Garmin vs. Tracker - tracking collars

Retiredbirddogman

Garmin vs. Tracker - tracking collars

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Any strong opinions one way or the other on Garmin vs. Tracker tracking collars?
Thanks.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Garmin vs. Tracker - tracking collars

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:02 am

I run gps chips in my Garmin. Whenever that unit is on and tracking, I can see on a topographical map EXACTLY where I and the dog are. That, to me, is invaluable. Can't do that with the Tracker.

I also don't like the Trackers method of switching stimulation on the dog.

As far as I can see, the Tracker is not a lot different than running the dog with a beeper.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:37 am

LOVE my Garmin. Haven't tried the other...

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:22 am

It depends what you are using it for. For hunting the Garmin is great. For field trails, I'd use a tracker. The tracker has a lot longer batery life. I've seen quite a few people lose dogs at field trials, and pull out the Garmin, and not get any signal at all.

Sounds like the new Garmin offers more range via a longer antanna. New screens and software look pretty cool.

Doug

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:29 am

gonehuntin' wrote
I also don't like the Trackers method of switching stimulation on the dog.

As far as I can see, the Tracker is not a lot different than running the dog with a beeper
Trackers don't offer stimulation.

A tracker is a lot different than a beeper. You're not gonna hear that beeper much past 200 yards. I have found dogs at 1 to 2 miles with a tracker. Trackers only make noise at the remote, not on the dog. Much easier to go stealth.

Doug

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks for the input.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:43 pm

The reason the garmin won't pick up when asked for at the trial is because its not being used as designed.

The Garmin was not meant to be turned off then turned on like is asked at trails. If you turn it on, acquire the collars then leave it on there is no problem. The problem lies when judges or the folks who wrote the rules didn't understand how the system is supposed to work.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

azwoodsman

Post by azwoodsman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:36 pm

I don't know much about the tracker but I do own a 320 astro and I love it. one of the neat things is getting back from a hunt and downloading you and your dog's tracks on base camp you can see how your dog hunted and what area's he covered lots of other neat stuff on the hand held I have not had a problem with mine.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:40 pm

I use both. I use the garmin, more for data collection, when hunning dogs ( how far and what are they doing) If i truely have a dog lost I would rather have my tracker on them. I havn;t used my garmin enough to really have a good feel for how it works. Out of state hunting or trialing a dog I would go to my tracker first.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:38 pm

For the majority of people an Astro is the way to go, to find a truly lost dog I would take a tracker hands down. The newer long range antenna works well on the Astro and you can pick up dogs quite a ways out. If you are a hunter and your dogs range moderately in open country you should have no issues, broken country with big running dogs the tracker comes in handy but does not have all the neat features. Bottom line if a big runner gets away in my country you will wish you had a tracker.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Since they both use Rf, the difference in range is the antenna, you can buy a long range garmin antenna that some report 20+ miles.

coveydogs

Post by coveydogs » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:45 pm

cjuve wrote:For the majority of people an Astro is the way to go, to find a truly lost dog I would take a tracker hands down. The newer long range antenna works well on the Astro and you can pick up dogs quite a ways out. If you are a hunter and your dogs range moderately in open country you should have no issues, broken country with big running dogs the tracker comes in handy but does not have all the neat features. Bottom line if a big runner gets away in my country you will wish you had a tracker.
Yep! Plus the trackers have a battery life of 500 hours... you lose a dog overnight with a garmin on dont expect the unit to have power enough to search much the next day (17 hour battery life on highest refresh rate and a full battery). Lost dog you want a tracker, all the cool features make you want a garmin.
Neil wrote:Since they both use Rf, the difference in range is the antenna, you can buy a long range garmin antenna that some report 20+ miles.
There is still a difference, even if the signal is not strong enough to hear the beep, the tracker will make a tiny click for you to know what direction to go; that same weak signal might not be something the garmin could translate into a direction for you.

All that being said I have a garmin, my pups check back in pretty well and only one ranges to the ends of the earth. Depends on what you want, how you hunt, where you hunt, how big your dogs run etc etc.