vestibular disease

Sharon
GDF Junkie

vestibular disease

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Anyone have any experience with "old dog vestibular disease?"
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: vestibular disease

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:22 pm

From what I have read it is a syndrome and most dogs recover without any real treatment.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:26 am

We had an old girl that had several episodes. We thought the first one was a stroke but then learned from our vet. Our dog recovered from her attacks, and was almost 16 when she died from something other than the vestibular issues.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:59 am

I have with Chloe. She has had 2 acute episodes and she does have some chronic balance issues now. I keep meclizine (non-drowsy dramamine) on hand all the time. This is the only way to help alleviate some of the symptoms.

During an acute episode, when I am not home, I keep her in a confined space with water right next to her. She gets one 25mg meclizine every 12 hrs. I also walk her with a sling. Normally, the symptoms are 75% better the day after starting meds.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:47 am

Thank you very much for the information.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dr tim

Post by dr tim » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:49 am

I believe these dogs do benefit from an injection of dexamethasone IV shortly after seeing this occur. Like with in hours. Sometimes it seems to make a big difference so a trip to the vet can be helpful if done soon after the signs develop.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:26 pm

As mentioned, motionsickness and anti nausia drugs make a big difference. A thorough ear cleaning from the vet (who can sedated and thoroughly flush deep inside and can verify the ear drum is intact etc...) and time and supportive care. Most recover well if they can beat the nausaua and dehydration from vomiting and not eating.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:56 pm

It's been about 2 weeks and he is better but not his old self yet.
I've used gravol as we don't have non drowsy dramamine in Canada.
Dog has lost a lot of weight as he isn't much interested in his food.
I've had to serve some people's food just to get him to eat at all.
Hope it doesn't re occur.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:17 am

Try some canned cat food.

With my old girl, I used the nystagmus as a gauge; as the eye movement resolved, she perked up considerably. But she didn't regain much of the weight she lost. It's hard to see the old ones so skinny.

Best wishes for continued improvement.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:15 pm

Meclazine helps.

See if your vet can get Cerenia. It stimulates appetite and stops nausea.

BIGFISH0131

Post by BIGFISH0131 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:44 pm

I am not familiar with the dogs ear but I assume its similar to the human ear. I spent 8 yrs as an audiologist and a very common vestibular issues was BPPV. I don't know if its common in dogs like it is with people but basically the crystals in the inner ear become dislodged and float freely in the vestibular canals. It's a simple procedure to cure in people by putting the head in specific positions in order to resettle the crystals in the proper position. Its called the eply procedure and is repeated three times over three weeks or until cured. In people it cures approx 90% of patients with dizzy spells. It would be difficult to perform on a dog that is awake but it is worth asking the vet about if its a possible cause in dogs.