgrass Brewing Company....it includes 8-Bit, Velvet Rooster, Oasis, and Buffalo Sweat.

Liked the 8-Bit and Buffalo Sweat, the Oasis was pretty decent as well but not a real big fan of the Velvet Rooster (great name though!)

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:42 am

slistoe wrote:
LincolnAlexander wrote:I tried Innis & Gunn about a year and half ago, after a day spent at a hunt test, and it has been my favorite ever since. It has a very interesting and unique flavour (it is 'aged' in barrels that were used for rum, scotch, etc) - the Original is my favorite. I have only seen it sold in singles, so don't know if you could get a six-pack (though you could buy 6 singles :))
Just bought the Rum Finished. I like the Oak Cask original the best. I bought six single and the fellow put them in one bag - can I call that a six pack?
Looks good, might have to pick some up this week!

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Bberry20 wrote:I brew my own, love it. Most recently -

Big Honkin Stout
German Chocolate Stout
Cream Ale
Honey Brown Ale
Black IPA - Favorite
Caribou Slobber

Cool, another homebrewer :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:18 am

skyehunter nice setup!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:46 am

If anyone has a chance Hangar 24 has some darn good beer. Never open my fridge without being tempted.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 am

Had Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewing this past Sunday.....good stuff! My girlfriend made an awesome chili with some it and I polished off the rest. Chili, beer and golf....nice little Sunday!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:02 am

ultracarry wrote:If anyone has a chance Hangar 24 has some darn good beer. Never open my fridge without being tempted.
Which do you recommend?

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:34 am

Well, looks like winter is here, time to switch beers.

Any suggestions?

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Pabst! It didn't win a Blue Ribbon for nothing!!

Actually, I like Blatz too. Probably even more than PBR - Blatz is Americas great light beer.

Or a pint of Guinness. Like Mother's milk......

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:48 am

Picked up a 6’er of these last night, both real good, would recommend trying!

Bell’s Best Brown Ale
Lagunitas Brown Shugga’

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:01 pm

Kern River Brewing Company Lake Isabelle Ca
Sequoia Red

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:28 am

rkappes wrote:
ultracarry wrote:If anyone has a chance Hangar 24 has some darn good beer. Never open my fridge without being tempted.
Which do you recommend?
All of them are good but Orange wheat and amarillo pale ale are my two favorite. Also in the summer they have an apricot beer (polycot) you have to go to the redlands airport to buy. I'll buy that stuff by the growler.

http://www.hangar24brewery.com/currento ... fields.htm

The link is for the local stuff only... If I could buy a few cases to stack my fridge with I would, a keg is a pain to travel on hunting trips with.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:49 am

Make my own... My own wine too. In fact this weekend I have to bottle 72 bottles of wine.... It's ready:)

dan v

Post by dan v » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:33 am

Just got a six'er of the Maximus.......me like. :mrgreen:
Dan

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:10 am

Two must try brews....from the Lips of Faith Series Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout and Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. Both are delightful!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:54 am

UpNorthHuntin wrote:Make my own... My own wine too. In fact this weekend I have to bottle 72 bottles of wine.... It's ready:)
Awesome! What types do you make? I hope to make both down the road, I think it would be interesting and a lot of fun...and a tasty reward for all the hard work :D

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:58 am

ultracarry wrote:
rkappes wrote:
Which do you recommend?
All of them are good but Orange wheat and amarillo pale ale are my two favorite. Also in the summer they have an apricot beer (polycot) you have to go to the redlands airport to buy. I'll buy that stuff by the growler.

http://www.hangar24brewery.com/currento ... fields.htm

The link is for the local stuff only... If I could buy a few cases to stack my fridge with I would, a keg is a pain to travel on hunting trips with.
The Hangar 24 Chocolate Porter sounds good...might have to order some!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:19 am

The Hangar 24 Chocolate Porter sounds good...might have to order some!
I like it. Their Alt-bier and Columbus IPA is good also.

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:00 pm

No offense guys but can you really call what you buys drink beer? Isnt it more like barley water?

I am actually surprised noone has mentioned many Canadian brews. When I go down to Arizona to see friends I am always sure to bring down a couple flats of beer for them (Kokanee, Molson, Budlight, and a couple 6's from a micro brewery in Calgary.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:59 am

RyanGSP wrote:No offense guys but can you really call what you buys drink beer? Isnt it more like barley water?

I am actually surprised noone has mentioned many Canadian brews. When I go down to Arizona to see friends I am always sure to bring down a couple flats of beer for them (Kokanee, Molson, Budlight, and a couple 6's from a micro brewery in Calgary.
Bud Light is about the closest thing to barley water you can get...the majority of the beers listed in this thread are far from barley water. I don't mind a Kokanee or Molson from time to time.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:26 am

RyanGSP wrote:No offense guys but can you really call what you buys drink beer? Isnt it more like barley water
Well, if you consider beer thats 7%, 8%, or 9% alcohol barley water, I'd hate to see what you considered real beer.

arianamiler

Post by arianamiler » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:53 am

My favorite is Budweiser. Last year they sold about 38.7 millions barrels. It has remained my beer brand and will remain the same for the years to come.