llewellin setter pup

deke

llewellin setter pup

Post by deke » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Looking for recommendations on a breeder for a lew pup, or started youngin. Looking for smaller dogs, preferable around 40lbs, tri-color a bonus but not necessary. Also, what are good lines? Not very familiar with setters. Any help would be awesome. Also, im looking for one to hunt pheasant and quail, how are these dogs on this, i have never seen a good one out hunting?

Winchey

Re: llewellin setter pup

Post by Winchey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Why do you want a llew if you know nothing about them and have never seen a good one?

deke

Post by deke » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:25 pm

there are several reasons, Me and the old lady have been looking at adding a new pup to the mix, my old lab is getting worse and worse after each hunt. He is still recooping from opening pheasant which was on the 20th. I want a pointer, because we are hunting alot of quail now, and those suckers get up very fast when you dont know it is coming. We were thinking a gsp, turns out the lady gets hives from short haired dogs, but not long haired ones. Which landed me dead center in the setter catagory, which i know nothing about.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:31 pm

I just wouldn't limit it strictly to llews is all. Just seems like a handicap. There are lots of nice setters out there. I know nothing about pheasants or quail though.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:35 pm

not strictly looking for a llew, not a huge fan of gordons, I would consider a good red setter.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:40 pm

I was just thinking more coverdog, or other trial bread english. Bigger gene pool/more choice.

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:44 pm

Winchey wrote:I just wouldn't limit it strictly to llews is all. Just seems like a handicap. There are lots of nice setters out there.
I would agree with Winchey, don't limit yourself. There are a lot of good breeds that would fit the bill. But there is nothing wrong with a Llew. Would you be interested in an Epagneul Breton (French Brittany)?
If so, ohmymy111 (Mark Dinsmore with L'Etoile du Nord Kennel) was recently talking about a litter. I have a couple other Kennels that you could try too. Let me know. I don't have any info on Llews though...

Good luck!
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

deke

Post by deke » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:08 pm

quacker: Not a huge brittany fan, french or otherwise, thanks for the suggestion though.

What is the difference between llewellin, cover, and trial?

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:41 pm

http://fosteraward.com/Essays%20from%20 ... wo_Setters:__

Coverdog are dogs that compete in Grouse and Woodcock trials in the woods. The other trials are walking shooting dog, horseback shooting dog, and all age horseback. They are all more or less the same dogs to a certain degree, just bread geared towards their specific venue and sometimes interchangeable. The article above should give you an idea about the Llews. Then there are the bigger setters, Show type, Rymans, Blue Beltons that are different from the trial dogs and Llews as well.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Very good article. So, a few questions, Lets take llewellins out of the picture and just say english setters for now. Where would be a good place to start looking for a hard hunting dog? What are good lines? We hunt very open ground in eastern Washington, do certain lines have more run in them?

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Pretty green myself, mostly familiar with coverdogs. http://www.settersunlimited.com/index.aspx should be a good start, have heard great things about hytest and berg bros. I would love to try a hytest skyhawk dog up here in the grouse woods. A fella up here guides with his hytest female and loves her.

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:48 pm

I would'nt be so quick to take the Lew's out of the equasion just yet; I've seen some pretty good Lew's, just worked with some yesterday with Moulder, Nice dogs and good breeding, hard running and wanting to please, so don't abandon to easily!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:51 pm

You might look at Tekoa Mountain setters in Oregon, or Rich Robertson's kennels in Idaho.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:03 pm

The llewellins are a great breed . I have owned hunted & sold 34 puppys in the last 7 yrs 32 of them I have gotten e mails calls or letters from & thanked me for there puppy . They are a part of there family loved by owners which have children . They love to hunt , point ,back & retreve, plus stay close but take in a lot of ground so you can see you dog hunt not hunt your dog . my female did not take do to the hot hot summer acording to my vet. but expect a litter early spring plus know several other breeders check my web sight www.llewellinsetter-mouldersfarm.info

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:30 pm

I have some good english setter pups that are 14 months old,I hunt the same place that you do,intalco,BP and Lake terrell,I do not go hunting there until well past noon.Two saturdays ago I went at 3:10 and found 5 birds before quittng time,I shot my second rooster at 3:53.We have been hunting one of the pups(one I gave to my buddy who helped raise them) quite a bit and he handles and hunts like an adult dog,I've seen the same llews you have and you are correct they are not very good,Mostly in part because they are handler/training impaired,two of them that you are seeing are the product of a brother/sister accidental mating.I have a couple of references from the pups I sold.One gentleman called me two weeks ago giddy with glee because his female pup pointed chukars,pheasants and quail all in the same day and made a 200 yard retrieve to hand on a sailling chukar,again this is a 14 month old pup.He's owned setters for 40 years and told me this pup is the best one he has owned at this age,she acts like an adult dog.I'm picking up the other four I still have from puppy camp in eastern washington this weekend,they have been being run on wild birds for 2 months at the trainers,The trainer with 30+ years pro training under his belt has a pretty high opinion of them too stating that they are acting more like adult dogs than pups or even derbies.He helped me select the dam for the litter.It was bred on style,easiness of training and it's retention(both parents matured very early for setters,both were dead broke at just over a year) Noses and HUNT.The sire is in the trainers top ten of all time dogs for field trial handled dogs,he won an awful lot for how much he was run,30+ placements in AKC,CKC and AF SD qualified.These are little dogs weight wise,the sire is a little bit at just 37 pounds,the pups range from 35 on the females to 45 on the males.I actually have a Tekoa dog that is 18 months old,if you would care to have a look and decide for yourself I'd be more than happy to brace them together for you to form your own opinion.We would however not be going afield for the early morning cast and blast fiasco,I do not partake in that.You can do the shooting so long as you follow my instructions,we will not shoot birds that are not pointed.For an insight as to what the Sire has won click the link on the bottom of my post.I hunt the release sites as a precursor to eastern washington and South dakota hunting,I've gunned Pheasant's ,quail,and huns over these dogs I don't particularly care for chukar hunting because I'm a nancy boy I guess,quail in Yakima is more my style.I consider them to be gundogs and a gundog to me is casts out to 500 yards.
The Dam which is a winner and a dog I've hunted at the release sites
ImageThe sire

If a red dog is your desire I think I've given you the guy's name here locally who has them,all bearcat , desperado and clancy O'ryan blood,his kennel is located on the NRSFTC site, Burgandy Lane kennels.Heres one of his from a training session.PM me or look at red setter website for his number.The pups advertised on the intalco board are directly related to his dogs.Red delicous on this site has bred to a stud from the kennel as well.
Last edited by Wildweeds on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:38 pm

If I was in the market for a Llew. I'd contact High Cotton Kennels. Check their website.

Loganmike

Post by Loganmike » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:49 pm

I have a ES out of Bar Lee setters in Bend, Or. His line is a Tekoa line. I can not be happier with little Lucy. About 28 lbs and quite the personality.

Larry is a top notch guy.

Sorry this is my first post but had to register and say how happy I am with Lucy and my whole relationship w the breeder.

You can look them up!

Cheers
Me
Kinda like round's funny?

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:50 pm

CHJIII wrote:If I was in the market for a Llew. I'd contact High Cotton Kennels. Check their website.

Charles is among the best there is with Llewellins.

My pup Indy is from Charles. We just got back from Montana last week where he pointed Sharptail, Huns, Pheasants and Sage grouse at 16 months of age. I hunted over him at 7 months last fall.

Steve

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:00 pm

That's a DANDY Setternut!

Fester

Post by Fester » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:03 pm

I know alot of ppl that went to Llewellins and will never look back including myself, I have and hunt 5 of them now, there are several good breeders now so look around
Fester

Fester

Post by Fester » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:08 pm

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:29 am

deke wrote:Very good article. So, a few questions, Lets take llewellins out of the picture and just say english setters for now. Where would be a good place to start looking for a hard hunting dog? What are good lines? We hunt very open ground in eastern Washington, do certain lines have more run in them?
I'd suggest Jim Gourley out of Kansas. He has a hard running, very good line of setters for the type of hunting you want to do.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:49 am

Loganmike wrote:I have a ES out of Bar Lee setters in Bend, Or. His line is a Tekoa line. I can not be happier with little Lucy. About 28 lbs and quite the personality.

Larry is a top notch guy.

Sorry this is my first post but had to register and say how happy I am with Lucy and my whole relationship w the breeder.

You can look them up!

Cheers
Me
I also have a setter from Larry and she's fantastic. Gertie is also pretty small (35 lbs.), leggy, and is as birdy as they come. All dogs are different of course but, with that said, this one is a go-getter in the field and a piece of furniture in the house. She's never chewed a thing she wasn't supposed to and has trained up really well for me and I'm a first time pointing breed owner (i.e. not a clue what I'm doing). Definitely a little soft though so patience is key. All-in-all a real nice little dog. Like I said, it's all an individual dog thing but I've heard similar comments from other owners of this particular guy's dogs. Also, I think Larry is taking deposits on a litter right now. If you're interested PM me and I'll shoot you his contact information.

Also, take a look at Gert's pedigree if you'd like to get a feel for his line. Gertie's litter was a bit experimental on the sire's side (sire came from Robertson Kennels field trial lines) but the dam is a sister to the bitch this litter will be out of. The sire of the litter is a dog named 'Ace' that is from Tekoa Mtn. lines and is a really nice hunting dog. Hope that helps. Good luck.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:30 am

Gertie is basically a Smith/Sunrise cross...Both great lines.