Problem with new dog

chuckanut

Problem with new dog

Post by chuckanut » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:31 am

So I went ahead and adopted a 2 year old GSP. All-in-all he's a good dog, very well socialized and has good manners. The big problem I've got is his recall and his tendancy to bolt. The front door opens and he turns into a completely different dog, tries to push out the door and, once he's out, it's next to impossible to catch him. He took off yesterday and I found him about 2 miles away. Also, I took him out to the field where I train my other dog and he did the same thing. I chased him around for an hour before I finally caught him. I'm trying to be patient but I'm not going to lie, I was pissed :evil: . Any suggestions? I'm working on recall but the thing is, he does it perfectly in the house and back yard. Advice is appreciated.

brad27

Re: Problem with new dog

Post by brad27 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:36 am

You need a longer checkcord. (ecollar)

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:37 am

Keep him on a leash/check cord until his reliability is 100%. Conduct your training in a variety of locations. Start teaching whoa and use it at the door; both coming in and going out. Reinforce this by using the half hitch around the flank to prevent bolting out the door.

As you have found, chasing is going to do no good. At a point it becomes a game and it sounds like the dog is winning.

A few thoughts...

Jay
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

joachimt

Post by joachimt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:55 am

Have you ever tried an ecollar? works wonders. Just make sure before using it he knows what come means. when using the collar start with very light stimulation. Give him the stimulation first then call him in (have a checkcord on him when doing this). If he doesnt respond pull him to you. The second he turns and is coming toward you release the stimulation (he thinks coming to you turned the stimulation off). Do this a number of times. Cured this problem with both my dogs in a couple days!!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:18 pm

Get into the habit of always making the dog wait for you to leave the house first and have a release command associated with going out the door. I just slam the door right in the dogs face every time he tries to leave the house before me or without my permission. After doing that a few times the dog will stand there realizing that the door is just going to hit him in the nose if her tries to bolt. Then you can release him and let him out the door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Try getting the dog to like you first. You have to be better than what's "out there." It takes a while. I used Susan Garrett's method for my recall refusal dog.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

chuckanut

Post by chuckanut » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:28 pm

brad27 wrote:You need a longer checkcord. (ecollar)
I tried the ecollar but he doesn't seem to get it. I had it on low stim. and he stopped, sat down and started scratching it :roll: He just has no clue what I want. I've started teaching 'here' in the house and will move it to the back yard and eventually to the field. Maybe once he knows what I'm after he'll understand the correction and things will progress a little smoother. I'm just going to have to be patient I think. It's one thing to teach a little puppy and a whole other thing to teach a strong willed dog. I sure do like him though.

chuckanut

Post by chuckanut » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Your advice is always helpful.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:55 pm

chuckanut wrote:
I tried the ecollar but he doesn't seem to get it. I had it on low stim. and he stopped, sat down and started scratching it :roll: He just has no clue what I want. I've started teaching 'here' in the house and will move it to the back yard and eventually to the field. Maybe once he knows what I'm after he'll understand the correction and things will progress a little smoother. I'm just going to have to be patient I think. It's one thing to teach a little puppy and a whole other thing to teach a strong willed dog. I sure do like him though.
Are you following a training method? Smith, West, Hickox etc

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:16 pm

chuckanut wrote:
Think you answered your question. If he doesn't know what you want, you will never get him to do it, not even with an ecollar. The comments above are in the right direction. You need to pick a method and stick to it. Good luck, and I hope he comes around. Sounds like you like him and gave him a second chance. Give him time.

Joe

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:44 pm

How long have you had the dog?

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Invest in an e-collar

chuckanut

Post by chuckanut » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:08 pm

I've only had him a few days. I know I need to bond with him and chill out a little bit, sounds like he's been bounced around quite a bit and nobody has taught him a dang thing. I was just really frustrated when I wrote the original post. He's a lot more dog than I'm used to. I suppose I should just be glad that he's as well mannered in the house as he is. I used Smith program on my pup and plan to do the same for this one.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:29 pm

chuckanut wrote:I've only had him a few days. I know I need to bond with him and chill out a little bit, sounds like he's been bounced around quite a bit and nobody has taught him a dang thing. I was just really frustrated when I wrote the original post. He's a lot more dog than I'm used to. I suppose I should just be glad that he's as well mannered in the house as he is. I used Smith program on my pup and plan to do the same for this one.
Like you said, just bond with him. Be his best friend for the next month or so. Love on him. Then start working with him.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:24 am

sounds like you have a dog that has never been taught basic house manners. Not a huge problem, just takes a bit of time, patience and consistency on your part.

As was said, he needs to learn an open door is not an invitation to bolt. Put his leash on, and bring him to a closed door. Give him a little tug on the collar, tell him wait, and open the door slightly. If he moves toward the door, shut it, correct him, tell him wait. Make him back away by walking into him.

Do it again, and again, and again until he gets it and stands still when the door is opened. Get him to relax and understand the door will open, close, open close etc. Open that door, and leave it open and continue to make him back away from it. He can look out, but not step out!

Once that is accomplished (really shouldn't take more then 5-10 min) you open the door and step outside. Again, he is not allowed to move toward the doorway until he is asked to. Once that is accomplished, let him walk out but make him wait on the step until he relaxes.

Practice till he understands the concept and walks out relaxed. Keep the lead on him so you have a way to collect and correct him. Everyone in your household needs to practice this with the dog, everyone must understand the concept. If you follow the above, your dog should be standing in front of an open door and waiting in no time at all. Take the fun away from the door, make it a routine, no different then them crashing out of their crate when the door is open! Or chasing birds. Routine, show him what is expected and reward him for the making the right decisions.

Door bolters end up as road kill! Good luck, patience!!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Northwoods

Post by Northwoods » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:46 am

never chase the dog, only makes it a game. i had real good success with actually running away from my lab to get her to come. she didn't like me running away and would come running right to me. a fenced in baseball diamond is a good place to let the dog rip and tear and then practice the recall command.