Medial Patellar Luxation in 10 mo old pup.

mikmant

Medial Patellar Luxation in 10 mo old pup.

Post by mikmant » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:18 am

My 10 month old French Brit just got diagnosed with Medial Patellar Luxation in both her knees. Grade 3 in her right and Grade 2 in her left. Her right knee cap gets dislocated frequently and on occasion I have to help her get it back in. The vet showed me how to do it. I was told she would need surgery in both her knees if I want to keep hunting her. Her right knee is bad enough that she will need surgery regardless. I was also told that even with the surgery she will develop arthritis in her knees later in life although she couldn't put a time frame on when that may be. I have an appointment with a surgeon on Wednesday and I'm working on a list of questions. Is there anyone out there with some experience in this who could give me some advice? What should I expect?

Mike
New Hampshire

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Medial Patellar Luxation in 10 mo old pup.

Post by shags » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:10 am

When you consult with the surgeon, make sure he knows your dog is an athlete, not a little couch potato. Might make a difference in which technique he uses to repair, if there is more than one.

FWIW, one of my dogs has severe arthritis due to an injury and the ortho folks at Ohio State small animal suggested a regimen of fish oil and Dasuquin for him. It's been working great, and I was told it might be worthwhile to put the younger dogs on it, too, as a preventive measure. Dasuquin is kind of expensive, but after the loading dose it can be cut back considerably. That makes it way more economical.

Good luck with your pup.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:08 pm

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mikmant

Post by mikmant » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I just got back from a consultation with the surgeon. The pup is scheduled to get both her knees fixed on the 18th. She did say she may have to cut and pin one of the bones in her right knee. If she does that she won't repair the left at the same time. She's worried the pup will try to use the right leg and pull the pins. She said if that happens there's almost nothing she can do to fix it and the pup will have to be put down. She'll be restricted to the kennel for at least 3 weeks and then allowed very short walks for another 3-4 weeks. She said in the end she should be fine and ready to train in the spring without any loss of mobility or restrictions.
shags wrote: FWIW, one of my dogs has severe arthritis due to an injury and the ortho folks at Ohio State small animal suggested a regimen of fish oil and Dasuquin for him. It's been working great, and I was told it might be worthwhile to put the younger dogs on it, too, as a preventive measure. Dasuquin is kind of expensive, but after the loading dose it can be cut back considerably. That makes it way more economical.

She also recommended putting her on fish oil and glucosamine to help offset the inevitable arthritis. Is there a good "inexpensive" on-line source for quality dog supplements?

Mike
New Hampshire

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:56 pm

anamaet endure

http://www.annamaet.com/html/supplements_-_endure.html

I buy wild salmon fish oil caps at Sam's club.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:51 am

My vet checked for his best prices on the veterinary-use fish oil and glucosamine (Dasuquin). He would order them for me and I could have them at cost. The fish oil was expensive compared to caps from Walmart- $25 for fewer caps than the 300/$14 at Walmart; i cut the caps in his food because I'm not so sure they'll dissolve in his gut. I found the Dasuquin MSM a lot cheaper at Amazon - around $70/150 chewables.

There's a loading dose for Dasuquin, takes three or four weeks, then you can cut back so the cost is less.

The regimen has done wonders for my dog. He went from just about three-legged lame to close to normal. I saw results in about ten days. Well worth the expense :D

Best wishes for a great surgical outcome for your pooch.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:59 am

There are some Ebay vendors that have very good deals on Dasuquin.

My GSP had stifle surgery when he was 10m old as well. Ask your vet about sedating him slightly in the crate if you have problems. Acepromazine helped me tremendously with Max....