They're not called Pointers, they're Shorthairs!!!!!

hustonmc

They're not called Pointers, they're Shorthairs!!!!!

Post by hustonmc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:42 pm

So this is the 2nd time this has happened, this is from the last incident. I pull into parking lot with my dog topper.

Stranger: You running cat dogs?
Me: No, bird dogs.
Stranger: Oh, Labs huh!
Stranger: ...........................
Me: I run Pointers.
Stranger: OK, my brother in-law does that, has some nice Pointers.
Me: (Now my mood changed, interest is peeked). Name is Matt. (Shake hands) You know the breeding on his pointers?
Stranger: Sure do............... German
Me: German?
Stranger: Ya, German bred pointers.
Me: You mean German Shorthaired Pointer?
Stranger: That's what I said.
Me: (rolling eyes) Gotta run.

bmcox86

Re: They're not called Pointers, they're Shorthairs!!!!!

Post by bmcox86 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Don't feel to bad, I get told weekly that my english setter is a nice looking Brittany. Always different ppl, too.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 pm

GSPs, preferred most by cat hunters everywhere.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:38 pm

"You have a white pit bull? He showed up in my yard and is trying to eat barbeque."

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Try owning Vizslas and GSP's and explaining that at the gas station. It's just easier for me to say pointers and be done with it since that is what they do.

Try being at a dogshow with your girlfriend watching the Vizslas go around the ring when she turns around and says "that's the ugliest Vizsla I've ever seen standing behind u's"! WheN I turned and looked I couldn't help but feel totally embarrassed for her. It was a Redbone Coon hound. :?:

mask

Post by mask » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Yep, might just as well call them what they are. :lol:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:14 pm

It's envy Matt :lol:

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:08 pm

You have to be nice. To a lay person, if it has Pointer in its name, it can be confusing.

Try having a breed that is a pointing breed being called a Springer. I use to try and correct but anymore I don't care and I just let them call them whatever they want to.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:13 pm

I don't get why you would get upset about someone with little experience with bird dogs confusing a breed. :roll:

Maybe teaching them the difference would be a better approach.

Just saying

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Maybe he had just a little experience and you didn't mention that you run English Pointers instead of German ones? He may have bee rolling his eyes while walking away.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Maybe he had just a little experience and you didn't mention that you run English Pointers instead of German ones? He may have bee rolling his eyes while walking away.

They aren't "English" they are Pointers .

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:22 am

birddog1968 wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Maybe he had just a little experience and you didn't mention that you run English Pointers instead of German ones? He may have bee rolling his eyes while walking away.
?

I think their standard breed name is "English" pointer. Unless akc has changed that.... :wink:

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 am

Pointers is pointas and settas is settas and thems birddogs,sorry continental breed folks yours are considered dogs that find birds but not actually "birddogs" to the true blue redneck crew.

I had a kid in near the great falls area ask if we were running "lions" when he saw my pointer.The funny part about that was that 2 years later that pointer did take off and chase a coug up a tree in washington.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 am

campgsp wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:
?

I think their standard breed name is "English" pointer. Unless akc has changed that.... :wink:
For some reason I don't think they are talking about AKC stuff.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:44 am

Try large Munsterlander, I met exactly 3 folks at dog parks the knew what one was. And trying to explain it as very similar to a German Long haired pointer does not help in most cases.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:07 am

AF calls them Pointers, AKC calls them Pointers and even westminster calls them pointers.....

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 am

It is funny how many times I have been in a situation such as getting gas or transfer station , bank .Places where you do encounter the general public. "What kind of dog is he? " I typicaly smile & nod at Max in the truck and say who him ? & My response is always the same " He's a little brown dog " :D The people love & usually repond with he's a nice looking dog.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:10 am

I feel your pain, man! A couple of years ago I had someone call my Heeler a pit bull, I've had someone call my Malinois a Dobe/Shepherd cross and one person actually argued with me that she was a Shepherd! The other day I was at Subway, just getting back in the pickup and had Moxy and Cinna hanging out the windows, just begging for attention from passers by, when one guy passed by and yelled back, "nice lookin' dogs - Brittany Spaniel?" I gave up long ago trying to explain to people why Britts aren't spaniels (I can only imagine what the Britt folks go through), so I just grinned and said, "nope, Setter."

On the flip side, it is a real pleasure when you get someone who rolls up out of no where and really knows the breed. I was parked at a gas station awhile back and Cinna was hanging out the window as usual while I was in the store, and when I got back from paying for gas a lady was at the window just loving on her. I thought the lady was going to break out in tears. She said Cinna was the first Setter she'd seen since her's was taken from her yard years ago. She even asked if she was a Llew or an English. Had one guy comment on Moxy and we sat and spoke for awhile about his old dogs and such. He'd been to Ames and everything. That was nice.

pointer

Post by pointer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:23 am

I have had people confuse my pointers with several breeds also. They normally ask about my GSP's which I think is the most common comment.

My personal favorite is people commenting on my Dalmation. He is actually a tri-color setter that is predominately white with ticking.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:26 am

Ha ha - I had the same thing with my GSP - she was always called a dalmation. The Vizsla has been called a redbone. Crazy people out there!

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 am

This wasn't about confusion of breed. I'd understand that, some people just don't know. Do I care to explain to them, no, but that's me. But the main point, Shorthairs are not called Pointers. Only Pointers are called Pointers. German Shorthaired Pointers are: Shorthairs, GSP's, not Pointers. I brought this up because I see it in here all the time. "Pointer won't Point". Then it turns out "Pointer" is a Spanoni. It's a simple case of mis-informed, this should help it.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:49 am

No such thing as a German Pointer....................

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:26 am

hustonmc wrote:
I have a GWP. I'd argue it's a German pointer. Not a German Pointer, however. Tough to hear capitalization.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:43 am

hustonmc wrote:

How about a German Longhaired Pointer...German Wirehaired Pointer......German Shorthaired Pointer. Notice the ed on the end of the word describing the type of coat on the German pointers. It doesn't say they are Shorthairs but it says they are shorthaired Pointers. We are the ones who started calling the German pointers Shorthairs instead of the right name. And that is fine but we can't say there are no German pointers.

Ezzy

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:47 am

When I had my black and white pointer, people always called him a dalmation, got to the point where I would just nod my head and drive away. What took the cake though, is when I was in the yard running my ryman type english setter, when the neighbor came over with his kids to see the dog, and he says, now kids this is a dalmation, are you kidding me a english setter, I could kinda see calling my pointer a dalmation, but not my setter. I just smiled and said, no it is an english setter. No matter what, the kids loved her.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 am

I wonder if the dogs just look at each other and roll their eyes at all the humans arguing about kind of pointing setting spaniels they are... :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Stranger: Oh, Labs huh!

I always use that line!!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:01 pm

SHORTFAT wrote:I wonder if the dogs just look at each other and roll their eyes at all the humans arguing about kind of pointing setting spaniels they are... :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
Dogs would have a lot to say if they could speak. :)

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:21 pm

I understand the frustration!!! I have a black and white GSP and every body says " I didnt know Dalmations hunted", or even better " How come you docked your labs tail?" when they see my sloid black GSP or when I had my solid liver GSP. Godbless the uninformed.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:16 pm

Ummm...hello....you do live in eastern oregon...As a fellow oregonian i didn't even realize that prissy white dogs were allowed in the state 8)

hartlinejon

Post by hartlinejon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:25 am

The funniest thing that ever happened to me was when my son and I were standing out in front of a restaurant a few months ago waiting on my wife to arrive. I have two gsp's the male is patched and ticked and my female is just ticked, both have liver heads. We had been up at gundog dev all day training and were letting the dogs relieve themselves when this lady pulls up next to us in a very high end car and rolls down the window:

Lady: " What kind of dogs are those? "

Me: "They are both German shorthair pointers!"

Lady: "Oh! When I was a kid my Granddad had a few dogs just like that, he always just told me they were "birddogs" I thought thats what yours were!

Me: "Right, birddogs"

Lady: "Well they sure are pretty though"---she then rolls here window back up and drives away!

My little boy looks up and me and just starts laughing uncontrollably! Guess you all would had to have been there! I take my dogs out whenever I have them and take them into places that allow pets to enter and I am always surprised at the different reactions I get. I run into a lot of people that know exactly what they are but most people are shocked when they see them I guess because the way they are colored and marked up.

ladder63ff

Post by ladder63ff » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:27 pm

pointer wrote:I have had people confuse my pointers with several breeds also. They normally ask about my GSP's which I think is the most common comment.

My personal favorite is people commenting on my Dalmation. He is actually a tri-color setter that is predominately white with ticking.
I have people always saying what a pretty dalmation I have, shes actully a llewelling setter. that just confuses them more.

joshlaugh

Post by joshlaugh » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:38 am

Not many Brittanys around where I live, and most follow up with that is a spaniel right? I explain the difference between a pointing dog and a flusher. My wife is sick of me explaining it, rolls her eyes and walks away. I say I am trying to educate people, and my wife thinks people who don't hunt don't know or care and why do I bother.