Let's talk Viszla

tdhusker

Let's talk Viszla

Post by tdhusker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:46 pm

A group of SD pheasant hunters we had were having a pointing dog discussion the other day and Viszla's came up. I haven't been around many and they were house pets, not hunting dogs. What could a guy who hunts wild pheasant most of the time expect? What are the bad breed characteristics like shedding, chewing, barking, digging, behavior around children and in the home?

What about the good, could a hunter expect a big running dog? A dog that hunts dead well (blood tracking and retrieving)? Stamina?
What other breed would you consider the most similar?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Let's talk Viszla

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:08 pm

What do you want?

yogi

Post by yogi » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:23 pm

My vizsla is a great hunter. He is 2 years old and very intelligent. Great retriver and pointer. He ranges from 100ft to 300ft. Ranges further in fields than thickets. You would get a good 5-6hrs hunting in ideal weather. The most similiar breed would have to be the GSP. Shedding is light to mild. As a pup he chewed everything he could get in his mouth. He doesn't bark that often. Doesnt dig. My vizsla is great with kids. A friend of mine has a vizsla and he is very dominate and growls at his 2yr old son. He also goes after other dogs when eating. But I think all breeds have similair issues.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:33 pm

I would agree with the previous poster. Mine are lovable, good with kids, cats and other creatures, easy to live with in the house. Range is also about 100-300 but can go farther. Great at scenting, tracking and pointing. They do shed but I just buy brown furniture and clothes :D . They can have separation issues(though mine do not) are not really kennel dogs. They love to be part of the family and I would say mine are high energy!!! I also have a chewer hence his name is Dyson like the vacumm. I have to say we like the combo of hunting dog and family dog.

Carla

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:37 pm

My old guy turns 13 this month. I took him out Sunday for a short hunt and he would have hunted until he collapsed if I let him. In his prime he was a great pheasant dog. Not much on quail but I never hunted him on them either, he cut his teeth on pheasant. He hunted according to the cover. Thicker the cover closer and more methodically he hunted, thinner the cover he would range out pretty good.

Not much shedding, great around people, kids etc. One thing is most if not all Viszlas love being in the house around people. Mine is at is absolute happiest when he is in the house with the family. My kids taught him to "dance" so when he sees them he jumps up on his hind legs and wants to dance with them. Put him in the field and he is all business though. He seemed to naturally not waste and movements in the field. From a pup he would hunt the cover.

Great dogs and recommend one in a heartbeat. Not sure why I didnt get another 2 or 3 but I didn't. Just make sure you get one from hunting lines. They are going the way of many other of our hunting breeds and into yuppieville.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Well actually, the next breed that is close to them is a Weimer, both dogs where bred with more hound in them for being a dog that was part of the family or "pack". I have seen problems withthem if they get shocked for what ever reason, they seem to get Butthurt and then they heal click cuase they think your mad at them, other wise they are good hunters and great family companions.IMO not wanting to start a arguement!
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

skipjack

Post by skipjack » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 pm

I was given a two year vizsla this fall that's been Garunteed to have never seen a bird. His prey drive seems to be a 1 on a scale of 10. He might chase a song bird ever now and then. Does any one think this might change ? When I take him hunting with my Brittany, he would rather find the closest house and play with their dog. He is good around my two year old son and is not aggressive towards anyone or anything

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:26 pm

My "yuppieville" Vizsla got his Master Hunt title at 17 months; is the first dog of any breed to earn the MHA title and has 19 Field Trial placements including 2 four point major wins. He also has 15 Master Hunt legs and is one the most honest birddogs I've ever seen yet he handles like a dream. I put the Garmin on him the other day and hes casting 400-600 yards routinely out west . He was bred out of the most successful Show Vizsla in history, has made all the cuts at Westminster and was 1st AOM at the 2010 conformation Nationals.

I haven't met a Vizsla yet no matter what lines it's out of that when properly introduced and trained wouldn't hunt.

V-John

Post by V-John » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:29 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:My "yuppieville" Vizsla got his Master Hunt title at 17 months; is the first dog of any breed to earn the MHA title and has 19 Field Trial placements including 2 four point major wins. He also has 15 Master Hunt legs and is one the most honest birddogs I've ever seen yet he handles like a dream. I put the Garmin on him the other day and hes casting 400-600 yards routinely out west . He was bred out of the most successful Show Vizsla in history, has made all the cuts at Westminster and was 1st AOM at the 2010 conformation Nationals.

I haven't met a Vizsla yet no matter what lines it's out of that when properly introduced and trained wouldn't hunt.
You coming to NVA Nationals at Grovesprings? I hope to be there, would like to see him run.

I have five in the house right now. Three I purchased, one I was fostering for rescue, and decided to keep. I'm fostering a ten year old, that is going to a new home in California.
I've foster more dogs than I can remember. I've lost track of names and numbers sadly. I buried one last year, that died on the operating table.
Each and everyone of them different. I saw some that had great prey drive, I saw some that didn't have any interest. They all made great pets, they all housebroke, they all had tremendous personalities.
Range, like anything else, is dependent on cover and breeding. You can certainly find closer working dogs, and find bigger running dogs, but it will be trickier to find those. The rescue that I kept has tons of prey drive but routinely stays pretty close. He is a ball of energy, running all over the place, but stays close. One runs big when he needs to. He has a couple "show points" too. Very calm in the house. My older male used to run a lot, but is slowing down. Still, is hard on quail, especially singles. My youngest, is a doll in the house and runs pretty big. She's won some in the "pointer trials" around here. So we'll see how she turns out.
The boys hunt dead really well. Shedding? They shed, just like any other dog. Quite a bit, really. Don't believe me? You should see my car. :)

What it boils down to is this. Doing your research and knowing the lines. Lines are different, just like any other breed. Find someone who is reputable within the breed and look at the dogs that they are producing. Some lines I wouldn't touch, and others I would recommend, but that's based on personal preference. It is dependent on what you want.
Dogs will bark, dogs will chew and dogs will dig, if they are bored enough. Mine don't really chew, but will happily dig holes if I leave them outside long enough and they get bored. My dogs live in the house with us, and like to sleep under the covers. As the others said, they really do better in the house.
Love the breed though. Smart.
(And I hope that I didn't come across as bragging, or full of myself. That was not the intent.)

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Let's talk Viszla

Post by ACooper » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 am

We lost our old V last year at 14, he was a double bred Askim dog if I remember correctly. He was much more "bulky" than most Vs I see today, absolutely beautiful dog. 100% natural taught him to whoa and he did everything else right out of the box. Great personality, great ability, no aggression with dogs or people. I really miss Rooster he was special.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:32 am

Husker, like any breed, if you are looking for a hunting dog, with a few exceptions, your closest thing to a guarantee is to get one from generations of proven hunting and trial lines. I have been very pleased with my three vizslas and will always have at least one in my pack (although the next addition will be a pointer).

Remember, it is common that owners of a certain breed will speak mostly positive of it. And non-owners of a certain breed often only remember the one that didn't hunt or the one that was aggressive or the one that died of cancer at a young age, etc.

The breed generally does not shed as much as others, and is very easy to care for. Occasional brushing and bathing will keep a decent coat. No burrs to remove after hunting and much easier to find ticks in the short red hair.

Most are known as very people oriented dogs and don't do as well when left as outside kennel dogs. As a rule they strive for human interaction and are sometimes referred to as velcro dogs. Many, including mine are a bit on the soft side and do not take to harsh, heavy handed training. I believe one poster mentioned a bad response to the e-collar. When introduced and used properly, the e-collar will not have negative effects and is a great training tool for any breed.

Range can vary from dog to dog and they are not known for one extreme or another. Two of mine from identical breeding had completely different styles of run. One was a big runner that covered good ground and another is a much closer methodical worker. Regarding your question on stamina; although some is genetic, conditioning is the most important factor in stamina. They are quick and agile and when kept in proper condition, you can enjoy long days in the field.

As you inquired about blood tracking and retrieving, they are a versatile breed and should have no problems with either task. I personally have not done any blood tracking work with mine. All of mine have a natural insticnt to retrieve, however I am still a believer in force breaking. Others will disagree with force breaking and this is a decision that only you should make with your dog.

Other posters have said they are closest to GSP's and weims. These are all continentals and they share similar traits. As with some of the other continentals, vizslas can also be a bit high strung and have a good amount of energy, but they also enjoy curling up for a regular nap. Proper exercise is recommended for all dogs regardless of size or breed.

I'm sure that you would be pleased with the breed. Although I'm sure there are some out there, I have not personally talked with vizsla owners who were disappointed with the breed. Again, like any breed, I think that you are best to choose from proven hunting or trial lines and when properly trained and conditioned you will have a great companion in the field.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 am

ACooper wrote:We lost our old V last year at 14, he was a double bred Askim dog if I remember correctly. He was much more "bulky" than most Vs I see today, absolutely beautiful dog. 100% natural taught him to whoa and he did everything else right out of the box. Great personality, great ability, no aggression with dogs or people. I really miss Rooster he was special.
Pretty much the same with my old guy. I taught him "here" and to change directions in the field when I whistled with my mouth. Never did I have to say a word to him while hunting. He seemed to be able to read my mind most of the time. He picked up most everything on his own. I'd take him out into my pastures and let him point meadowlarks and wild quail. He learned on his own that chasing them was a waste of time and energy. He would point them for as long as they would sit, then when they flew we would be off to find the next one. He loved it! He spends his time now in the small pasture on the fence line mouse hunting and in the summer he will go to one of the ponds and hunt muskrats. Never gets any but he thinks it's great fun! His favorite past times as a retired guy.

Funny story about him though. I lost him one day about 10 yrs ago. I think he was stolen while I had let him out to clean pens maybe. Looked everywhere for him. Placed an ad in the paper and this little old lady calls from the southwest side of town about 25 miles away. Says I think I have your dog. He had a blue collar on him when he found her house and I didn't own a blue collar. Anyway, she had him in her house for a couple of days letting him sleep in her bed with her. She said she didn't know what to feed him and was cooking him steak! Went and got him that day and he was reluctant to leave that house and the steak! He must have thought he died and gone to heaven! Steak dinners, getting to sleep in a bed, no schedule, on vacation!

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:26 pm

Like pretty much any breed, some lines are better at what they were bred to do than others. If you want a good field trial or hunting dog, your best bet is to go to a good field trial/hunting line. Just like if you want a good show dog, you don't go to a line with no proven success in the ring. It's no different.

All of mine are, of course, awesome. :) Great around the house, great with kids, etc. They've got a lot of energy, but I avoid using the term 'high-strung'. To me that means manic/OCD, etc. My dogs like to run and have energy to burn, but they're not nuts. :)

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:50 pm

I don't own a vizsla but I do train one for a neighbour. She is showbred but she loves working. She is not usually a wide ranger but very few vizslas in Britain seem to range well out. She handles any kind of cover, swims well and is a good , soft mouthed retriever. Easy to train but a bit on the sensitive side. She is very good natured and playful with other dogs and with people or children. I like her very much but I don't think she would win in trials, her hunting range would not be good enough for some of our trials. I don't know how much hair she sheds, she isn't in my house.
I'd say the GSP is the breed to have if trialing is important to you. There are far more of them to choose from and most of them will outrange and outpace the vizslas.

Bill T.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Trekmoor, does that Vizsla have any Yogi in it? I hear he is used over there quite a bit.

V-John

Post by V-John » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:My "yuppieville" Vizsla got his Master Hunt title at 17 months; is the first dog of any breed to earn the MHA title and has 19 Field Trial placements including 2 four point major wins. He also has 15 Master Hunt legs and is one the most honest birddogs I've ever seen yet he handles like a dream. I put the Garmin on him the other day and hes casting 400-600 yards routinely out west . He was bred out of the most successful Show Vizsla in history, has made all the cuts at Westminster and was 1st AOM at the 2010 conformation Nationals.

Is he going to be at the NVAs in Grovespring? Hope so would like to see him run.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:19 pm

V-John, check your PM' and let me know if you got the one I sent you. I wanna make it clear that I never meant to imply that my dogs could win National's but the OP asked about hunting. Everything I stated is facts about what we have achieved. If titles like MH, MHA and FT placements including wins is not enough then how about the fact that he has 20 AKC titles in Field, Obedience, Conformation and Agility. I'm willing to bet my life that if I didn't have 4 V's that have over 60 AKC titles in those venues then I could easily have achieved FC's. It takes a lot of time training and money to be able to achieve all of the titles the I have while never letting a pro do th'e training. Sorry but I'm competitive and my dogs can do it all and we prove it regardless of what a piece of paper says. Enjoy your dogs and whatever you decide to do with them.

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:10 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:V-John, check your PM' and let me know if you got the one I sent you. I wanna make it clear that I never meant to imply that my dogs could win National's but the OP asked about hunting. Everything I stated is facts about what we have achieved. If titles like MH, MHA and FT placements including wins is not enough then how about the fact that he has 20 AKC titles in Field, Obedience, Conformation and Agility. I'm willing to bet my life that if I didn't have 4 V's that have over 60 AKC titles in those venues then I could easily have achieved FC's. It takes a lot of time training and money to be able to achieve all of the titles the I have while never letting a pro do th'e training. Sorry but I'm competitive and my dogs can do it all and we prove it regardless of what a piece of paper says. Enjoy your dogs and whatever you decide to do with them.
No, I did not get any such PM. Nothing. Musta went to another V-John.
Anyways, I enjoy watching good dogs run, and as you have repeated stated, you have a good one. That's great! I understand the time and money aspect though. I'm not sure why you are getting so defensive, as I simply asked if you were going to be at the NVAs. Grovespring is a beautiful trial course, really. Many different dogs from all over, compete, some titled, some not. But I would figure that ones that could easily achieved a FC title would have a great shot. ;)
You stated you would like to join the NVAs, and running a dog there is a great way to get to know people in the organization. It's a great organization with good people.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:33 am

Sorry if it sounded defensive, it really was intended to be realistic. I'm thinking of retiring him soon so I can concentrate on other dogs. If you save your VCA News Magazines he is on the cover of the Nov. 2010 edition. In the Bio I even refer to him as my "yuppie" dog so I don't know why I took offense to the previous post. I guess I just separate hunting and trialing and have seen a lot of good hunting dogs that didnt have a lot of FC''s in the ped. No offense intended and my appologies go out to whomever got the PM that was intended for V-John. I'm sure we will cross paths at a future event V-John, I look forward to seeing your dog run also.

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:02 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Sorry if it sounded defensive, it really was intended to be realistic. I'm thinking of retiring him soon so I can concentrate on other dogs. If you save your VCA News Magazines he is on the cover of the Nov. 2010 edition. In the Bio I even refer to him as my "yuppie" dog so I don't know why I took offense to the previous post. I guess I just separate hunting and trialing and have seen a lot of good hunting dogs that didnt have a lot of FC''s in the ped. No offense intended and my appologies go out to whomever got the PM that was intended for V-John. I'm sure we will cross paths at a future event V-John, I look forward to seeing your dog run also.
Non taken, really. As far as retiring goes, I understand that. I have one, that I trialed some this year, and he has slowed down considerably, and it breaks my heart. Good luck though!

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Brazo, sounds like you have quite the machine there, congratulations. Do you have his pedigree posted somewhere? I would like to take a look at it.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:34 pm

They are the same as any other breed - some are good, some are bad. Harder to find a good vizsla imo than a GSP though. Whereas my GSP puppy has no problem going out big already, it took a while for the V to figure it out - and it's still not a guarantee everytime he is down. Sometimes it's 150 yards, sometimes 800, never know :). Honest as it gets and works hard no matter what - hunts every sq. inch which can shorten him up.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Madmurph, i will work on getting his ped up somewhere but that is what prompted my first post. You have to go back 4 generations to find DC AFC Deacon Dandy. River City Quentin Cassidy MH is in the 2nd gen and a Rebel Rouser, Kizmar, Boshar's, Koppertone, Oakleaf, and Russet Leather all in the 3rd gen. All of these dogs have their CH but if you went by titles alone not knowing that those lines have produced good hunting dogs, you Would think they could only show. Being in California where few people trial V's the breeder sells to her market. She used to trial and tries to do her best for Versatility. In order here the market goes Pet, Show, Agility Hunt, Hunt test, Trial. There's only been 4 dogs out of our breedings that have trialed, mine, his half brother and 2 Derby dogs. The 2 Derbys both got a 2nd place in their 1st and only trial, the half brother didn't enter his 1st trial until he was 4 and has 14 placements. He also has 4 Best in Shows. In my opinion, breeding for Dual Champions is the most difficult thing. You not only have to produce a dog that can win Trials, Be Conformationally correct enough to win shows but you also have to find enough homes willing to commit to that. I'm exhausted after 6 years of chasing 5 CH titles but I'm only points away from tying Chartay's record. :D

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Jeff, use perfect pedigrees offered on here. You could have Bautte's ped show up in your sig like Lucy's is in mine.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Thanks Brad I'll look at that. You going up to Cal City?

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Yep, only Friday though. Money is tight. Should be able to scout some for Warren.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:40 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Thanks Brad I'll look at that. You going up to Cal City?
Brazos, I did a circuit in CA last spring. I didn't take pictures at every trial(including a vizsla trial)but here are some from one trial out there ever I saw three V's run in. Know these dogs?
https://m.facebook.com/home.php?__user= ... 0&__user=0

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Was that an AM. trial or AKC. Do you remember the name of those grounds?

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:56 pm

It was Akc horse back at Santa Nella, I believe...?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 pm

I wouldn't take anything for my V boy. He's an awesome dog. Hunts well for me - took first in the PF/QF National Birddog Classic women's pointing division with a run of 3:41 on 3 pheasants. He LOVES to swim, LOVES to retrieve - absolutely is more people oriented than any dog I've owned. Loves kids, enjoys doing youth hunts. He has his MH title and I've killed sage grouse, ruffed grouse, woodcock, pheasant, tons of quail, prairie chickens, and ducks over him. His only major flaw IMO, is that his nose isn't as good as my EP's nose. He finds birds, he hunts dead, and anyone can hunt behind him - he's very easy to handle. As a personal dog, he's been to over a hundred sportshows, youth events, rabbit hunts, etc. etc. He's the most intelligent dog I've ever owned - maybe too much so sometimes (and I grew up with border collies). He loves agility classes in the "off" season.

He's one of now 4 birddogs I own, and the only "V" I've got. He's 8 now and I've hunted with many folks from the showme vizsla club - and continue to enjoy the red dogs. I've fostered probably 15 or so Vizslas - all with varying degrees of interest in birds. You'll need to do your research and find a good breeder. I was set to get a pup from a breeding that will occur in a month or so.... but decided to wait until my boy is a little older before getting his "replacement." I might kick myself for waiting - this litter looks very good to me - with more of a field trial type litter than mine came from.

If you like a dog that lives to please you, then a Vizsla is for you - especially the males. If you prefer a more standoffish dog, then don't get a V. They are velcro dogs - be prepared to lock them out of the bathroom if you ever want to pee without an audience again!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Trekmoor, Looks like the GSP trial in mid March? If so, I drove 8hrs to the grounds at Hastings Island on Sat. To earn the last leg of my MHA title and then I drove back 2hrs south to run in the trial there on Sunday and took 2nd in AGD. If that's the trial I'm thinking about, that was one of my happiest weekends.