running a dog at night??

C.painter

running a dog at night??

Post by C.painter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:36 am

with the days being oh so short I have been running my dog a few nights a week in a nearby upland cover type field. I have the beeper run constant so I keep "contact" as to where she is. She is very well mannered and I am not worried about a run off.

However, I was wondering if I am overlooking some risks that might be higher than I think. Or maybe not thinking of something that could become a big issue.

couple things like eye damage due to sticks or something they can't see easily
footing into holes etc.

Any thoughts?

She loves it and still covers ground fast and hard, yet checks back frequently.

Cory

Back

Re: running a dog at night??

Post by Back » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:16 pm

I used to run Walkers quite a bit when I was younger. We would coon hunt all night on the weekends. There are no more opportunities for them to get hurt at night than during the day.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:22 pm

I bought a light which clips on the collar, looks like a low flying ufo when I exercise him at night. When I was traveling alot I had a rubberized flashlight that I would give him to hold when stopping at dark rest stops, so he would not eat anything.

HDAU

Post by HDAU » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:56 pm

What kind of light do you have? I have been looking at the TT one, but have not come off the pocket for it yet.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:28 pm

The light is inexpensive, has flashing mode and steady. Clips on collar D-ring. I think I paid 5 dollars at Petsmart.

bruns333

Post by bruns333 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:20 pm

I have had trouble with the cheap clip on ones and found these that work great, have been durable, with good battery life. My wife runs our hunting dogs very early in the morning before the sun comes up and this help her keep track of them. They are $15 and mine is at least 3 years old and works great.
http://www.adventurelights.com/outdoors ... 84&S=0&O=5

C.painter

Post by C.painter » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:09 pm

bruns333 wrote:I have had trouble with the cheap clip on ones and found these that work great, have been durable, with good battery life. My wife runs our hunting dogs very early in the morning before the sun comes up and this help her keep track of them. They are $15 and mine is at least 3 years old and works great.
http://www.adventurelights.com/outdoors ... 84&S=0&O=5

I picked two of these up. They are small and light but put off a good flash and work great! Thanks! Helps to keep them on top of the collar otherwise hard to see if on one side or the other.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:21 pm

I live about a block and a half from a tribal park, out in the country. The park backs up to Ozark hills, heavy in trees. During the summer it gets hot around here, so I got to night running. I go out to the middle of the park and park the pickup right next to the creek. The park is nothing more than a big ol' mowed field. I roll down the windows and let the dogs go. They tear out the window and off into the hills and up and down the creek. I call them in about every five or ten minutes. They have to run to the car, touch my hand with their nose and they're free to take off again. We'll hang out there for an hour or so then call it a night. I'll usually read, do homework, write or talk to someone on phone... I accidentally dozed off one time for acouple hours (oops!). The only issue we ever had was one time my last Shorthair jumped back into the car and sat in the passenger's seat, shaking like a leaf. I didn't know what was wrong with him, so we headed home. When we got inside it turned out he laid open his underside open pretty good. Besides that we never had a single issue.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:59 am

They make lighted collars, I think Night Light might have them; a friend use's Glow sticks, just fasten's them to the collar.