Welding

DogNewbie

Welding

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:40 am

For those welders out there. How'd you get started/learn to weld. It's always been something that interested me but never had an opportunity to learn. Is it pretty easy to pick up?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Welding

Post by topher40 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:59 am

I started in High School in shop class, its really pretty easy but you need someone that can teach you the basics. The rest is really technique and practice.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:07 am

I am not a welder by trade nor do I earn a living at welding but I learned in High School. And also had a job that required me to weld off and on.

MIG welding is fairly easy as long as your not trying to do anything too fancy.

You could take a night class at a local VoTech school and in a few short weeks learn to weld about anything you will need to weld around the house/farm.

But for those of you who weld for a living my hat goes off to you guys. Those guys can do some amazing stuff with a welder. Waaay beyond what my capabilities could or would ever be.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:14 am

Joining the Navy.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:19 pm

cleanliness, fixturing ,body position, heat control and an understanding of the metals you are welding to me are your basics. But like anything else it can get very complicated, if you are interested local community colleges usually have classes to get you started that are not that expensive that's what i did.With the job i have now my boss used to build race car chassis and he has helped me tremendously.

MNeric

Post by MNeric » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 pm

I'm a pipe fitters apprentice, so I don't officially weld much yet, but I'm working on it. I took a few welding classes at the local community college and got into the apprenticeship. I've learned most of what I know up at the union hall and on the job. All it takes is practice and time, and most anyone can do it. Hardest part is staying patient though.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:43 pm

I was a welder for 31 years.I guess it all depends if you want to make a career out of it,or just want to become a "farm welder". I was reading in the paper that there is a shortage of all craft workers and they are going to be in larger demand as the boomers are retireing in droves.

Kids today dont like grease and dirt and smelly workplaces.I worked in the Steel Industry and it paid the bills and much more.My two sons would not work there if their life depended on it.LOL
"a man has got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Chicago Blackhawks Six Time Stanley Cup Champions

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:03 pm

I started in 8 th grade at vocational-agriculture class. We arc welded, studied and fixed small engines and had a project where we raised animals at home and learned how to keep records on stuff like feed costs and consumption, expenses and returns on our animals.
I find it pretty funny on what was taught to us in school and what actually helped us make a living in adulthoood. I now weld and repair trains for BNSF and still raise animal's at a monetary loss. But I'm happy :D
If you need help or tips on welding pm me and I can usually tell you what is going on and how to.fix it f you send a picture.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I'd only be going odd and end kinda of welding. Maybe build my own dog box or a roading set up. What would the gear set me back?

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:46 pm

A "Buzz Box" would set you back $300 new,half that used. If you are going to play around,have at it.Building a lightweight metal dog box would be near impossible for a beginner.Thin metal takes experience and a lot more complicated welding machine (wire feed or TIG ). You would be better off with wood for the dog box.
"a man has got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Chicago Blackhawks Six Time Stanley Cup Champions

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Check out harbor freight tools. They have a 220 volt wire feed welder that works great for just about everything around the house. They can be found for 160$ if you catch them on sale and get the 20% off coupon found in American rifleman. They also carry a 110 volt model which is nice since it can be pluggedin anywhere. But it's very limited on the thickness of metal. That model can be had for just a little over 100$. Buy a good electronic welding hood and good wire. The ones that cone with it are junk.

Fester

Post by Fester » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:31 pm

I been a welder for over thirty years, it take a long time to get really good and you can buy several dog boxes for what the machine would cost to weld one

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Fester wrote:I been a welder for over thirty years, it take a long time to get really good and you can buy several dog boxes for what the machine would cost to weld one
I agree. I finished a two year welding program in 1988. Welded for a few years after I got out of the service, then went to machinist school. Aluminum is very unforgiving,and not for a novice, if that's what you want your dogbox made of. On the other hand I've seen some really nice dog boxes, gun boxes, etc made from aluminum that were rivited. Some sheet and angle aluminum,piano hinge, a drill, cut off tool, and a rivet gun.

Something to think about. Good luck with whatever you choose!

JoshHaker

Post by JoshHaker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:18 pm

I just recently laid down my first welds. I welded some brackets to mount a couple of hose reels on my pressure washing trailer. I found it to be pretty easy after an experienced friend of mine showed me how (his dad owned a welding shop). Is definitely technique to it and I found that I needed to move slower than I first thought. i used a wire feed Lincoln

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Best welder for the money IMO would be a Hobart (mig), set you back about $500-$600, pick up some videos instead of taking a class. A mig set up is going to be the easiest to learn how to use, as others have said thin metal is difficult. I would not buy a cheap welder.
Here's the one's I would look at, something like the 140.
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Been at it 20 years for a living,the money is not in quality pieces like the dog box and the horse trailer pictured,the money is in anything construction that keeps liquid in or processes liquid.I gave up the custom fabricator job 10 years ago to pipefitting/welding,great pay but at the end of the day the custom stuff I used to do gives more of a feeling of accomplishment.

ImageImageImage

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:27 pm

Wildweeds wrote:Been at it 20 years for a living,the money is not in quality pieces like the dog box and the horse trailer pictured,the money is in anything construction that keeps liquid in or processes liquid.I gave up the custom fabricator job 10 years ago to pipefitting/welding,great pay but at the end of the day the custom stuff I used to do gives more of a feeling of accomplishment.

What's the story on this one?

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Nike,
This one hauls 6 million dollars worth of horse flesh,high dollar quarter horses.Ranch is in oklahoma and the guy's got more money than davy crockett but you'd never know it,most down to earth common sense having rich guy I've ever met.
nikegundog wrote:
Wildweeds wrote:Been at it 20 years for a living,the money is not in quality pieces like the dog box and the horse trailer pictured,the money is in anything construction that keeps liquid in or processes liquid.I gave up the custom fabricator job 10 years ago to pipefitting/welding,great pay but at the end of the day the custom stuff I used to do gives more of a feeling of accomplishment.

What's the story on this one?

BenelliShooter

Post by BenelliShooter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:18 pm

Started welding one year ago at my local community college. I took a basic welding class to get exposed to all the different types of welding processes. In the last six months I have been welding using the MIG welding process and fabricating. To date I have made a couple of welding tables, bench grinder stands, dog washing stand & a welding cart. I have learned a lot and along the way made some cool stuff. I am going to give TIG a go next year.

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:17 pm

My father was a pipe welder and worked for a pipeline company as well as being a full time farmer. I picked it up from him and went to a community college. The demand here in eastern WY and west NE is very high for pipe welders so I got a job with a pipeline compay and welded for 10 years before moving on to a better job. Right now, if you are not afraid of work it is easy to get a very good job where I live and contract pipe wleders are making well over $100k a year if they stay busy.

The good money is in pipe welding or other specialized jobs but it is not an easy trade to learn. In fact, it's a bit of an art form and not everyone can do it. TIG welding is another specialized trade that can be very lucrative if you get into the right field.