28 gauge

madmurph

28 gauge

Post by madmurph » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:03 pm

It's been a few months since the last gun purchase and I am getting the itch again. I have been pondering a 28 gauge for some time. What is your choice, preferably no more than $1000. I would prefer one that is on a 28 gauge frame for the light weight. Only one person I have personally talked to has a 28, so I am looking to others for information. His was a Tristar, which I know is not top of the line. He is quite happy with it (won it at a banquet), and the reviews that I read have been mixed. I have not ruled out the Tristar, but would like to hear about others as well.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

Ms. Cage

Re: 28 gauge

Post by Ms. Cage » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:30 pm

CZ Ringneck on its own frame.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:40 pm

I've got a tristar gun,but I'm pretty sure it's a high end model,really really nice wood with an oil finish,it's a banquet gun of some sort as well,it's got the ducks unlimited head inlaid under the reciever,it's a 20/28 combo gun,the model is a TRSC 304,it has imported by tristar manufactured by Emillo Rizzini.

For 1k or less I'd also highly reccomend the CZ........... I have a woodcock in .410 and have shot 1000's of rounds through it at the range with zero mechanical problems,I also use it for the released pheasants that the state turns loose on this side of the mountains.A fellow I shoot with has a couple of CZ's on in 28 and another in .410,he has shot his more than I have and he has also had zero problems.The wood on them is ugly but the mechanical aspect has proven flawless.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Out of curiosity, why are you thinking about going with the 28ga?

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Out of curiosity, why are you thinking about going with the 28ga?
Because they kick arse!

Sorry MADMURPH, I couldn't contain myself. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Brazo, the honest answer I can give is because I don't have one. Although I did like Prairiefire's reply. I certainly don't need one and I don't even know how often I would use it. I have several shotguns and have even reluctantly sold a couple recently that I never use that other guys wanted to buy. I have a Franchi AL48 20 gauge that I use for grouse and woodcock and I would use the 28 on occasion in place of the Franchi.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:52 am

I have had the cz ou and the sxs both are pretty nice and scaled correctly. I call them toothpick guns. There is a Hatfield or hatfields sxs that was made a few years back that I tried to locate and buy that was lighter than the cz. Paulcrosnoeguns.com was the place I had bought both the Cz s from. Really good deals there.
I had a Tristar Diana that kept tearing o rings and malfunctioned often. After no support from the dealer that sold it to me I dumped it and lost my butt on that one. The cz s I sold for what I paid for them since I got such a good deal from Paul crosses. I kept a sxs 28 from an unknown maker out of Eibar Spain. I have always found the guns from that religion to be the best available. I think it's been a couple years since I shot it last.

I bought my kid an al48 20 ga he loves that gun. I could imagine that gun in a 28 if it's made true to scale

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:18 am

I have a CZ o/u and a CZ sxs and have never had a problem out of either. I have been very happy with them.

winchestermodel50

Post by winchestermodel50 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:41 am

I have had a Remington Premier O/U, and currently have two Remington 1100 Sporting Clays and a CZ Ringneck SxS and an SKB GC7 O/U. I have shot the Franchi auto and Beretta O/U's, so I have had some experience. The lighter guns have as much recoil as a heavy kicking 20 gauge just because they are lighter than a 20 gauge. They can give you a sharp wrap despite the small gauge. 28 gauge has probably become my favorite gauge for informal shooting and my preference of everything I have tried is the Remington 1100. The extra weight and gas action on that gun almost completely negates recoil. That is a luxury to be experienced.
I would rate it as the best gauge for beginning shooters because of it's potency and yet light recoil. Unless you have deep pockets, you need to reload for this gun because of the price of ammunition. It does use noticeably less components to do so than the larger gauges. It is actually a good pheasant gun over pointing dogs when using 1 oz. loads. My experience with women and young shooters is that longer barrel length bothers them more than stock length. I prefer longer barrels myself due to the longer sighting plane but have really never had a problem with 26" barrels. I do prefer a 26" barrel in light gauge semi-autos, especially for hunting. Don't hesitate to try one, they are an amazingly potent and pleasurable gun to shoot.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:28 pm

I really like my Legacy 28. As a matter of fact I just got home about an hour ago from streching her legs around the skeet field. :D

The thing about a 28 is that if you plan to shoot them very much at all you need to reload or be independantly wealthy. They cost a fortune to shoot factory ammunition through. However if you purchase a reloader and have a way of procuring hulls you can shoot them for next to nothing... A pound of powder and 25# of 8's will go ALONG LONG way loading 28 gauge shells.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:12 am

I too have the itch for a 28. Doves ,pigeons and grouse would be the target. I have a Tri Star 20 gauge O/U (hunter series)and it is one of the lightest guns I have ever held.I have trouble believing it is the advertized 6 lbs. The 28 is advertized to be under 5 lbs. I have been running 3" waterfowl loads through my 20 and have not had problems yet but the gun doesn't fit me quite right and shoots a bit low. Since this is a field gun and does not get babied I don't worry about the stocks too much.

CacaoandNilla

Post by CacaoandNilla » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:18 pm

I've been thinking about picking up a 28 as well. I was hoping to pick up a cheap one if I could then get a better one down the road but so far they all seem expensive

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:43 pm

"28 Gauge" & "Cheap" go together like "Rattlesnake" and "Cuddly" :lol:
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS