UTV motor question.

Ghosted3

UTV motor question.

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:59 pm

For a side by side, or UTV whichever people would like to call them, which is a better motor, gas or diesel powered? I hope this is a more clear and easier answer than for trucks lol.

Thanks,
Corry

Double Shot Banks

Re: UTV motor question.

Post by Double Shot Banks » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:01 pm

I dont know a whole lot, but i know the main reason people use diesel is because a lot of farmers use them and dont want to buy separate fuel for the UTV, Other than that i think its just the same as trucks, i think the gas ones are usually faster but that might be because they make more for fun
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:17 pm

That makes sense, thanks.

Corry

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:27 pm

Just like with a truck, if you want more low end power (torque), like to pull something or use implements go diesel. Even though it costs more at purchase, unlike a truck, since you can buy off road diesel, fuel costs are about the same, plus the diesel will get better mpg or more accurately hours per gallon.

I had one K-mule from 1998 until 2012, that I used hard, worked so well, I just bought a new Trans Mule, both were gas.

Properly maintained, I believe they will last about the same for recreation and medium duty farm/ranch.

I will say were a real rancher/farmer I would go with the Kabota, or even the more expensive Bobcat, diesels.

Your call.

I would highly recommend you consider ones with a back seat, I can haul 4 people and 4 dogs. (Actually often carry 4 adults and 2 - 4 kids).

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:14 pm

Neil wrote:Just like with a truck, if you want more low end power (torque), like to pull something or use implements go diesel. Even though it costs more at purchase, unlike a truck, since you can buy off road diesel, fuel costs are about the same, plus the diesel will get better mpg or more accurately hours per gallon.

I had one K-mule from 1998 until 2012, that I used hard, worked so well, I just bought a new Trans Mule, both were gas.

Properly maintained, I believe they will last about the same for recreation and medium duty farm/ranch.

I will say were a real rancher/farmer I would go with the Kabota, or even the more expensive Bobcat, diesels.

Your call.

I would highly recommend you consider ones with a back seat, I can haul 4 people and 4 dogs. (Actually often carry 4 adults and 2 - 4 kids).
Thanks for the info, one of the top 3 that I am checking out is actually the 3010 trans Mule

Corry

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:54 am

unless I already owned a diesel vehical I wouldnt waste the money on buying a diesel UTV. The added cost of repair/maintenance of a diesel plus the added purchase price wouldn't justify it for me.

There isnt much you can do with a diesel that you cant do with Gas when your talking about such a small vehical.... I seriously doubt the added towing capacity would make much difference one way or another for the average UTV owner.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:53 pm

I'd like to add, that diesel's will run on home heating oil. If you are a farmer, you can usually get tanks to fuel your vehicles for your farm use only... therefore its easier/safer to keep larger quantities of fuel. Usually only applies to those with tractors as well, running on their own property, or at least off road only.

Again, if you have other diesels, it makes sense to keep to one fuel, for the tractor, truck, utv, etc.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:34 am

I've got both. The gas get's used far and away the most. Unless your plugged in, a diesel may or may not start in cold weather. You can keep starting fluid around but the first time you need it, you won't remember where it is. For what most people do, the extra power of a diesel is not needed. Maintenance will pretty much wash depending on where you take them. The biggest factor though is the price of diesel fuel over gas, to big a spread to take advantage of. My present diesel is an old Ford with two wheel drive. I don't use it a lot but go out and let it run now and then to get it warmed up, about 15 mpg is the best it does, MTY. For off the road stuff, I've got a full size bronco and a Jeep Cherokee.

There is an advantage for the diesel, life span. My old ford has about 150,000 miles on it. Just getting broke in well. I've known a lot of guy's hauling RV's for a living. No one uses gas, loads can just get to heavy to haul. One guy I worked with had a 2000 Ford diesel and at 650,000 mi, decided it was time to change it out, gun shy. It didn't use much oil, got good fuel mileage and pulled great. Another guy from Wisconsin was running an early dodge with the Cummins in it. Claimed he had over a million miles on it at that point. When a diesel is just getting broke in well, the gas engine is getting ready to go under or already has. Another factor with diesel's is they are very heavy, take one off road to far and you could get pretty stuck.

One thing you seldom see pulling RV's for a living is Chevy diesels. To many break down and shorter engine life and more expensive. I asked when I was pulling about the Cheys duro-max and every body had the same story about them.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Thank you all for the feedback it is very much appreciated and you have all helped me make my choice a lot easier.

Corry

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:35 pm

One thing to think about: Deisel will gel up in cold weather and may not start. If you are camping with it or up country like around here.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick