Moesgaard Dog's

Ahumphers91a

Moesgaard Dog's

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:09 pm

Alright folks, I have been contacted by the husband of the great great grand daughter of the man who bred and owned Moesgaard's IB in Denmark before he sold him and the name to the man in the USA who bought IB. He's told me a -lot about IB and the "Moesgaard" farm. He's going to send me pictures of IB and his ancestors when he's back in town from his business trip. I thought it was awesome that he wanted to know what happened ti IB and the "Moesgaard" line.
Thought i'd share :D

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Moesgaard Dog's

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Okay.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Toot Toot
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:14 pm

I had Moesgaard shorthairs. absolutely loved them. Mostly white and athletic as could be. Easy to train. years ago I saw photo's of IB,m Tell and Dandy
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:26 pm

Boy, he sure was offended when I said lot's of people think the Moesgaard dog's have Pointer...LOL, he then said the only one he knew of that had the pointer infusion was the solid black perusian pointer. Pretty cool though, just gotta wait for the pic's.
Edit: Hessian Pointer

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:41 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:Boy, he sure was offended when I said lot's of people think the Moesgaard dog's have Pointer...LOL, he then said the only one he knew of that had the pointer infusion was the solid black perusian pointer. Pretty cool though, just gotta wait for the pic's.
Comming from......????.... ?????

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:54 pm

The people the comment was from? Well you can scan many boards and read people saying that, i've read a few boards that way. I don't believe this, the Old Danish Pointer was white and liver. Just sayin', not wanting to open that thread again :lol:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:23 pm

The solid black was from English Arkwright pointers. I believe the Danish dogs diverged very early in the breed. Ib was an awfully ugly, poorly built (by modern standards) dog. Of his descendents, probably Ruffy is the most often found and I believe he was so heavily linebred as to have every sireline terminate in Ib. The AKC denied kennel registration to the Moeagaard prefix because it was so widely used, even though most of the prefixed dogs originated with the same breeder.
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:51 pm

Yeah, moesgaard farm is still in his wifes family. I guess they had sold the kennel name with ib. But yes, ruffy, fieldacres ib and dandy were all products of father daughter, and fieldacres ib was father daughter and that daughter back to father again. Very inbred, very close. But it is what it is and moesgaards ib three to producing and s successful sons are ruffy, fieldacres ib and dandy. I will post the pics as soon as I get them. He basically asked me what happened to ib.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 pm

My husband was telling me that some consider the last true Moesgaard breeding was Dee Dee Jackson to Big Oaks Bumper.
Last edited by Ms. Cage on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:18 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:My husband was telling me that some consider the last true Moesgaard breeding was Dee Dee Jackson to Big Oaks Bumper.

Probably no more so than Dee Dee Jackson to Big Oaks Lady Blue.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:08 pm

I do not know much history as you guys on this forum, but on what I have been reading I like the Danish dogs and I now have a dog from Charles Rose with van moesgaard in the pedigree ....

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:39 pm

DonF wrote:I had Moesgaard shorthairs. absolutely loved them. Mostly white and athletic as could be. Easy to train. years ago I saw photo's of IB,m Tell and Dandy
Howie spent some time with Dean Kerl and Tell. Dean retired and moved to northern Minnesota. The hubby says, Tell was a good looking boy even at the age when he got to know Tell.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:38 am

That is very cool to have contact with the past like that.

As I remember, understand, read somewhere and was told to me. The white in the Danish Kennels is the same as was in the German Kennels (Same dogs). During the era Of Hilter, Either Goering or Goobels was In charge of German breeding standards of animals. They were culling all the predominately white, trying to get to the roan dogs as the standard, not sure about the liver. The Danish Kennels were the safe haven for the dogs of the White. There were a few large kennels that bred as such and helped save those dogs.

My Mercy dog had many back dogs of Mosegaards, My best dog ever.

Any way been a while since I got this informaton Hopefully remembered somewhat correctly.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:30 pm

That's pretty much how I interpreted it. But also was told there was a ODP (Old Danish Pointer) before the white dog's were brought over. They were less the nose and less the retrievers as the German dog's. They had been crossed for the reason for nose and water retrieve. I was told the ODP had bigger run and pattern but less nose.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:41 pm

One of my husbands early dogs was Moesgaard blood and others had moesgaard behind them. Nose and retrieve was as good as anything we have today. What the earlier moesgaard in his opinion lacked was water strength compared to his dogs today.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:50 am

i heard that someone in Colorado has the rights and or is using the Moessgard name again. i have been unable to verify that though. Look forward to hearing the story and seeing old pics from this gentleman.
Take Care
Pete

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:56 pm

Cant wait to hear the story. I have heard but not confirmed that someone in Colorado is using or has the rights to the Moesgaard name, anyone know if that is true.
Take Care
Pete

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Moesgardini and yes it is Colorado.......
I believe there are a few other folks using the Moesgaard name.

P&PGunsmith wrote:Cant wait to hear the story. I have heard but not confirmed that someone in Colorado is using or has the rights to the Moesgaard name, anyone know if that is true.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:24 pm

P&PGunsmith wrote:i heard that someone in Colorado has the rights and or is using the Moessgard name again. i have been unable to verify that though. Look forward to hearing the story and seeing old pics from this gentleman.
Anybody can use the moesgarrd name ,the only one that was a registered kennel was Moesgarrds Dandy"s Kennel

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:59 pm

If you guys go to my page, I have posted one pix of moesgaards ib. Still awaiting more pics. It's under the dogs of the past page. Click moesgaards ib link

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:24 pm

here's the old pic of IB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:16 pm

How can you not mention Moesgaard's Coco?? NFC HOF and a producer.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:52 pm

That photo doesn't make him any prettier.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:02 pm

BigShooter wrote:
Ms. Cage wrote:My husband was telling me that some consider the last true Moesgaard breeding was Dee Dee Jackson to Big Oaks Bumper.

Probably no more so than Dee Dee Jackson to Big Oaks Lady Blue.
Probably not, it produced Heidi if anybody is counting, and as she was a great dog for Lee in her own right and agreed a great representative of what my opinion of the true Moesgaard dogs were, other than being bred to Willie who else was she bred to and what did she produce?

Bumper to Jackson IMO was the last true great Moesgaard breeding........

Agreed Coco should always be in the talk, as well as Dandy...
I must admit I have an old pic of Bumper that I must say I absolutely love.....Not only was she a great producer but a fine looking shorthair if I must say so....

Tammy,
Ask Howie what he thought of Tell. As nice a dog and producer as he was he was extremely smart but a bit weird, a little standoffish IMO.....
Not sure how else to put it, but He will know what I mean....

Where is Vern when ya need him......... :wink:

Thanks

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:23 pm

http://www.google.com/search?q=moesgaar ... 00&bih=730

That link will get you a few photos of Moesgaard dogs these are the same pics as in Mckowen book which is pretty good. Link Below.

I had a moesgaard dog back in the day and it did it all water, fur, had run and a choke bore nose.....

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Germ ... 0876051492

Cajun Casey beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :roll: :roll:
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:21 pm

I am not familiar with the moesgaard line or, for that matter, with any of the main GSP lines per se. But I may be able to offer some background information on the Old Danish Pointer and its relationship to the GSP.

First of all, we need to remember that Germany and Denmark are neighbours, but they have not always been on good terms. In fact they fought a couple of pretty nasty wars over the disputed territories of Schleswig and Holstein in the mid to late 1800s (right about the time the various German versatile breeds were being created). Nevertheless, in both countries hunters eventually achieved their goal of creating native breeds of pointing dogs: the GSP (and others) in Germany and the Old Danish Pointer in Denmark.

The GSP went on to become one of the most popular breeds on the planet. And over the last century and a half, its look and hunting style have been modified to varying degrees by breeders in different countries. But the Old Danish Pointer (which was actually developed somewhat earlier than the GSP) never really did catch on; even today, it is still mainly confined to its homeland. And the fact that it has not really changed much from its early design - it still looks and works much like it did in the late 1800s - offers us a fascinating hint that maybe, just maybe it contributed more than many people think to the early development of the GSP.

Have a look at this graphic I put together. The similarities between the early GSPs and the modern Old Danish Pointer are, to say the least, striking.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:34 pm

northern cajun wrote:http://www.google.com/search?q=moesgaar ... 00&bih=730

That link will get you a few photos of Moesgaard dogs these are the same pics as in Mckowen book which is pretty good. Link Below.

I had a moesgaard dog back in the day and it did it all water, fur, had run and a choke bore nose.....

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Germ ... 0876051492

Cajun Casey beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :roll: :roll:
And ugly goes all the way to the bone. Considering most of my dogs have a high number of terminations to IB, I have to say I do like the foundation. I just wish it didn't undelie such a homely structure in many cases. :)

I'm kind of a bloodline junkie and it is amazing to see certain physical traits that have come down through generations, like the IB rear structure and the Tell head.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:59 am

Northern Cajun, yes,the old and original lined Moesgaard dog's were supposed to do it all as well. Fur, water etc. From what Jacob in Denmark told me ( he's the husband of Niels Hykkelbjerg great grand daughter) they were a-lot faster on the ground but less efficient with there noses. However, he contacted me because he wanted to find out what ever came of IB... and the truth is as everyone knows, regardless of how he looked etc... HE PRODUCED. He was pleased to hear this, but disappointed to find out there is not one true line anymore. As in Denmark and Germany they breed once a year, and the breeding's are very selective. I am keeping contact with him as he knows a couple guys in Denmark that he says has dog's from the Danish lines that have recently received KS titles. Maybe an import is in order? :lol:

larue

Post by larue » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:20 pm

my old hiedi bitch,who lived until 17 had bumper jackson behind her like 4 times.She was a lightly build bitch who looked alot like lb.Not great looking by the truck,but could she just move like the wind.
Btw,she just loved water and duck hunting.Even at 17 she still went swimming in our pond.
Nothing like getting a chance top talk to where our breed was before.

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:14 pm

I looked in the yearbook at the hall of fame picture of IB,man I would love to own a dog that looked like that!....vern

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:41 am

:lol: Vern the youngsters don't realise that the old timers didn't set their dogs up to their best advantage back in the day,so if they are just standing there unalert & uninterested they are not at their best advantage
photo genicaly.I think IB was a nice looking animal aswell as most of the Moesgarrd dogs were.
But these are the conformation type of dogs I stll like to look at today!! :D

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Casey I liked the way Tell's head looked.

Post a couple of pics of your pooches for us to look at.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote::lol: Vern the youngsters don't realise that the old timers didn't set their dogs up to their best advantage back in the day,so if they are just standing there unalert & uninterested they are not at their best advantage
photo genicaly.I think IB was a nice looking animal aswell as most of the Moesgarrd dogs were.
But these are the conformation type of dogs I stll like to look at today!! :D

Well Said.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:11 pm

I personally love the look of the Old Moesgaard dog's...Especially Moesgaards IB, Moesgaards Dandy and FC Tell. All my current dog's have the look, as there whole foundation is from the crosses of Moesgaard with Tip Top Timmy, Boss man, Dandy Dude etc. with little dashes here and there of "German" dog's.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:31 pm

northern cajun wrote:Casey I liked the way Tell's head looked.

Post a couple of pics of your pooches for us to look at.
I'm okay with Tell's head, although not crazy about it. I thought he had a rather bitchy head, but the only photo extant is of poor quality in pose.

Are you on Facebook? I use a Sony video camera for still shots and this forum hates it. I'm not file savvy, although I seriously need to take a class as much as I shoot. I'll try to send you some links, if you like. Of course, right now Sony hates Facebook, so I'm sunk there. I have an assortment, from my five generations home grown bunch to some more recent additions. My Ricky son is possibly the ugliest shorthair to ever live, but I like him.

This is one of mine. He was getting yelled at. I don't like his head, which he gets from his paternal grandmother who was RRB/Teton/Lemschlog. Momma is Rusty/Sport/DK blood. Goat eyes. Hate 'em. His name is Rufus.

Last edited by Cajun Casey on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 pm

He's got Moesgaard blood.

So does he.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:59 am

Cajun Casey wrote:I'm okay with Tell's head, although not crazy about it. I thought he had a rather bitchy head, but the only photo extant is of poor quality in pose.
My husband spent some tome with Dean and Tell back in the 80's and thought Tell was a looker with a nice head. Chip, Tell was a stand offish when you first meet him. Once Tell got to know you he was your buddy.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:30 am

I have two pic's of tell. On my web-site. here's the good quality one: http://nextgenerationgermanshorthairs.n ... HoF%20Tell the other is his pedigree pic and is kinda blury