our first baby.....

Adamdirk

our first baby.....

Post by Adamdirk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:50 pm

within the next couple of weeks my wife and I will be bringing home our first child, a daughter. we were already told about bringing home a blanket she has been wrapped in and letting the dogs smell it and get used to it. is there anything else we can do?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: our first baby.....

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:56 pm

I can't help you as we never did anything but never had a problem either. Never saw a dog upset with a baby though I a sure it must have happened to someone.

Ezzy

Adamdirk

Post by Adamdirk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:00 pm

we have just heard there might be an adjustment phase, but I hope not.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:11 pm

First of all... Congratulations on your first child! Time flys. Mine are 20 & 18, and it seems like yesterday.

As far as dogs, I never had a problem, besides one just wanting to play a little rough. You know your dog (or dogs) better than anyone. From my experience they usually share in your joy. I had a female GSP that stayed in the house when both my boys were born. To say that she became protective of both of them would be an understatement. Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

higghs

Post by higghs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Check the YouTube "Emerson and Maggie".

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:32 am

Congradulations!!! We had our first back in June 2012. I know how you're feeling. We did the blanket thing, but with a knit hat that she wore in the hospital. I don't know if it changed anything with my boys. Both of them became VERY protective and knew what was going on I think when we finally got home. Our non-hunting dog wouldn't even come outside to use the bathroom!

Good Luck and cherish every moment you have!! They will not want to be held and be walking in no time!!

hunterw/newhobby

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks for bringing back some very happy memories. We didn't do anything different with our dogs when the baby came home but I kinda got they impression the dogs understood the rules anyway. My boxer is three months younger than my 7 year old and she was the most protective, calm, and best play buddy he had. There was one day she laid in front of the steps and refused to move becuase he was on the floor crawling around. Those dogs are probably smarter than we all give them credit for. My GSP is the same age as my second son and she loves to rough house with the 7 year old like a puppy but will let my 3 yr old do whatever and not move a muscle. She is also a lot gentler now when she plays with the younger one compared to the older one. The big thing is monitor the situation closely and make sure they understand the pack order (adults, kids,....then dogs). Mine figured that out really quickly and we have had no problems. Congrats to your family and make lots of memories. Mine are still young but I can already tell it goes quickly.
Ross

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Most importantly make sure that someone has control of the dog, be it leash, holding its collar,whatever, and let it sniff around. I have never had a bad or even mild reaction, but you can never be too safe with a baby. Grats on the baby!!!

Corry

HDAU

Post by HDAU » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:40 pm

I just found this thread. Our first child (girl also) will be here at the end of March and I am excited/nervous about how our young GSP male will respond. Keep us all posted and let me know if you have any other tips.

Adamdirk

Post by Adamdirk » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:25 pm

wow what a crazy week! our daughter,Harper, was born on Tuesday march 5th . she was 8.2 lbs and 20 in. mom and baby are doing great. the transition home went about as well as it could have. my year old gsp has some energy so we keep an eye on him constantly, but he loves the addition.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:11 am

That is great news!!!

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:29 am

Congratulations! Glad to hear mama and baby Harper are doing well.

HDAU

Post by HDAU » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:50 am

Congrats!

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:13 pm

Congrats, glad to hear all is going well! We love baby & pup pcs...hint, hint :D

buckmaster

Post by buckmaster » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:27 pm

I have 4 kids under 10, and have always had adult dogs and puppies around.
I am a firm believer that dogs either understand that babies/kids are little people and need to be treated delicately or they don't...and sadly it is not something you can really teach them. The only issue I have had is with a versatile dog, a munsterlander....it was a lap dog with me...played well with my two toddlers...but looked at babies like they were prey...hard to describe, but disturbing enough I could just tell. Never had an issue with any of our setters.
Maybe the best example I could give is when we go back to the in-laws in Texas, all of their trial dogs and trial labs are outside kennel dogs, and never ever come into contact with children other than mine on rare occasion. From the first time they come in contact with the kids you can tell...some just don't get it.. about 1/3 would run them over, 1/3 would ignore them like they don't exist...then 1/3 the first time out of the kennel, hard charging no quit trial dogs....tip toe around the toddlers like they are made of fine china, and gently give them a lick. Its amazing to watch the difference, and the lack of correlation to hunting style and personality.