Missing GSP Clay Center KS.

hartlinejon

Post by hartlinejon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:04 pm

My name is Jon I am new to the forums but I have been a follower for a while. My friend Curt took our GSP to Kansas on Monday and hunted all day around Clay Center KS (Milford wetlands wildlife area) on the west side of Milford Lake between 11th and 12th rd. "Bullitt" our Gsp got spooked around dark and would not load up in the truck for some reason and ran away from the group. At about 9pm they decided to find a local hotel and return to the area at first light, they also left a carpet from the dog box and a shirt. When the guys returned to the area the next morning he was nowhere to be found, they then chose to hunt the same area all day tuesday but didnt have any luck spotting my dog. This dog actually belongs to my 14yr old son who right now is needless to say devastated! I am kicking myself right now for letting our young dog go hunting without me but I thought it best for him to make the trip to find some wild birds. Bullitt unfortunately is not chipped and had no id collar on when he ran off. If anyone has any info or any people that they can contact in the area for us it would be much appreciated, I want to have a happy Christmas and not a sad one! Thanks to everyone especially Hunter for all that has been done already. Curt and I have contacted many people already including the regional game office, landowners, farmers, and locals in town including the radio station. A reward will be paid for his safe return. Bullitt is liver roan patched and ticked with a solid liver head, I will upload a pic tomorrow, Jon 423-421-2751

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:04 am

Photo of Bullit
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355490274.782724.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hunter Payne

SetterNut

Re: Missing GSP Clay Center KS.

Post by SetterNut » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:51 am

I will keep and eye out for the dog.
Steve

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:55 am

SetterNut wrote:I will keep and eye out for the dog.
Ditto. May have to try and head that way.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:48 pm

suggestion.. post him missing on Craigslist in every county in KS. Someone may have picked him up and drove him a long distance. I helped reunited a dog from a neighboring state.... about 200 miles from where it went missing.

there is also a website called City Date.... has a pet section and a state section where you can post.

Good luck!
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:12 pm

This is an update on Bullit. Jon does not have internet access at the time, so I am posting for him.

Bullit was spotted yesterday by a passerby near an old farm shed close to the intersection of 10th and 11th roads. This is close to the Parks and Wildlife Office in the vicinity where he went missing.

Several people have contacted Jon and are going to run dogs in the area to look for Bullit. Jon has been unable to reach them, and we are hopeful this message will reach them through the board.

Thanks all.
Hunter Payne
www.GundogDevelopment.com
770-401-2666
Hunter Payne

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Hoping they find him...He is a great kid with a nice dog....
brenda

V-John

Post by V-John » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:56 pm

dog has been found

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:59 pm

That is awesome! Nothing more sickening than a lost family member. Congrats!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:14 pm

Ill bet there is one happy boy and a very happy pup.

Merry Christmas!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:17 pm

I 2nd what Ezzy said!! :D

V-John

Post by V-John » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:27 pm

When I was looking for the dog, I was about a mile north of where the dog was found. After walking the area for about two hours I called another guy that was out looking and he had told me that they found the dog but couldn't get him in. I went over where they were parked and Bullit wanted to come over but was too skittish to get close. Russ the guy i called, convinced bullit to come in with some deer sausage. Jon is on his way in to pick up bullit and will be in Ks tomorrow. Jon said a Garmin is in his future. :)

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:34 pm

We lost a Vizsla on Sunday and it got returned 22 miles from where it was last seen. The Garmin didn't help one bit but I still won't run my dogs without one.

steamer

Post by steamer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:35 pm

great news. pretty cool how people helped out and found this dog

HDAU

Post by HDAU » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Great end to this story! I am sure that they both will sleep better tonight!

Red

Post by Red » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Great news!!!
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Great news! And yes, awesome how people in the area kicked in to search for him. It goes to show you how important not only our dogs are to us, but also how important others dogs are to us.
Kudos to all that went to search.

Brooks Carmichael

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:32 pm

This is good as it gets when a person finds his lost dog. This is the kind of news I like to hear on the forum.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Great!!!!!
brenda

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Its amazing what the Internet allows us to do within the "virtual community" this forum has created. I talked to Jon a little while ago. He is about 7 hours into an 18 hour drive. I was telling him that if this happened 10 years ago, he probably would not be going to pick Bullit up without the help of this board, it's moderators that maintain it, and the sponsor who supports it.

We are fortunate to have so many dedicated and giving people on this forum as well as the many other boards and rescue sites that rearrange their weekend to help someone in need.

Jon's boy Jarrot was torn up over this, even though he didn't show it when I talked to him. Jon was on the road before the guys had put thief hands on the dog, and he really wanted to go with his dad. Sitting in the truck as they were getting ready to leave, he told his dad he wasn't going to go because he was afraid if they didn't find Bullit tomorrow morning, they would have to come back without him because of school. It was a tough decision he made on his, without council from his mom or dad,,and probably the right decision to get his dog back. Everyone involved should know they not only recovered a lost dog, but also are helping to keep a fine young man involved with the sport.

We were all amazed how quickly the word spread, but we also realized how ill prepared most of us are when something like this happens. We are going to put together a list of links and message boards and post it here, on other forums and boards, and on my website. Hopefully this information will facilitate others if they face a similar situation.

The up side to this is that there are quit a few people that were strangers just a couple days ago that are now friends. It's true, every cloud does have a silver lining.
Hunter Payne

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:23 pm

What good news and thank you to the network of people who made this possible! I'm sure it will be a wonderful moment, when Jarrot gets to see his dog again.

hartlinejon

Post by hartlinejon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:47 pm

I have too many people to thank! Right now I can not reasonably write a proper post after traveling 1700 miles round trip in the last 32 hrs. In the morning after I get to work and settle down I am going to be thanking a lot of people and this forum for helping us. Bullitt is safe at home with his family right now in N Ga. where he belongs! I have been through about every emotion in the last week and feel very lucky to have come in to contact with so many great people from this forum and in Kansas! Lets all pray for the victims and their families of the horrible events that happened last week! Jon

hartlinejon

Post by hartlinejon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:46 pm

What a difference a day makes!! If anyone on here thinks that there are not any good people left in this great country,then please consider what my family has been through in the last few days with our puppy! Because of this forum and many people who I have never met or even talked to before in my life my dog is now safe at home. I guess the first thing I need to do is thank Hunter Payne (Lum Setters) my dog trainer of gundog development for getting the thread started on here after I found out Bullitt was missing Tuesday morning. I have been a reader of this board for a while so I went ahead and regis immediately after I talked to him which really helped. I also need to thank the sec of the east tn. pointing dog assoc Bill Barber for crossing the post on many other boards for me. Here is basically how it all came together, I got a call Friday morning from Kevin Stonehouse of kountryboykennels in Clay Center who informed me that he knew the area real well and was going out to put some dogs on the ground and see what he could do, but he had no luck that afternoon. I believe Kevin saw one of the cross post from another board that Bill had put in on earlier Thursday and had also heard the local radio station reporting it. My secretary at work had put a facebook add on Clay Centers missing dog/cat board on Friday morning as well which prompted a friend of Russ Reynolds of Manhattan KS. to call him and tell him that he had in fact seen Bullitt on Thursday. I received a call from Russ on Friday night telling me that my dog was still out there and he was going to the location first thing Sat am. I then decided I needed to put Russ and Kevin in touch with each other so they could communicate while trying to search the next morning. I also received an email from John (V-John on here) that he was going into the area on Sunday and try and help us out so I also put him in touch with Russ and Kevin. Bullitt was spotted at about 10 30am on Sat morning in the location where he was seen on Thursday but Kevin and Russ could not get him to come in. V-John got in touch shortly after my dog was spotted and joined the group having changed his mind to go in the area Sat instead of Sunday. After many hours of waiting my dog out the guys were finally able to get him to respond to some deer sausage as he was obviously starving by this point. I cannot say enough thanks to the group of guys in Kansas who did this for us by giving up their entire Saturday! I also want to thank all of you guys and gals on this forum for all of the kind words and work that ultimately led to Bullitts safe return! This is mine and my son Jarretts first venture into to the world of owning bird dogs and I have to say that I have never been exposed to a better group of people in my life. I would also like to say that in my opinion that this thing we do is really just about the dogs and we all need to be careful who we let take charge of them in our absence. I think I made a big mistake by letting our dog go to Kansas without someone that he really knew. I hope that I didnt fail to mention anyone who stepped up and gave us a hand because this really means so much to me and my family! I would advise anyone thats planning on hunting anywhere to do a little research here on the board as well as some other dog forums to see who they are going to be around that could help them in the event of an emergency! Thanks again to everyone and especially my friend and neighbor Phillip Grigg for traveling the 1700 miles round trip in less than two days with me! I hope everybody has a safe and Merry Christmas!!!!!! Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russ Reynolds

Post by Russ Reynolds » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm happy to report that Bullitt is now happily back with his family. It took some doing to get the pup to trust me enough to eat from my hand which allowed me to grab him by the collar and retain him. Poor pup was so scared that he would run from me each time I got close to him or called his name. He had been in the wild for 5 days and was very dehydrated and lost alot of body mass according to the owner. The pup is doing well but Jon has taken him to the vet today for check up. Bullitt was in a very coyote rich enviroment and was getting weaker by the day. Today they are forcasting 3-6 inches of snow with low temps in the single didgets for tomorrow. This is one lucky pup as I don't believe he could have made it many more days. I was not alone in this search. There were several people searching for him that day. I guess I'm lucky that I knew the wildlife and parks guys who work in that exact area and contacted them to see if they had seen him. They gave me info that led to the area he was last seen a day before. Thanks to Derick Moon and Brian (sorry i don't know his last name) for the sighting info. Kevin Stonehouse, Chris soupene, and myself chased the pup for hours Saturday morning before I was able to lure the pup in with deer sausage in the late afternoon. Thanks to John Markham who also was out looking for the dog that day and meet up with me just minutes before the rescue. Great work everyone. All of us guys from Kansas just put ourselves in Jon's place and tried or best to put this pup and his family back togeather. For any of us to lose our faithful hunting companions would be devestating. Especiallty at Christmas Time. Do you believe in miracles?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:07 pm

Some how I missed Jon's post on here and just a while ago got them approved so you all can read them. I too want to thank you all for a act that will be forever in a young mans memory.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:16 pm

This thread made me tear up. If one of my fur kids went missing I would be a mess!

Now, Explain the name "Bullit"
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Red

Post by Red » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:39 pm

Do you believe in miracles?
I do now, so happy all worked out...
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

hartlinejon

Post by hartlinejon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:49 am

My 7 year old wanted to name our new dog "Bullet" before we even found a breeder and chose a dog. I knew that I wanted a GSP and convinced my wife to start looking for one with me. We searched gundog breeder and found a kennel below Atlanta that had recently had a litter, turns out the sire of the litters name was Bullet. I have always been a fan of mustangs and Steve McQueen so I thought we would change the spelling up a bit! Thus the name "Bullitt"!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:51 am

Congrats on getting your little one back. One of the reasons I really like this forum and those involved with it. There seems to be no distance we will go to help out ones fury members. What a great end to a story. What a great reason to go hunting in Kansas. If I was closer I would have gone out looking too.

Glad the Kids will have there helper on Christmas. I know that mine love helping open the presents and then chewing the bones wrapped for them.

Christmas would not be the same without them. Ever!!!

Joe

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:30 am

So happy the dog made it home safe...a missing dog is one of the worst feelings in the world.